Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/29/2018, 08:15 AM   #1
kaz1961
Registered Member

What fish do you have in your nano?

Setting up a 28 gal nano cube this week and was wondering what fish you guys are keeping in yours? Not used to a small tank like this and want to stock it right and have minimal fighting. Fish I am considering are: clownfish, firefish, goby, talbots damsel, green Chromis, blenny, dottyback and valentini puffer. Not looking to keep all these fish, just a few that could peacefully coexist in a nano. I want to do mostly marine plants, zoas, mushrooms and a couple of easy corals. Let me know what you think.

kaz1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2018, 08:32 AM   #2
Stepho725
Registered Member

I had always kept a pair of occ clowns in my old BC with all of these fish Im about to list.
I tried out a Mimic Filefish as it looked like a Valenti (which I wanted) but I could still keep inverts. With the Mimic i bought a Horned-Blenny which was a super cool looking personable guy but between these two I started losing soft coral and I never could figure out which was doing it so I rehomed them both .
After I kept a Scooter Blenny, a Firefish, and a small 6-line. All of these fish ended up disappearing with no trace of their body. Finally I got a larger 6-line after a Red Planaria infestation (which he cleaned up beautifully) and he stuck around until I dismantled the tank.
Lots of options!
Best of luck

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Stepho725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2018, 09:30 AM   #3
Sgchick
Registered Member

I have a 29 gallon biocube thats been set up for 4 years. I have a pair of clowns, a valentini puffer, a bluestar leopard wrasse. emerald crabs and a couple peppermint shrimp. And a pistol shrimp gobie pair.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5Bbpu7XtjE

Sgchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2018, 10:29 AM   #4
AlSimmons
Registered Member

I currently have a Royal Gramma, Bicolor Blenny and a Azure Damsel in my 20 gallon long and everybody gets along great. I'm thinking about adding a Ocellaris Clownfish too, but I just haven't got around to it yet.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2018, 02:18 PM   #5
journeyman
Registered Member

I have a pair of occ clowns, a yellow chorus wrasse and a pink streaked wrasse, which I highly recommend over a six line. I think it's prettier and completely peaceful

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2018, 05:13 PM   #6
rockhead51
Registered Member

Pair of ocelaris clowns, yellow watchman goby/tiger pistol shrimp pair, Cherub angel, orchid Dotty back for fish. Inverts are a conch, emerald crab, hermits, trochus snails and nassarius snails.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

rockhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2018, 06:01 PM   #7
BronxReefer
Registered Member

I started my nano 5 years ago with two clowns, a blenny, a citron goby, and a coral beauty. There was obviously a little bit of fighting, but everyone got along well for years.

However, I have since donated the coral beauty and citron goby. If you're planning on having a wide variety of nice corals, I would avoid angel fish or any others that could even "potentially nip" at corals, but if you're not too into corals its worth the risk.

As far as pistol shrimp go, I love mine but it drives me insane with all the sand.

If I could start my tank over I would go for two very nice clowns, two linear blennies, a royal gramma, and possibly a few shrimp gobies with the pistol.

BronxReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2018, 05:24 AM   #8
jambon222
Registered Member

I keep a yellow assesor, a barnacle blenny and a gumdrop coral crouched in a 16 gallon. I prefer the unusual things.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

jambon222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2018, 02:56 PM   #9
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambon222 View Post
I keep a yellow assesor, a barnacle blenny and a gumdrop coral crouched in a 16 gallon. I prefer the unusual things.

I'd love to see pictures!

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2018, 04:22 PM   #10
jambon222
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
I'd love to see pictures!
I Will try to add a picture...

Unread 05/13/2018, 04:34 PM   #11
jambon222
Registered Member

Here is the assesor and blenny is just below hiding in a small hole in the live rock

Unread 05/14/2018, 02:39 PM   #12
pev
Registered Member

30g rimless with 1 clown, 6-line wrasse, royal gramma and cleaner shrimp. Used to have two clowns but one jumped out. They all get along very well.

pev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 08:00 AM   #13
Smiley28
Registered Member

Rocking with a black leopard clown and Pygmy possum wrasse in my 10g nano.

Smiley28 is offline   Reply With Quote