Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/08/2010, 08:15 PM   #1
fullmonti
now is the time

experience with golden dwarf moray eel?

Saw one at a LFS, one of the coolest critters I've seen. Wondering what kinda of luck people have had with them in a reef tank. I have heard they are so small they don't bother tank mates like larger eels.

thanks for any info you may have to share

Jim

fullmonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2010, 09:32 PM   #2
pkrsuk
Registered Member

Have had one for 6-7 months. Now probably about 10 in or so. Usually do not see him unless feeding time. Hand feed various frozen foods several times a week. I'm sure it's taken care of several peppermint shrimp. Cleaner shrimp has been fine. Have a standard 180, mixed reef. mostly lps. He is one of my favorites. Good Luck.

Prashanth

pkrsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2010, 10:32 PM   #3
LukFox
Registered Member

Mine only took out a pair of pistol shrimp, but was otherwise perfect with everyone. Decently reclusive, but I could usually see her peeking out of a hole somewhere if I looked around. As she reached her adult size I slowed the feedings to once a week, feeding to satiation. You need a tight lid with NO gaps because they will find a hole to slip through. Some books say they only get 7", but mine ended up at 11.75" so be prepared for a 12" eel. I'd try to avoid mixing it with small gobies and the like. They're really great fish.

Unread 05/09/2010, 06:51 PM   #4
LamboBoy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonti View Post
Saw one at a LFS, one of the coolest critters I've seen. Wondering what kinda of luck people have had with them in a reef tank. I have heard they are so small they don't bother tank mates like larger eels.

thanks for any info you may have to share

Jim
I have one that is about 15" long with another eel of the same size. They don't bother each other at all. About 2 weeks ago I added a 3" Kole Tang into the tank to keep the tank free of algae and both Eels tried to take a crack at the Tang but he is too big and too fast. Now they don't even notice each other.

Unread 05/09/2010, 08:32 PM   #5
fullmonti
now is the time

I've been thinking how I can fix my frag soon to be a just another tank, eel escape proof.

But keep the info coming, & thanks

Unread 05/10/2010, 06:48 AM   #6
cwoods8
Registered Member

they will take out small fish and inverts if given the opportunity

Unread 05/10/2010, 10:25 AM   #7
JM68
Registered Member

mine is about 12" and has eatin a small psuedo, a cleaner shrimp, a pistol shrimp, yellow assessor and a small goby. All small critters that im sure presented themselves close enough to the eel to be eatin so i learned my lesson, no more tiny fish in that tank. They won't really actively hunt other fish or shrimp, but if they r waiting and the fish swim close enough to the eel they will grab it. Safest bet is just dont keep fish small enough to fit in its mouth and you wont have any problems. Anything bigger than small psuedos and gobies will be fine.

JM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 03:45 PM   #8
FishNDip
Registered Member

Where do you guys buy them from?

FishNDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 03:57 PM   #9
HBtank
Premium Member

Diver's Den will have them show up.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 04:33 PM   #10
fullmonti
now is the time

I have had one for about a year, got it at L.A. He has grown a lot and maxed out now 12''. He does eat shrimp but hasn't bothered pair of M clowns or a bluegreen chromis. Mine is in an 18" cube tank & I have been thinking of selling him to a good home. He probably would be happier in a bigger tank & then I could get a new fish I haven't had before.

Unread 02/07/2018, 04:45 PM   #11
m0nkie
Registered Member

mine is about 12" now. it's fine with everyone else, including the snowflake eel.

comes out when it gets hungry. I never target fed him. However I do over feed and always have whole mysis on the sandbed for fish to pick.

Unread 02/07/2018, 08:28 PM   #12
nezw0001
Registered Member

I had two for a short time. Thought I had an eel proof lid. They proved me wrong. Super cool little critters if you can keep them in the tank

Current Tank Info: 450g see thru tank, MH lighting, 180 basement sump, Apex controller, Lifereef skimmer, 30g QT tank
nezw0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 11:05 PM   #13
FishNDip
Registered Member

They look like awesome "peaceful" ells. If you can even call an ell peaceful. Unfortunately they go for 200$+ and that's a lot of coral or fish you could buy.

FishNDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 01:37 PM   #14
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I've had a couple. Never ate any fish. Highly motivated to escape (lost one to the carpet) so ensure a TIGHT fitting lid. Mine would hang out with their heads poking out of the rocks most of the day.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote