Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/08/2016, 12:25 PM   #1
whodeewuhdee
Registered Member

Treating coral frags that have nuisance algae

Is there a way to treat frags that have nuisance algae like GHA on them?

I see plenty of frags being sold but if you look carefully in the photos there is green hair either on frag surface and/or on the surrounding rock in the host tank. I just don't want to end up paying money for a nice coral but subsequently introducing this hell of a "virus" into my system as well.

I just want to take every single precaution in eliminating the introduction of nuisance algae from coral frags into my new system. I've been through lengthy GHA outbreaks a couple years ago in old tank and almost broke my tank down because of it.

whodeewuhdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2016, 12:29 PM   #2
oblio
Registered Member

Pretty simple, when you get a frag remove it from the plug. The algae is not likely on the live tissue. This is also a good way to avoid pests. I treat all frags coming in, then snap them off the plug, treat again, re-glue onto new plug and into the tank they go. This of course is not perfect, many month quarantine is the only true way to avoid unwanted additions. But you will find that most additions find there way into the tank via the plug or rock they are attached too.
My 2cents

Unread 09/24/2016, 11:57 AM   #3
jdantunes
Registered Member

@oblio. May I ask what are you dipping them into when you say treatment? And why do it twice? Isn't less stress for the coral if you snap the plug or rock, glue it into a new one and then treat them? I don't get why the first round of it?

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Deep Blue Rimless
jdantunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2016, 06:47 PM   #4
Snookster
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblio View Post
pretty simple, when you get a frag remove it from the plug. The algae is not likely on the live tissue. This is also a good way to avoid pests. I treat all frags coming in, then snap them off the plug, treat again, re-glue onto new plug and into the tank they go. This of course is not perfect, many month quarantine is the only true way to avoid unwanted additions. But you will find that most additions find there way into the tank via the plug or rock they are attached too.
My 2cents
+1

Snookster is offline   Reply With Quote