Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/07/2018, 08:21 AM   #526
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfoxgrover View Post
After many many hours of research into starting my second DIY LED build I took the advice of one of the resident DIY LED experts and bought Maxspect Ethereal lights instead of a DIY project. I am very impressed with the light that come out of them. Maxspect definitely had someone reading all these threads and they put a lot of the information here into a solid product. I am surprised they are not more popular. That said I think the Blue Acro lights sound pretty awesome. I hope to see one in action someday.
Thanks. I've looked at those but again for me it is the price point. If I turn up empty then I'll have no choice but to turn to boxed. My only complaint is that all of the manufactures are using their own controllers. I wish they would offer a version that doesn't use one to integrate our own. Both of my current LED systems are using either my Apex or Reef Angel.

Thanks again for the info. I'll keep an eye out.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2018, 09:19 AM   #527
lingwendil
Man who sold the world

Location: Oakley, behind enemy lines in communist occupied California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
Thanks. I've looked at those but again for me it is the price point. If I turn up empty then I'll have no choice but to turn to boxed. My only complaint is that all of the manufactures are using their own controllers. I wish they would offer a version that doesn't use one to integrate our own. Both of my current LED systems are using either my Apex or Reef Angel.

For pucks with a similar form factor and quality to Blue Acro look at nanobox, he also does complete fixtures.

Unread 08/07/2018, 02:29 PM   #528
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post

these?
Quote:
Layout:

Channel 1 - 3 Hyper Violet and 2 CREE XT-E Royal Blue (Actinic channel) (18v @ 700mA)
Channel 2 - 5 Royal Blue (base blue spectrum) (16.5V @ 1500mA)
Channel 3 - 3 XT-E Netural White and 2 XT-E Warm White (base white color) (16.5V @ 1500mA)
Channel 4 - (5 tot. ratio?)Turquoise / CREE XPE2 Blue (enhanced color spectrum) (17.2V @ 700mA)
Channel 5 - 3 Hyper Violet and 2 CREE XT-E Royal Blue (Actinic channel) (18v @ 700mA)

Price:
$108.50
Can't link.. Verboten..

Anyways Nanobox chip:
Quote:
pecs :

Channel 1 - Luxeon TX • 2 - Warm White • 1 - Neutral White - 1A Max
Channel 2 - Luxeon C • 2 - Mint - 700mA Max
Channel 3 - Luxeon T • 4 - Royal Blue - 1A Max
Channel 4 - SemiLED • 2 - Violet - 700mA Max
Channel 5 - Luxeon C • 1 - Blue • 1 - Cyan - 700mA Max
$49.95
https://nanobox-reef.myshopify.com/c...box-v3-1-array

I actually believe they are sort of Bluacros creation.

Last edited by oreo57; 08/07/2018 at 02:42 PM.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2018, 06:11 PM   #529
saf1
Registered Member

Yes, that are those. Depending on Blue Acro status if he is out for a bit, which I fully understand, then these seem viable. No idea why I forgot about them but they seem pretty solid and close to what I'm looking for. I am interested in a set of four. They will be on the outer edge of the tank so don't believe I need to punch down 30" to the bottom which is how tall my tank is. The Acros with lenses reach easily. In fact so much I'm only running them at 50% currently.

Not sure how many drivers I would need or if a single supply would work with a group of four but home work I guess.

Thank you @oreo57 and @llingwendil - much appreciated.

Edit: I don't know what brand the first mention was Oreo, sorry. Double the price. Have you used either or thoughts? Since it is not my primary source of light I'm just trying to get a better spread on the outer edges.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2018, 07:33 AM   #530
oreo57
Registered Member

That array was from led group buy..
No, never used them or the nanobox.

cursory look seems to show all but the blue channel of the nanobox can be driven by one driver and a 48V ps.
So 6 drivers unless you want to automate corners..
Possibly can include the blue w/ a more expensive 56V power supply.

