Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 05/16/2014, 02:12 AM   #1
Whiterabbitrage
Registered Member
 
Whiterabbitrage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,339
Blog Entries: 1
Bounce mushrooms?

Anyone have any experience with these? I see one for sale that is drop dead gorgeous, but it's $80 and plus I assume these guys are tricky. Am guessing they are Magical Melters like Rics can be. Anyone have first hand experience?


__________________
~Morgan

Current Tank Info: 150 gall, 30 gall sump; 30 gall refugium
Whiterabbitrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2014, 04:58 AM   #2
alf03
Registered Member
 
alf03's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 235
Wow where'd you find one for $80? I'd buy it right now! Aha. They are very hardy. Very easy to care for. Only downside is the high price tag if it's truly a bounce mushroom. The bubbles can get very big once the mushroom matures. Definitely one of my favorite things to stare at in my tank. Hoping to have a tank full of mature shrooms once my babies grow.


alf03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2014, 07:16 AM   #3
UMass14
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 198
Thats a STEAL if its a true bounce mushroom!


UMass14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2014, 01:32 PM   #4
Whiterabbitrage
Registered Member
 
Whiterabbitrage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,339
Blog Entries: 1
It's not a steal if its going to die. People say Rics are easy but they do melt mysteriously.
Can't find info on these guys online. They like low light and low- mod flow I assume. Anything else? I really hesitate to believe they are easy.

And how much do they usually go for? I thought $80 for a shroom was insane.


__________________
~Morgan

Current Tank Info: 150 gall, 30 gall sump; 30 gall refugium
Whiterabbitrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2014, 01:50 PM   #5
alf03
Registered Member
 
alf03's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbitrage View Post
It's not a steal if its going to die. People say Rics are easy but they do melt mysteriously.
Can't find info on these guys online. They like low light and low- mod flow I assume. Anything else? I really hesitate to believe they are easy.

And how much do they usually go for? I thought $80 for a shroom was insane.

I've never lost any of my bounce. Even after they've gotten ripped they just end up splitting. I've had mine in low to mod light and low to mod flow and they do pretty well. Definitely one of my hardiest corals in my tank.

WWC sells tiny frags for $600 or so. I've seen them from anywhere to $350-$500 from reefers online for a true bounce shroom.


alf03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2014, 04:48 PM   #6
Whiterabbitrage
Registered Member
 
Whiterabbitrage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,339
Blog Entries: 1
Just went back to buy it, and the Bounce is $600. The other thing they are calling a bounce that they charge $80 is not even a true bounce. Well, not like I'm an expert, but to me it looks like a rhodactis, the ones with the warty on them? Geez.
So curious about your set up Alf. I'd love to see it. But $600... Can't do it.


__________________
~Morgan

Current Tank Info: 150 gall, 30 gall sump; 30 gall refugium
Whiterabbitrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2014, 04:56 PM   #7
alf03
Registered Member
 
alf03's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbitrage View Post
Just went back to buy it, and the Bounce is $600. The other thing they are calling a bounce that they charge $80 is not even a true bounce. Well, not like I'm an expert, but to me it looks like a rhodactis, the ones with the warty on them? Geez.
So curious about your set up Alf. I'd love to see it. But $600... Can't do it.

Yea they're the one of the priciest shrooms I've seen. I think they're more like the st Thomas shrooms. Or like a hybrid of both. Yea $600 is a lot for a tiny frag. I pulled the trigger on one when I thought it was a good enough deal. There's similar shrooms like the reef koi bouncer or the PZ Godspawn for about half the price but even at that it's a stretch.


alf03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2014, 06:08 PM   #8
Whiterabbitrage
Registered Member
 
Whiterabbitrage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,339
Blog Entries: 1
But if they are so hardy why are they so expensive? Seems like if it was hardy and easily fragged it brings the price down. Regular mushrooms are dirt cheap because they almost become pests they are so hardy.As expensive as Bounces are, seems logical they die easily. I think the same thing you do, they look like a cross between a warty Rhodactis and a St Thomas shroom. However I've only tried 1 regular St Thomas and it didn't last a month whereas the Rhodactis have been bullet proof. Whenever a living thing in my care doesn't make it, well I feel pretty guilty no matter what it cost was,it's still a living creature. I love shrooms but am afraid I might kill it. I've got a Apex system to monitor everything and am installing the salinity probe today. But still unsure about lights. Been thinking about investing in a PAR meter since I'm so paranoid. I'd sure love to see your tank. Can you post pix? What lighting do you use? What do you feed? Do you dose anything? Any help you can give I'd be grateful for. Your Bounce split? They survived tearing? Please tell me your secrets. For the love of shrooms!


__________________
~Morgan

Current Tank Info: 150 gall, 30 gall sump; 30 gall refugium
Whiterabbitrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2014, 07:08 PM   #9
alf03
Registered Member
 
alf03's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbitrage View Post
But if they are so hardy why are they so expensive? Seems like if it was hardy and easily fragged it brings the price down. Regular mushrooms are dirt cheap because they almost become pests they are so hardy.As expensive as Bounces are, seems logical they die easily. I think the same thing you do, they look like a cross between a warty Rhodactis and a St Thomas shroom. However I've only tried 1 regular St Thomas and it didn't last a month whereas the Rhodactis have been bullet proof. Whenever a living thing in my care doesn't make it, well I feel pretty guilty no matter what it cost was,it's still a living creature. I love shrooms but am afraid I might kill it. I've got a Apex system to monitor everything and am installing the salinity probe today. But still unsure about lights. Been thinking about investing in a PAR meter since I'm so paranoid. I'd sure love to see your tank. Can you post pix? What lighting do you use? What do you feed? Do you dose anything? Any help you can give I'd be grateful for. Your Bounce split? They survived tearing? Please tell me your secrets. For the love of shrooms!

I think for the price it just grows soo slow? Takes awhile for the bubbles to appear on some of the mushrooms. I've seen some that are a few inches in diameter with only a few bubbles and the more bubbles usually equals a higher price tag. Yea with coral it's always a gamble no matter the price. I've had mini tank crashes and never had issues with this shroom. But I can't speak for other people. But I know a few people who like to cut them up and sell them pretty often.

My tank is just the JBJ nano cube with stock LED lighting. I feed them pellets and they kind of just envelope it and it seems to help with growth. I've had my Godspawn mushroom for over a year now and I actually ripped it a few times cuz it was growing off the plug and whatever flesh was left over just grew into another shroom. As for the bounce I recently bought one a few months ago and I ended up cutting it in half and now I have two of them growing. Soo both seem hardy for me. Hardest part if you frag it is to get it to attach to a plug.

Here's a pic of my Godspawn



Some babies I've had



Bounce top left and Godspawn bottom right



alf03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2014, 07:27 PM   #10
cubsFAN
Moved On
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Lake Tahoe
Posts: 1,560
quoted for images



Some babies I've had



Bounce top left and Godspawn bottom right
[/QUOTE]


cubsFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2014, 03:39 PM   #11
alf03
Registered Member
 
alf03's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 235




alf03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2014, 07:06 PM   #12
Whiterabbitrage
Registered Member
 
Whiterabbitrage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,339
Blog Entries: 1
Wow!! your shrooms are great! Thanks for the pix. And the info too. Guess I'll start saving up. I could go $300 for one. I'll try to find someone selling a frag.


__________________
~Morgan

Current Tank Info: 150 gall, 30 gall sump; 30 gall refugium
Whiterabbitrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2014, 07:07 PM   #13
Whiterabbitrage
Registered Member
 
Whiterabbitrage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,339
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alf03 View Post

Quoting for images


__________________
~Morgan

Current Tank Info: 150 gall, 30 gall sump; 30 gall refugium
Whiterabbitrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2014, 07:41 PM   #14
alf03
Registered Member
 
alf03's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbitrage View Post
Wow!! your shrooms are great! Thanks for the pix. And the info too. Guess I'll start saving up. I could go $300 for one. I'll try to find someone selling a frag.

Thanks! I have quite a few that I'm trying to grow out right now... They're pretty easy as far as mushrooms go... I may be selling some of mine once they grow out a little more... But I see some for sale pretty often...


alf03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/2014, 07:34 AM   #15
UMass14
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbitrage View Post
It's not a steal if its going to die. People say Rics are easy but they do melt mysteriously.
Can't find info on these guys online. They like low light and low- mod flow I assume. Anything else? I really hesitate to believe they are easy.

And how much do they usually go for? I thought $80 for a shroom was insane.
You thought $80 was insane for a shroom and now you are going to SAVE $300 for one.

Good luck with that.


UMass14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/2014, 07:17 PM   #16
organism
code monkey
 
organism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: south bay
Posts: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbitrage View Post
But if they are so hardy why are they so expensive?
Because approximately 15% of their surface area isn't brown. That way if you have friends over you can have them sit reeeeeeeeeeeally close to the tank to show them the orange specks that make it a $600 mostly brown mushroom.


__________________
I don't always grow frags... but when I do, I prefer Dos Acros
organism is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/21/2015, 02:48 AM   #17
safari
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2


Anyone want to buy the whole colony about 20 heads ?


safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2016, 03:54 PM   #18
Vteclover
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
is this a true bounce??any chance some bubble turn orange to??
Took 16 months before splitting



Vteclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2016, 05:50 PM   #19
MadCnty
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pendleton, IN USA
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari View Post


Anyone want to buy the whole colony about 20 heads ?
No thanks... To ugly IMHO... I cannot believe that a specimen of this shroom sold for that amount... Heck I could buy an in wall DT for that :P


MadCnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2016, 12:24 PM   #20
sde1500
Registered Member
 
sde1500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glocester, RI
Posts: 3,197



__________________
My build thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2016, 12:31 PM   #21
Tweaked
FUP&A Member
 
Tweaked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Madison, CT
Posts: 7,726
Agreed, sweet mushroom.


__________________
DSA 105 Pro, Cebu Sun-Radiums-M80 Ballasts, 4 T5's, XHO LEDs. Through Wall 55g Sump, 10g Frag and 29g Display attached, Vertex V6, 3 mp40's, Gyre, 2 mp10's, GFO, Carbon, Pellets - 10g Bar Tank
Tweaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2016, 12:35 PM   #22
BeanMachine
Registered Member
 
BeanMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 10,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vteclover View Post
is this a true bounce??any chance some bubble turn orange to??
Took 16 months before splitting
That looks similar to what WWC calls a Biohazard.


__________________
300 Gallon 72x36x27 AGE- 60" 8 Lamp ATI LED PM- AA PVC Hybrid Sump- Dual Synergy Shadow Boxes w Bean Animal- AquaMaxx CO5- AquaMaxx cTech T3 CaRx- RD3 230- Apex- Tunze 6155 & 6150

DTOTM FEB 2018
BeanMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2016, 01:58 PM   #23
Vteclover
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 58
txs but not so fuzzy like the biohazard
actually its somewhere in between biohazard and toxic bounce


Vteclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2018, 02:16 AM   #24
ABzReef
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 38
I just got one,

And why doesnt mine look like this or vidid yellow color?

Mine looks like light yello


ABzReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/29/2018, 06:47 AM   #25
rvareef
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABzReef View Post
I just got one,

And why doesnt mine look like this or vidid yellow color?

Mine looks like light yello
ask the person you got it from?


rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:12 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.