Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/31/2017, 09:04 PM   #4626
andrewbram
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus Varuna View Post
It does take awhile and running no white makes it difficult to achieve growth since your basically not using the diode that provides full spectrum lighting. Your just hitting coral with very specific wavelengths of light from the colored diodes. I would say give the AB+ schedule a try but since your coming from a very weak schedule do a 50% acclimation for 4 months. If you hate it switch back to your current settings but I'm pretty sure you will love the AB+ settings once your corals acclimate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks I saw the files but is there a step by step guide how to. I am a technology idiot.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

andrewbram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2017, 09:09 PM   #4627
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbram View Post
Thanks I saw the files but is there a step by step guide how to. I am a technology idiot.

This thread is only 4 pages long and I post full step by step for how to upload the files via an iOS (iPad or iPhone). Let me know if you don't have an apple device and I'll dig around, find and repost the web browser instructions I wrote in this thread about 20 pages back.

https://www.*********.com/index.php?...%21%21.305948/

Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2017, 09:09 PM   #4628
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

AI Hydra Settings Thread

Quote:
This thread is only 4 pages long and I post full step by step for how to upload the files via an iOS (iPad or iPhone). Let me know if you don't have an apple device and I'll dig around, find and repost the web browser instructions I wrote in this thread about 20 pages back.

https://www.*********.com/index.php?...%21%21.305948/

Ughhh you have to replace the starred out portion of the web address with reef 2 reef (with no spaces, it's the only way this silly forum will let me post it) ... I guess reef central is just a bit paranoid about loosing users lol

Last edited by Orcus Varuna; 05/31/2017 at 09:14 PM.
Unread 05/31/2017, 09:16 PM   #4629
andrewbram
Registered Member

Ya I have Android and windows computer.

Unread 06/01/2017, 03:55 AM   #4630
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Ya I have Android and windows computer.

Here's the instructions for uploading the files via the web browser on a windows or mac computer

Unread 06/01/2017, 07:51 AM   #4631
andrewbram
Registered Member

Awesome I will attempt today.

Unread 06/02/2017, 03:17 PM   #4632
andrewbram
Registered Member

Ok so got the program in. But here is a dumb question. How exactly does acclimation mode work. It seems super super bright. I set acclimation to 40% for 4 months. Would 50% make it a little more dim or more bright.

Unread 06/02/2017, 03:18 PM   #4633
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok so got the program in. But here is a dumb question. How exactly does acclimation mode work. It seems super super bright. I set acclimation to 40% for 4 months. Would 50% make it a little more dim or more bright.

I would do acclimation manually. So just change the % up every few weeks as you need.

Unread 06/02/2017, 03:27 PM   #4634
andrewbram
Registered Member

I travel way to much and for two long. I need the automated so it doesn't drive wife nuts.

Unread 06/02/2017, 09:35 PM   #4635
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:

Acclimation mode is exactly that. So if you set it for say 30% for 60 days. On day 1 each diode intensity would be reduced by 30% at each point in the program from the value listed. Every two days the light would be 1% more intense and this would continue until day 60 at which time the light would be running as programmed with no reduction in intensity. To answer your other question 50% would dim it more. Finally, you have to remember most of the corals in our tanks live anywhere from 1 Foot to 30 feet under water getting annihilated by the equatorial sun 12 hrs a day. Your corals need time to adjust, hence the acclimation, but the schedule is not to bright

Unread 06/02/2017, 10:24 PM   #4636
andrewbram
Registered Member

Quote:
Acclimation mode is exactly that. So if you set it for say 30% for 60 days. On day 1 each diode intensity would be reduced by 30% at each point in the program from the value listed. Every two days the light would be 1% more intense and this would continue until day 60 at which time the light would be running as programmed with no reduction in intensity. To answer your other question 50% would dim it more. Finally, you have to remember most of the corals in our tanks live anywhere from 1 Foot to 30 feet under water getting annihilated by the equatorial sun 12 hrs a day. Your corals need time to adjust, hence the acclimation, but the schedule is not to bright

Thanks for your info. I just wanted to make sure the percentage was not reverse thought. I set it for 55% and 4 months a little extra caution never hurt. Btw how soon did you notice changes in your coral when starting this cycle.

Unread 06/03/2017, 04:33 AM   #4637
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for your info. I just wanted to make sure the percentage was not reverse thought. I set it for 55% and 4 months a little extra caution never hurt. Btw how soon did you notice changes in your coral when starting this cycle.

With any lighting changes it usually takes about a month to really notice the benefits. And being cautious and taking it slow is never a bad thing

Unread 06/03/2017, 11:54 AM   #4638
bowen1022
Registered Member

With the 24" schedule, is UV supposed to be in the 80's at the Peaks?

bowen1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2017, 04:27 PM   #4639
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowen1022 View Post
With the 24" schedule, is UV supposed to be in the 80's at the Peaks?

Yes it's only one near uv diode and puts out far less uv radiation then a standard metal halide or the sun so it's perfectly fine up that high. Running the uv diode high also assists with coral pigmenting. Kind of like a sun tan for corals.

Unread 06/04/2017, 07:18 PM   #4640
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

had 2 in qt and now in main tank. here are few pics.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170525_160503.jpg (26.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 20170523_152930_1495573261442.jpg (27.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20170604_201106.jpg (72.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 20170604_201125.jpg (66.5 KB, 47 views)

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2017, 09:14 PM   #4641
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeftub View Post
Yea I have 6 hydra 52 over a 5' tank so I have the same issue.

So I made a bit of a change I removed the two prime HD's and added two t5's to my Hydra 52HD. I couldn't take the overwhelming blue anymore. Nothing wrong with the lights or settings at all, growth, coral color etc is fantastic using the AB+ profile, it's as good as it gets for a profile for these lights. I have just been yearning for that true 12000k look I used to have running 2 radium halides and one iwaski bulb. So enter AB+ supplemented with Tropic 6500k T5HO!

Unread 06/05/2017, 04:45 AM   #4642
Reeftub
Registered Member

Looks good! I have 4 t-5 that kick on for 4 hrs a day also. But I run 2-b+ and 2-purple+. But I may change the purples out to something else.

Reeftub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2017, 03:56 PM   #4643
buddah001
Registered Member

OV. I have downloaded the 24 program and think it looks awesome. I have a 135g that is 4'x2'x27"tall and the tank has been up and running a little over a month now. Have some diatom or HA bloom right now that I am not concerned about. I know it is a new tank. But I am currently runnig 2x Hydra 52 HDs on the outside and a Hydra 26 in the very middle. I had the 26 from a nano tank I had that was replaced with this 135g. The lights are 10" of the water surface. I prefer to have my lights on from 1pm to 10pm so that I can enjoy it when I am home from work. How do I go about changing your program to make this happen?

RIP my 180g DT,75g sump,90g fuge, 3X250w MH w/Radiums,MSX300A drilled
buddah001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2017, 04:10 PM   #4644
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

I know in the past 10-20 pages or so of the thread people have converted my AI Prime file by changing the extension (The prime file is for the old model and is a conversion of my 24" profile). If you can't find it let me know and I'll dig up the instructions!

Unread 06/06/2017, 04:50 AM   #4645
buddah001
Registered Member

OV I ended making my own very similar to your 24". I used the min and max values. It just works on my time frame. Do you think the intensity of the 24" program is ok for my 135g? As mentioned earlier I have 2x Hydra 52's HD and 1x Hydra 26 in the middle to help with the shadows. The lights are mounted on the AI light bar. Lights are 10" off the water and I am planning on running a mixed reef with SPS and LPS. I do not have a par meter to check the lights. But the tank is 27" tall.
Thanks for your help

Unread 06/06/2017, 07:58 AM   #4646
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddah001 View Post
OV I ended making my own very similar to your 24". I used the min and max values. It just works on my time frame. Do you think the intensity of the 24" program is ok for my 135g? As mentioned earlier I have 2x Hydra 52's HD and 1x Hydra 26 in the middle to help with the shadows. The lights are mounted on the AI light bar. Lights are 10" off the water and I am planning on running a mixed reef with SPS and LPS. I do not have a par meter to check the lights. But the tank is 27" tall.

Thanks for your help

On a tank that size and only three lights the 24" profile is going to be needed for a mixed reef. Also no need to redo the schedule to move it. In the AI app go to the schedule put two fingers on the graph and move the whole schedule at once to the desired time. The same can be done in director with a click and scroll apparently.

Unread 06/06/2017, 07:46 PM   #4647
buddah001
Registered Member

Do you think more than the three lights I have are needed?

Unread 06/06/2017, 10:22 PM   #4648
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Orcus profile is awesome have been using it on my corals and i have noticed nice growth with in a couple months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cammunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2017, 06:59 AM   #4649
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammunoz View Post
Orcus profile is awesome have been using it on my corals and i have noticed nice growth with in a couple months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you I'm glad it is working out well for you!!!! Also, How is the stock tank working for you. I will be moving again next year and do not want to do the whole tank and critters in the same day like I did last time. Stock tank looks like a wonderful solution that will allow me to take my time without breaking the bank!

Unread 06/07/2017, 07:05 AM   #4650
Cammunoz
Registered Member

AI Hydra Settings Thread

Quote:
Thank you I'm glad it is working out well for you!!!! Also, How is the stock tank working for you. I will be moving again next year and do not want to do the whole tank and critters in the same day like I did last time. Stock tank looks like a wonderful solution that will allow me to take my time without breaking the bank!

The stock tank is working out great! my corals are growing better then they did in my display. More color and growth for sure. I may plumb the stock tank into my new 150 lagoon and use it as a giant refugium. I threw around the idea of a 300g stock tank as a display for a while. I may connect all three.
my anemone has came out with some crazy colors since the move into the stock tank

Last edited by Cammunoz; 06/07/2017 at 07:14 AM.
Cammunoz is offline   Reply With Quote