Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2018, 07:42 PM   #1
godspeed23
Registered Member

Saying goodbye

One of my absolute favorite fish is the clown trigger. For me, it's just one of the fish I had to have. I've read dozens of articles about them... and they all end badly. I've had mine for a little over a year. I've watched it grow from 2 inches to 5 inches. It demonstrates plenty of enthusiasm in my 250 gallon tank. It's exotic shape and colors are always attention grabbers. Unfortunately, as most experts predict, just as it has reached the 5-6 inch mark, this trigger has become very unneighborly. Now I'm forced to consider putting it up for adoption at my LFS. I'm completely disheartened. Has anyone had long term success keeping a clown trigger in a large community aquarium? Is this a hopeless cause?

godspeed23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 08:14 PM   #2
windlasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by godspeed23 View Post
One of my absolute favorite fish is the clown trigger. For me, it's just one of the fish I had to have. I've read dozens of articles about them... and they all end badly. I've had mine for a little over a year. I've watched it grow from 2 inches to 5 inches. It demonstrates plenty of enthusiasm in my 250 gallon tank. It's exotic shape and colors are always attention grabbers. Unfortunately, as most experts predict, just as it has reached the 5-6 inch mark, this trigger has become very unneighborly. Now I'm forced to consider putting it up for adoption at my LFS. I'm completely disheartened. Has anyone had long term success keeping a clown trigger in a large community aquarium? Is this a hopeless cause?
Sorry to hear that. This is one of the reasons I have avoided them over the years out of fear of just thins thing.

windlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 08:17 PM   #3
Xxero
Registered Member

I think that it would have to be a dedicated Trigger tank, which would be cool IMO. You could add Nigers and Browns, etc. Or else, yeah. He will gobble up everything that you put in there, I think.

HTH

Current Tank Info: 65g Mixed Reef Display - 15g Macro Algae/Refugium - 40b Sump
Xxero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 09:10 PM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

Yep, it's going to be a problem in general. Triggers are fascinating fish, but as I hear it even scuba divers run from the big ones.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 09:29 PM   #5
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Yep, it's going to be a problem in general. Triggers are fascinating fish, but as I hear it even scuba divers run from the big ones.
You heard right. I spent two weeks diving in Raja Ampat Indonesia in January. Our guide showed us a large bite mark on his arm from a Titan trigger that attacked him a couple weeks before we got there.

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 10:49 PM   #6
tkeracer619
Registered Member

If a trigger is sizing you up do him (and you) a favor, lift up some rocks, and find him something yummy to eat. You'll have a new friend.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 11:02 PM   #7
Sk8r
RC Mod

They sound like fascinating fish. I hope you can figure something.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 02:40 PM   #8
monkeysee1
Registered Member

You learned the hard way - Triggerfish are NOT known for their friendliness. The Nigerian Triggers, so I am told, are one of the better behaved of the species, but I don't know if that's saying much there, my friend.
They are best kept with other fishes that WON'T put up with their B.S., such a Lionfish, Sharks, Maroon Clowns and perhaps Scorpionfish. You MAY be able to get away with adding a full sized angel (such as a Queen Angel or a Blue RIng) but even these fish may not be able to hold their own against a Trigger. And of course you CAN'T keep ANY invertebrates or corals otherwise it'll be munch city.

monkeysee1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aggresive tank, clown triggerfish, fowler tank