Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/30/2011, 05:02 PM   #101
MOB1224
Registered Member

Nice tank I have been looking for a small rimless since I sold my set up a couple months ago. I love the aquascape job that you did it looks great.

Current Tank Info: 57g mixed reef, 20g sump, Vertex N-80 gen 1 skimmer, mag 5 return, 1 K3, 2 K2's pump and a K Nano
MOB1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2011, 05:06 PM   #102
corpse_grinder0
Registered Member

super clean!

corpse_grinder0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2011, 08:30 AM   #103
jestep
Registered Member

What elbow did you use to connect the MJ to the rotating deflector? I'm going to switch to a MJ600 and a hydor. Just trying to figure out the best way to handle the 90 degree turn.

The pump situation is my only major complaint about this tank. Definitely fix the gaps with some cut airline tubing, but neither the 28 nor the 08 are suitable pumps for this tank.

Last edited by jestep; 12/01/2011 at 09:21 AM.
jestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2011, 12:12 PM   #104
Austinchap
Registered Member

I used this from Home Depot, its a nice tight fit on mine. You put the rubber fitting for the deflector through the hole first then slowly work the 90 all the way into it. Mine holds very tight and flush. I think you find it in the pluming area for appliances.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Also... i have the MJ 900 hooked up this way with no flow issues. The 90 reduces flow more then i thought it would. you might be able to use the 1200 but i havnt tried it this way. If you use the 900 you have to trim the inlet part of the pump back as far as you can for it to fit in the chamber.

Austinchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2011, 04:52 PM   #105
kuro
Registered Member

I really enjoy reading through this i even order my own cadlight 8g and it came in yesterday but.... it came in all smash. There customer service was good they say they send replacement tomorrow. I think I'm going to keep the stock pump and just used koralia nano for more water movement but do you think Hydor FLO rotating deflector will work well on the stock pump?

kuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2011, 05:00 PM   #106
iFisch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuro View Post
I really enjoy reading through this i even order my own cadlight 8g and it came in yesterday but.... it came in all smash. There customer service was good they say they send replacement tomorrow. I think I'm going to keep the stock pump and just used koralia nano for more water movement but do you think Hydor FLO rotating deflector will work well on the stock pump?
Sorry to hear about the smashed tank, however you are not the only one.. Sadly.

Hopefully they do the right thing and ship your tank right away, and don't yank your chain.

iFisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2011, 09:23 PM   #107
Austinchap
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuro View Post
do you think Hydor FLO rotating deflector will work well on the stock pump?
The hydor flo or the spin stream will fit directly on the pump. My problem with the stock pump was getting the flow through on the chambers. If your chambers fit tight then you shouldn't have a problem using the stock pump.

Unread 12/07/2011, 05:28 PM   #108
Thomas84
Registered Member

Sick Build... Nice Job...

Very nice.. I just got my 18g up and going from CAD Lights and I love it. I also was just on thier website and noticed that they are offering free shipping on there mini series and protien skimmers... Im thinking of picking me up a 4g...

Thomas84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2011, 12:51 PM   #109
psychoanalyzer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nye View Post
Well Im officially upset. I just have been water testing the tank to check for leaks and was draining out the water last night when I noticed that the bottom strip of the AIO is not even siliconed down properly so it just flaps around down there and theres a visible hole between the top sliding portion and the bottom part. I just sent an email out to cadlights today...lets see what kind of response I get.
Hi Bill. What ever happened with your AIO bottom strip issue? I just received my 4 AND 8 gallon (had to get both on the Black Friday sale), and my 4 gallon had that piece completely broken off the bottom. I'm wondering if it will be easier to try and fix myself, although I've never messed with that kind of thing before. So I was just curious what happened with yours? Also, did you end up using an MJ600 or MJ900 with a Hydor Flo? If so, did you do an egg crate mod like you talked about? I would love to see what you came up with!

When I get a minute free I'll post some pics I took of my two tanks. It may help some others to see what kind of light these things actually put out in stock form.

Austinchap, thanks so much for all your info in this thread! It has been immensely helpful in both my decision to purchase and setup these two tanks!

psychoanalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2011, 02:16 PM   #110
jestep
Registered Member

I reattached the bottom piece on mine as it fell off the first time I removed the media chamber. I just used good quality silicon from Lowes. It's solid at this point. Took about 5 minutes to reattach, and I let it dry for 3 days. I left the horizontal piece completely off. I couldn't see any real purpose for it. I think it was initially used just as a brace for the vertical piece.

Unread 12/12/2011, 10:58 AM   #111
terry4505
Registered Member

I have had two order two of the 4g, The first one came broken as others have described. They shipped me out a new one, which came in broken as well.

