Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2018, 02:51 PM   #1
snowman5373
Registered Member

9004 airline keeps clogging.

Airline clogs on all the 9004 skimmers. Purchased the doc skimmer as my previous was a regular 9004, thinking the airline wouldn’t clog anymore.

This one still clogs up, requiring you to remove the skimmer and take it apart to clear the airline of salt creep. This happens once a month at least. It really is a hassle to remove the skimmer from the back chamber, take it apart, clear the line, put it back together and then reinserted it back in the chamber.

There is definitely a design flaw in these skimmers.

I have tried everything to keep it from clogging. Lowering, raising, keeping the airline as far as it will go away from the tank.

snowman5373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 03:01 PM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I have not found this to be true and I use the 9012 which is a bigger version with the same basic design. I won't say it never happens as you describe but the root culprit will be that it is taking in salt laden air, usually in the extreme cases where it is monthly the silencer is under a canopy or in a cabinet or somehow near a lot of salt spray, submerged too deep is also a culprit. You don't have to take it all apart if you catch it early or preventatively just place the air hose in a shot glass of hot water, it will suck it in and break down the salt. This will not work if it is plugged, but if you do it as a routine maintenance or at the first signs the air flow is impaired, you can avoid a full tear down. While I have not tried it, I have thought about possibly a thin film of food grade silicon spray lube in the air intake nipple so it would have nothing to stick too. Most people seem to report getting 4-6 months and on my 9012 this is what I see as well.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 04:01 PM   #3
snowman5373
Registered Member

I will def try the hot water trick and hope it works. Will save me a huge headache from having to remove and take it apart once a month.

Unread 03/22/2018, 07:22 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I will return your call later today, if you could post some pics of how it is installed I would like to try to find a solution, this frequency is not normal. I would expect at least 3 months with no real reduction in performance and after 3-4 months some reduction but not a complete obstruction of the air intake and that is what I am usually hearing from customers and seeing on my 9012. I only break down the 9012 every 6 months.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 03/22/2018, 08:53 AM   #5
snowman5373
Registered Member

I did get your voicemail and thanks for that.

The hot water trick worked great and will just keeping doing that every couple weeks. If I had known the hot water trick I might have kept my old non DOC 9004.

As per my previous post, I have tried lowering and raising the skimmer. When I had my old 9004 I didn’t have any fish, so I never turned it off and back on besides to do water changes.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3D2C2D0D-10A7-461D-9C47-461CAE17C630.jpg (45.0 KB, 12 views)
Unread 03/22/2018, 09:35 AM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Everything looks right, my only thoughts on the installation would be to use the included small piece of velcro or something similar and attach the silencer to the side of the tank and possibly lengthen the stubby piece of hose so it is pointed away from the tank. It might also help to rotate the skimmer 90 degrees so the intake is away from that wall, their could be some splash or restriction caused by how close the wall is to the intake and that could both affect the skimmer internally and put up a salty mist by the silencer.

Unread 03/22/2018, 02:52 PM   #7
Seeady66
Registered Member

I have 2 exact tanks with 2 9004dc skimmers one is fine other one is blocking like op. I’ve tried the vinegar as in instructions will try the hot water I can’t work out why this one keeps blocking ether

Seeady66 is offline   Reply With Quote