If you just want some ancillary lighting and aren't too worried about exact color matching some cheap "hybrid" chips from evil bay might be an alternative to spending $100's on already mismatched panels..Nano's are probably closer than any suggestions below but... your choice.
This one is interesting (btw I just used 10w, no reason one couldn't go bigger).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10W-Super-A...itleDesc=0%7C0
This is "standard"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-10W-Ac...itleDesc=0%7C0

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2019, 11:51 PM   #531
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

A concept I'm playing with.

14 LEDs in a Angela reflector (about twice the size of the Brooke's I've been using).

Tentative LED arrangement:

Ch1: 5x Luxeon C Royal Blue
Ch2: 1x Viosys 385nm UV, 2x SemiLED 415nm, 2x SemiLED 405nm
Ch3: 2x Luxeon C Mint
Ch4: 1x Luxeon C Blue, 1x Luxeon C Cyan

Angela reflectors have a high transmittance color mixing lens which snaps into the main reflector (not pictured).

The actual PCB remains small at 2x2.5in. I'm planning on making this as a test, along with an edge-mated model that can be used with a plug-in driver.

The jumpers pictured are just 0 ohm 1206 resistors to more optimally allow the thermal pads to have more copper near the center of the LEDs.

Current Tank Info: 90g SPS+mixed reef (10 yrs): LEDBrick LEDs, 40g custom sump, Ca reactor, chiller, Vortech, lots of custom electronics
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2019, 07:36 AM   #532
Isayso
Registered Member

Very much interested

Current Tank Info: Hardware: 125g Reef,Mak4 for return,DIY 20G sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF30) driven by a Mak4,DIY S.Denitrator,DIY Calcium reactor(PM), wavemaker .MJ mods on Swirlestein,Jebao WP 20,Lighting: 60 LEDs, moon lights
Isayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2019, 01:37 PM   #533
lingwendil
Man who sold the world

Location: Oakley, behind enemy lines in communist occupied California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatrus View Post
A concept I'm playing with.

14 LEDs in a Angela reflector (about twice the size of the Brooke's I've been using).

Tentative LED arrangement:

Ch1: 5x Luxeon C Royal Blue
Ch2: 1x Viosys 385nm UV, 2x SemiLED 415nm, 2x SemiLED 405nm
Ch3: 2x Luxeon C Mint
Ch4: 1x Luxeon C Blue, 1x Luxeon C Cyan

Angela reflectors have a high transmittance color mixing lens which snaps into the main reflector (not pictured).

The actual PCB remains small at 2x2.5in. I'm planning on making this as a test, along with an edge-mated model that can be used with a plug-in driver.

The jumpers pictured are just 0 ohm 1206 resistors to more optimally allow the thermal pads to have more copper near the center of the LEDs.
Cool!

Very interesting, If I had a larger tank I'd love to test a pair, they'd be overkill on my 20 long.

Unread 02/21/2019, 07:56 PM   #534
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

I decided to, amongst some other exciting prototypes, to re-do my original LEDBrick panel boards. Its a rush job (you can tell what used to be a Rebel footprint!), but packs a lot more useful spectrum than the original.

Load out:
4x 415nm SemiLED
6x Osram Square 455nm Royal
6x Luxeon C RB
3x Luxeon RB 3x Luxeon Blue
4x LXC Mint
2x LCC PC Amber 2x LXC 5700k High CRI White
2x LXC Cyan 2x Luxeon C RB
3x SemiLED 405nm 1x Viosys 385nm

Current Tank Info: 90g SPS+mixed reef (10 yrs): LEDBrick LEDs, 40g custom sump, Ca reactor, chiller, Vortech, lots of custom electronics
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2019, 08:34 PM   #535
Poseidon
Registered Member

30 LED’s on there? Wow!

Current Tank Info: 85 Gallon mixed Reef. Halide/LED combo lighting.
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote