Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 03/09/2016, 10:55 AM   #151
jshepherd
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakthecycle2 View Post
I can almost bet, that's what is causing it. I would cut back on that and start the Waste away regiment. 5ml's per 10 gallons every other day for two weeks.
Id like to think it would be that easy but not a drop of it had been in the QT and they were the worst. I had went to Dr fosters 2 part which was nasty but that was just recently and have since switched back

The one would get to the point it would plug the filter in the aqua clear 70 lifted the lid off and empty gallons of water on the floor!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0556.jpg (60.8 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0559.jpg (48.2 KB, 77 views)
jshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2016, 11:05 AM   #152
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

Ugh, those pics are exactly what every hard surface in my tank look like. My sump socks, when left in for 2 or 3 days, become so clogged that you could literally carry them around the house like cup full of water and nothing would bead through. The worst part is how slimy it is when you have to remove it, you can barely grab a hold of the thing. Whenever I turn the pumps back on, all the slime inside the PVC comes shooting out into the tank and looks like a big snotty snow globe. It really is the strangest thing.

StrangeDejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2016, 11:06 AM   #153
Breakthecycle2
Registered Member

I did not read all your posts. Do both tanks share the same mixing containers?

Breakthecycle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2016, 06:42 PM   #154
Aquamechanic
Registered Member

Quote:
Ugh, those pics are exactly what every hard surface in my tank look like. My sump socks, when left in for 2 or 3 days, become so clogged that you could literally carry them around the house like cup full of water and nothing would bead through. The worst part is how slimy it is when you have to remove it, you can barely grab a hold of the thing. Whenever I turn the pumps back on, all the slime inside the PVC comes shooting out into the tank and looks like a big snotty snow globe. It really is the strangest thing.
Very frustrating. I've posted my situation on a few threads on this topic so I won't go into great detail. 9 months dealing with 90 reef, no dosing, 5 small fish, distilled water as source, Kent salt, tried RC, removed substrate, removed 60% +/- of the rock, all natural fiji rock approx. 10 years old. Tank crashed during ice storm power outage 3 years ago but was doing well again until last spring. Then slime.
It is about 75% better then it was at its peek for producing slime but, it's still there! I don't get the long strands coming off the rock any more, just collecting in the sump (maybe 10 turkey basters of suction to remove) and filming the glass each week. Takes on a pink hue when collected and accumulated.

Maybe the change of salt brands or maybe the removal of the substrate and rock (I suspect). The tank tests well on PO4 and NO3 but is getting black on the rocks. Not really algae like but almost an anaerobic coating. Like found in dense, oxygen deprived sand but in all the rock crevices. No abnormal smell except the skimmer. Lots of black sponges have also started growing.

I've been doing this more then 25 years and this is the only tank/ time I have ever seen this crap.

... Excuse me while I go knock wood.

Aquamechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2016, 07:03 PM   #155
Breakthecycle2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamechanic View Post
Very frustrating. I've posted my situation on a few threads on this topic so I won't go into great detail. 9 months dealing with 90 reef, no dosing, 5 small fish, distilled water as source, Kent salt, tried RC, removed substrate, removed 60% +/- of the rock, all natural fiji rock approx. 10 years old. Tank crashed during ice storm power outage 3 years ago but was doing well again until last spring. Then slime.
It is about 75% better then it was at its peek for producing slime but, it's still there! I don't get the long strands coming off the rock any more, just collecting in the sump (maybe 10 turkey basters of suction to remove) and filming the glass each week. Takes on a pink hue when collected and accumulated.

Maybe the change of salt brands or maybe the removal of the substrate and rock (I suspect). The tank tests well on PO4 and NO3 but is getting black on the rocks. Not really algae like but almost an anaerobic coating. Like found in dense, oxygen deprived sand but in all the rock crevices. No abnormal smell except the skimmer. Lots of black sponges have also started growing.

I've been doing this more then 25 years and this is the only tank/ time I have ever seen this crap.

... Excuse me while I go knock wood.
?
Do you use plug in scented air fresheners or candles? Is the tank near the kitchen?

Breakthecycle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2016, 07:30 AM   #156
Aquamechanic
Registered Member

This particular setup is located in a dental office. I have had them check their sterilizer and it does not use alcohol, I've had them remove all air-fresheners (much to the chagrin of reception) and historically the tank has been located here for more then 10 years with only the last 9 months having slime issue.

I cannot think of any other source of carbon either added or environmental.

Old 04/10/2016, 10:29 AM   #157
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

Question for everyone here still dealing with the slime: Is this happening in DIY setups? I ask because it popped up in my 40/20 tank that had lots of DIY. It did not pop up in my QT, my Dad's DT or his QT, only my DT. After 7 months and a total tank restart, I finally tore down for good. With my tax return, I went out and bought a BioCube 29g. I set this tank up using the same slime covered live rock that was in my 40, moved straight over. I bought new sand and made new water and let 'er rip. I'm happy to report that i'm a month in and this tank has already progressed more than my previous setup did in 7 months. The slime is gone. Both times in my 40, the stringy slime appeared on day 5 after the cycle. My CUC actually explores the tank now and eats off the rock. Before, they would stay still in one spot and die after about 2 weeks. I don't know if the acrylic I chose for the overflow played a role, or maybe the fact that I used GE II (unknowingly) and it contained a chemical that was feeding this bloom? I'm just happy to FINALLY be done with it and moving toward coral and more fish in the future. I hope you guys can find your source and eliminate it as well.

Old 04/10/2016, 01:21 PM   #158
bertoni
RC Mod

I'm not sure what you mean by DIY systems in this case. Most DIY items should be fine if done properly.

Old 04/10/2016, 03:21 PM   #159
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by DIY systems in this case. Most DIY items should be fine if done properly.
Siliconing your own baffles, plumbing, etc. In my case, I made my own overflow using sheets of black acrylic I had cut at a local acrylic shop. The slime continued endlessly and the source was clearly linked to something in my build. Why else could I take rock covered in thick sheets of slime, place it in a BioCube and the slime completely disappear? Just grasping at straws here I guess, trying to find common links between my problem and the others that posted here.

Old 04/11/2016, 04:40 PM   #160
bertoni
RC Mod

Oh, I see. I don't know that much about acrylic construction. I wouldn't expect that silicon would cause microbial blooms, though. It can be immediately toxic, as various people have experienced.

Old 04/12/2016, 11:55 AM   #161
StrangeDejavu
Registered Member

Well this is interesting. Right when I thought i'd seen the last of this stuff, it just popped up in my TTM container. I'm treating a Tailspot Blenny right now for what I suspect to be ich through Tank Transfer Method. He's in a 5 gallon Sterlite (#5 PP plastic) container with brand new airline hose, a brand new airstone, brand new Eheim Jager heater and a PVC elbow. In only 24 hours, I have a single slimey bacterial strand almost 13 inches long, the exact same I used to deal with in my tank. This brings me back to the slime article, and what they say about plastics as a food source for Alcaligenes faecalis:

"Phthalates, or phthalate esters, are esters of phthalic acid and are mainly used as plasticizers (substances added to plastics to increase their flexibility, transparency, durability, and longevity). They are primarily used to soften polyvinyl chloride."

I'm probably just rambling to myself at this point, but hopefully this helps in some way for those still struggling with this. When TTM is done, i'm going to take a 5 gallon glass aquarium and set it side-by-side with my Sterlite container, add fresh saltwater to both and observe. I'm expecting it to pop up in the plastic container but not in the glass aquarium. I'll post an update in a few weeks.

Last edited by StrangeDejavu; 04/12/2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10/04/2016, 11:11 AM   #162
Fishingpcola
Registered Member

I also have been battling this slime over the years. I just last week switched my ATO reserve from a 22 gallon Brute (LDPE) to a 25 gallon vertical tank from Plasic-Mart (HDPE). I still use the 44 gallon Brute to makeup saltwater.

Fishingpcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2016, 09:13 PM   #163
Fishingpcola
Registered Member

I believe I have beaten the beast! This may shock a lot of people on how I've done it. For all of this time I have been using a 20 gallon Brute that was labeled as LDPE recycle code 4 for my rodi topoff container. After reading articles on LDPE versus HDPE code 2, I decided to spend the money and buy a 25 gallon vertical HDPE water tank from Plasti-Mart. Within 3 weeks of placing the new water storage tank and siphoning the slime on a daily bases I am practically slime free! The water clarity is amazing as well. Before the change, my water in the tank had a slight haze to it. Even a UV sterilizer could not clear it up. Actual it would make matters worse. Slime was worse. All I can say is the tank is looking amazing.

Old 10/17/2016, 09:25 PM   #164
bertoni
RC Mod

So in the end, it might have been the Brute container? That's interesting, because many people have thought they were safe for a very long time, including me.

Old 10/17/2016, 09:30 PM   #165
Fishingpcola
Registered Member

Oh I still use a 44 gallon Brute for mixing saltwater up in but from reading about LDPE recycle code 4 it is only intended for short duration of storage. The 20 gallon was a NSF grade for food storage. I can only talk about the results from switching.

Old 10/17/2016, 11:37 PM   #166
bertoni
RC Mod

I'll have to keep this in mind. Maybe it's time to start recommending only food-grade plastic.

Old 10/21/2016, 02:55 PM   #167
Fishingpcola
Registered Member

Well I was mistaken, it was not a Brute can after all. It looks just like a Brute but it says Carlisle. I purchased from HD years back and it was with the Brute cans. The lid is a Brute lid for a 20g. The aquarium is still looking great and the slime is less and less each day and the water is very clear.

Old 10/21/2016, 06:26 PM   #168
bertoni
RC Mod

Okay, I guess that's good news for those of us who have been recommending Brute. I'm sorry you had such trouble, though.

Old 11/08/2016, 01:16 PM   #169
T-Rex
Registered Member

Thank you Fishingpcola!

I was using a 44 Gal. Brute container for my ATO, then switched to a storage tote I bought at HD a few months back...and have been battling the slime for guess how long - the last few months. I never put this together until I read your post. So I just decided to pop the lid off and see how it felt.

SLIMY!

Man, I hope this is it. I'm gonna yank the tote out today and replace it with something that has food grade plastic.

I will make sure to update my results in this thread.

T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2016, 02:27 PM   #170
bertoni
RC Mod

I'll be very interested in your results.

Old 11/08/2016, 06:41 PM   #171
Aquamechanic
Registered Member

Hopefully this long post may help some of you apply my experience to your situation, even if not identical.

I was going through this problem for a few years with a clients tank. I have several posts on a few threads on the topic trying to find a solution with other dumbstruck enthusiasts.

So I gave up on the doomed setup and moved the fish and corals to other locations and drained it. Threw out the substrate and live rock, cleaned everything thoroughly and dried and left for a couple months. Started setup using distilled water and before tank sat for a few days or had salt added it started developing the signs. Cotton fuzz balls and slimy glass!

Here's the thing. The client had their office air tested with some prompting, and they found higher then normal air born particulate. I thought, well maybe this is just snake-oil salesmanship since the company now wants to sell him a $3000 air purifier but the guy says, 'have you had a flood?'. Client did have a flood. Six months preceding 'White Slime From Hell' inception aka. WSFH. Most drywall was only replaced but only 4' up the wall since they thought they were getting all the damage. Maybe not. Mold in walls was the final diagnosis.

So the air filter was installed, the office workers all expressed they are 'feeling better' and I was told to try again. The tank has been filled now for 2 weeks. The water has some gobs but they are likely leftovers from the last attempt that failed. The barrel downstairs which scummed up in days of filling a few months ago now has perfectly good DI water stored. No slime on bucket lid. Before it was a rag full of mucus.

I will try to remember to follow up soon and inform if the fix is in or if the WSFH is simply on hiatus.

Old 11/08/2016, 07:21 PM   #172
bertoni
RC Mod

I will be interested to hear how the tank shapes up. I wouldn't have thought of mold as a possible issue.

Old 11/14/2016, 10:14 PM   #173
T-Rex
Registered Member

It's been over 5 days now, and I still have slime after removing the suspected culprit (tote reservoir for ATO). After a couple days it appeared less prevalent, but I've also kicked up maintenance with daily filter sock and glass cleaning, so it might be the same. Parameters are all spot on (Sal., Alk, Ca., Mag.) including Phos. and Nitrate at 0. Only thing I haven't checked recently is ammonia. Skimmer is working very efficiently. Fish and corals looks great...

So I removed the tote and have been manually adding RODI from the Brute 44 gal. to the affected tanks (Two large rimless/hoodless SPS dominant tanks in open loop system together). I have been using the Brute for another tank (Display Tank) that is only 12 feet away from SPS tanks...its in another room but doors are open so skeptical it's a mold issue when the display tank has no slime - that said, there is definitely a difference in humidity as soon as you enter the SPS tanks room, and of course high humidity is the perfect environment for mold.

So at this point I'm still waiting to see if there is improvement. I think I will give it another week before trying a different treatment. Looking at dehumidifiers and air purifiers. It's scary cause some people have reported to have this issue for years. Thankfully it does not affect fish/coral and appears not to transfer to other systems. I truly believe its something in the tank, or airborne in that particular room, that is feeding the slime monster. Additionally, I'm going to cover my bases and perform a mold test.

I'm actually starting to lean toward this being an airborne mold spore, which the bacteria is feeding on. It seems crazy, but it does appear the slime starts growing at the top of my tank glass. Very thankful my high end Acros are unaffected, but getting tired of cleaning glass and filter socks daily. Plus it ****es me off, as I work hard to keep perfect parameters.

I will continue to update, and anyone that can chime in on this issue please do not hesitate...to be continued.

Old 11/14/2016, 11:38 PM   #174
bertoni
RC Mod

Well, I hope the tank improves. If the problem is mold spores, which seems strange, better skimming might help. They should be skimmable.

Old 11/15/2016, 06:04 PM   #175
T-Rex
Registered Member

Thanks, funny you mention the skimmer. I noticed more slime then ever today in collection cup waste. I honestly never noticed the waste being very slimy before. Just typical skimmate. Hopefully a good sign it's being removed, and not getting worse *fingers crossed*

Also seemed less on glass - only a small amount on top water edge, but the same or more in filter sock. I noticed some on rock which freaked me out, but it's not attached, more like strands caught by die off and easily removed with a hand wave in the water close by - again being optimistic.

I did add a dehumidifier today as well and started a mold test. Not expecting much from mold test as it seems everyone has mold - it's the type and amount related to the environment that matters. Still might get it analyzed depending on color. Pretty sure I will add an air purifier soon.

Right now I'm feeling good about the lack of growth on glass and collection cup waste. Only other thing to mention is I stopped using very actinic but intense lighting to a medium spectrum. Just want to document everything so people have information just in case it can help someone later.

I will not stop until I figure this out, and will continue to update.