Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/23/2018, 08:57 PM   #1
garbermatt
Registered Member

Tunze Powerheads are NOT WORTH THE MONEY

So I'll admit, I have not been meticulous about cleaning my powerheads. HOWEVER, given that i've never paid $500 for a pair of powerheads I didn't think it was necessary to keep them from dying. I mean, in the past i've had lots of cheap fish tank motors that were rarely if ever cleaned and kept chugging away so I assumed these would at least be comprable. I thought that's why people bought Tunze in the first place. For reliability.

Anyway they've both died now in less than a year and I just bought off brand replacements at my LFS for $22.99 each and they're performing just as well as the Tunze ever did. I figure the worst that could happen is they crap out on me in a few months and i'm still in better shape than I was with the Tunze. Anyway, end of rant.

garbermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 09:20 PM   #2
Bpb
Registered Member

While lemons seem to be fewer amongst nice things they’re certainly not exempt. I just had a 2 year old tunze 6105 die on me, and they offered me an $80 replacement motor but I’d have to send it in to have it all fixed and reassembled. 2 years, a period of inconvenient downtime, frustration, and $300 for a powerhead to die and be replaced isn’t acceptable. Not matter how good the customer service is. I know some people love them and they’ve lasted decades for some. I jumped ship though and will just keep my one remaining working one around as a backup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 11:23 PM   #3
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbermatt View Post
So I'll admit, I have not been meticulous about cleaning my powerheads. HOWEVER, given that i've never paid $500 for a pair of powerheads I didn't think it was necessary to keep them from dying. I mean, in the past i've had lots of cheap fish tank motors that were rarely if ever cleaned and kept chugging away so I assumed these would at least be comprable. I thought that's why people bought Tunze in the first place. For reliability.

Anyway they've both died now in less than a year and I just bought off brand replacements at my LFS for $22.99 each and they're performing just as well as the Tunze ever did. I figure the worst that could happen is they crap out on me in a few months and i'm still in better shape than I was with the Tunze. Anyway, end of rant.
If you killed two Tunze’s in less than a year, I suspect you have other issues. Which model pumps were these?

I’ve been running Tunze power heads for over a decade and haven’t had a failure to date. In fact, some of mine are 10 years old. I’ve also installed Tunze’s on several other tank installs and never had an issue. I’ve got 6105’s and 6205’s in my main display some of which are pushing 10 years of service, two 6095’s in my display fuge and a 6055 in my frag tank. I’ve installed a number of 6255’s and 6155’s in customers tanks which have been running for a few years now. All without skipping a beat.

That said, if these are less than year old and two failed, why didn’t you contact Tunze USA for replacements? They have great service and support.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 05:41 AM   #4
64Ivy
B'rer Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I’ve been running Tunze power heads for over a decade... In fact, some of mine are 10 years old.
So are mine and I've been running Tunzes for even longer. Can't say I've had NO issues but those I've had were always rectifyed in a timely and effiecient manner. Can't say enough good things.

ToTM 3-03

Current Tank Info: Between tanks. Searching for a home
64Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 06:16 AM   #5
dubmaneh
Registered Member

That is unfortunate. My experience has been different. After buying a few used Tunze items that continued working for a long time (one piece was broken and Tunze support was great even though it was purchased used and well beyond warranty) I switched my powerheads all to Tunze. Have been great thus far. Switched from another top shelf brand which had issues from the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dubmaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 09:20 AM   #6
smatter
Registered Member

They are far and away the most reliable pumps available. Not sure what's up with yours but why not just get them replaced under the excellent no questions asked warranty?

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 09:52 AM   #7
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

I've got a pair of Seio M1500's (a lot cheaper than Tunze) that have been running for about 10 years. I broke a ceramic shaft first time I cleaned them and got a replacement in a few days. I clean the impellers every 6 months or they won't restart. Other than that, no problems.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 06:07 PM   #8
marinelife
Registered Member

I had Streams in my tank for 13 years without issue. Tunze makes great products. if I would start using powerheads again I would not hesitate to get Tunze equipment. I still run a Tunze Skimmer. US Customer service is the best as well.

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.
marinelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 08:37 PM   #9
Joe0813
Registered Member

ive never used the tunze but my ecotech mp40s are around 8-9 years old without any issues. I actually just took them off to try the Neptune wav

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2018, 07:40 AM   #10
alton
Registered Member

I am confused because Tunze has a two year warranty, so the pumps will be fixed at no charge except shipping? I don't know of any DC controllable pumps for $22? And I always like the "if it last for months I am way ahead." Land fills are filling up, we don't need to fill them any faster! Plus people need to understand to protect their electrical devices from surges. The fact that both pumps went out the same time leads me to believe it was some kind of power surge.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2018, 12:58 PM   #11
phenom5
Unregistered Member

I've got a little Tunze Nano Stream that I bought in like...2005 or 2006. Still running in my sump right now. Have had the odd wear & tear replacement, but that thing is a freakin tank.

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 Pro | ATI Sunpower | ATB 840 v2 | Apex | Wav
phenom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2018, 02:21 PM   #12
d2mini
Registered Member

Tunze are awesome.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2018, 03:46 PM   #13
smatter
Registered Member

And you only pay shipping to get it to Roger, they pick up the return shipping.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2018, 08:34 AM   #14
sde1500
Registered Member

My Tunze powerheads have been rock solid. One vinegar soak each in two years, running perfectly. I wouldn't discount them from one bad experience, and as others have said they were still under warranty, not sure why you didn't reach out to Tunze.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2018, 08:07 AM   #15
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Tunze has awesome customer service! Not sure what your issues were or why you chose to bash one of the best company names/reputations in the business. Did you contact them before coming here to start a row? Looking at your equipment list you started in August 2017, you said you were using Gyres, never saw a single post on Tunze

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2018, 08:41 AM   #16
cincyjim
Registered Member

Been using the same ones for the past 7 years and never had an issue with them.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote