Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 05/17/2019, 11:19 AM   #1
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Question Lights or Water Chemistry? Killing Montipora

So I have a few Montipora frags that have died over the past month and a half (in addition to a birdsnest). Basically, they seem to be okay for about 2-3 weeks then over the course of a week or 2 fade white and the polyps just kinda vanish like Thanos snapped his fingers. Based on the pics can anyone tell if it's lights/flow or water chemistry?
I keep them in constant medium flow. When I initially noticed the bleaching from the base, I was concerned that I light acclimated them too fast(I place them in desired location and use screen netting to darken that portion of the tank), so I moved them to the bottom of the tank (standard 75gal). My lights are the Current Marine PRO IC LED (2x) which I know everyone says are crappy, but I've been able to be successful keeping plating Monti capricornis and encrusting sunset Montipora (they both have grown) which, from my reading have about the same light requirements. So I'm unsure if it's not enough light, too much light too fast, nutrient issues, incorrect flow, or I just basically suck at reefing and should find another hobby.

My Triton Report is here
https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroo...icp-oes/71285/

Hanna has my phosphates at 0.09-0.1ppm and my nitrates stay at 1ppm according to Red Sea. No ammonia or Nitrite. Temp is 77-79 Alk is 7.9-8.0 dkH for 6 months now

This is what my frags look like. Formerly beautiful green Monti digi on the top, red Monti digi on left and orange Monti setosa on right. (Forest fire Digi did the same thing...bleached over a week then polyps poof)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vSQ3319Qsfj15ukM9

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I want some branching corals!

75 gal display running since 5/14/18--29 gal sump Ocellaris Clown Pair, Flasher Wrasse, Bangaii Cardinal, Fire Shrimp pair, Skunk Cleaner, Blue Coral Banded Shrimp, Euphyllia, Monti Cap, Monti Digi. C
cjpitt80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/22/2019, 11:11 PM   #2
cjpitt80
Registered Member

???

Nobody?
Should this be over in the SPS thread?
I still consider myself new to the hobby

75 gal display running since 5/14/18--29 gal sump Ocellaris Clown Pair, Flasher Wrasse, Bangaii Cardinal, Fire Shrimp pair, Skunk Cleaner, Blue Coral Banded Shrimp, Euphyllia, Monti Cap, Monti Digi. C
Old 05/23/2019, 04:30 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

The lights are certainly not helping.. They are very weak for SPS corals even when placed within 12" of the light source..

Parameters look fine.. Like 99% of questions like this we just don't know what really caused the coral deaths..

Old 05/23/2019, 08:43 AM   #4
cjpitt80
Registered Member

Yeah taking everything in to account I would say that is the "weak part" of my system. Again though I've been able to grow a Monti cap and an encrusting sunset monti pretty well. The digi frags were placed HIGHER in the tank than these. My understanding was that Monti digi and Monti cap had very much the same lighting requirement, so if my Monti cap and Sunset have been growing, the lighting should be adequate for Monti digi. Am I wrong in this thinking or do Monti cap have lower lighting requirements than Monti digi?

Tags
bleaching, montipora