Very frustrating.

terry4505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2011, 01:00 PM   #112
Luckedout
Registered Member

That's surprising. Mine was packaged so well the UPS guy would have had to drop it off the truck to break it. One thing I did notice is that they did not have any fragile signs on the box, which surprised me and with the holidays I imagine those shipping companies are not being careful with how much they are trying to move.

Luckedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2011, 06:09 PM   #113
CCLAXX
Registered Member

These tanks seem like they would be a bit more cared for in the areas of shipping and assembly. Im debating wheather or not i should get the 12g system .

CCLAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2011, 06:30 AM   #114
davek17
Registered Member

Would it work to place the ato float switch in the middle chamber instead of the return chamber?

davek17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2011, 12:01 PM   #115
Luckedout
Registered Member

It should work. I haven't let my levels drop much to really see, but the way the over flow is designed, I believe that the level in the return chamber and the level in the middle chamber should stay about the same.

Honestly, the evaporation on this tank has been minimal because I am using the glass top. I'm afraid of my fish jumping. I maybe need to add about a cup every 2-3 days. I'll have to see how things go in the summer with warmer weather.

Unread 12/14/2011, 10:11 AM   #116
terry4505
Registered Member

I have the glass on as well, and have had very little evaporation. Reef Builders dot com has an article up about water droplets used as LED diffusers, Which I think applies to these tanks. I emailed CadLights about the second tank coming in broken and they have yet to respond. I'm a little frustrated by that. Aside from that, the one that I have up and cycling is doing awesome.

Unread 12/14/2011, 12:56 PM   #117
Luckedout
Registered Member

My experience with CADLights was pretty positive. I think it's better to call them, rather than wait for email.

I read that same article so I tested it out today and I noticed that when I cleared off the water droplets I had some pin point lights in the sand from the lights that I didn't have before with the droplets. Pretty neat.

Unread 12/18/2011, 04:06 PM   #118
Austinchap
Registered Member

So what's going on with everyone's cadlights? I got the fp-28 pump to fit. You have to remove the plastic base that wraps to the back. It has no purpose and is now pretty small. I'm using it with a 90 and have decent flow. No other update besides that. Everything is running good and the Kenya tree coral has grown alot so the lights are great for softies. Havnt had much time to put anything else in there yet.

Unread 12/19/2011, 08:00 AM   #119
terry4505
Registered Member

My 4 gal is cycling in the basement away from my daughter's prying eyes, as it is a christmas present. I wanted to get it up and running so that we could set it up on Christmas, and because I am naturally impatient.

Unread 12/19/2011, 01:27 PM   #120
Luckedout
Registered Member

Mine has been doing good. I have a torch coral, some zoas and some dragon's breath macro in there and they seem to be doing fine.

Could you post some picture on how you were able to get the Fj28 to fit? I have been using a koralia nano to increase flow, but it seems to be almost too much.

Unread 12/19/2011, 04:40 PM   #121
jestep
Registered Member

Is the flow excessive with the 28? I'm using the 08 right now, and I still get good polyp movement. This is going to be a zoa and LPS tank, so I may stick with the 08 to avoid heat and sandstorm issues. I have a nice elegance that is doing very well under the LED's with a 12 hours of photo period. Just started getting some film algae though so I may dial back the light a few hours and see how the tank reacts.

Unread 12/19/2011, 06:51 PM   #122
StephLionfish
Registered Member

Such a beautiful little tank! I feel like I'm staring at a nToTM, even though it's still a "baby"! Honestly though... 8g is pretty dang small for those fish.

Unread 12/19/2011, 08:25 PM   #123
Luckedout
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephLionfish View Post
Such a beautiful little tank! I feel like I'm staring at a nToTM, even though it's still a "baby"! Honestly though... 8g is pretty dang small for those fish.
8g is plenty for them as long as he keeps up with the water quality. As long as he keeps that in check, those fish will love it.

Unread 12/19/2011, 08:38 PM   #124
Austinchap
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestep View Post
Is the flow excessive with the 28? I'm using the 08 right now, and I still get good polyp movement. This is going to be a zoa and LPS tank, so I may stick with the 08 to avoid heat and sandstorm issues. I have a nice elegance that is doing very well under the LED's with a 12 hours of photo period. Just started getting some film algae though so I may dial back the light a few hours and see how the tank reacts.
The 28 probably would be to much if connected just like the 08. I use a 90 and have the pump lower. The 90 restricts flow alot.

And thanks everyone! When I get back from vacation I'll be adding more corals to the mix.
The fire fish love the tank and practically eat from my hand. I've had zero nitrate/phosphate problems.
I spot clean the glass once a week right now.

Unread 12/20/2011, 01:52 PM   #125
Luckedout
Registered Member

I need more corals too! I just wish the light had a little more blue to it. My corals don't really pop in this tank like they do in my other tanks.

Tags
cadlights