Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/26/2012, 06:28 PM   #26
mtc1966
Registered Member

not such a good idea mainly because of the higher temps you most likely keep the reef at. will make them more susceptible to diseases . the fish them selves are not the worst to keep with horses although with smaller horses they may out compete them for food. j.m.o

65g seahorse tank 20g sump with a reef octopus skimmer ,tlf 150 reactor, red sea ozone generator controller,cpr hob fuge with light and 2 China led lights one 42x1 w and one 24x3 w. occupied by 4 ecectus seahorses a couple small gobies and cuc.

Current Tank Info: 58g main with 20g sump
mtc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2012, 09:00 PM   #27
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtc1966 View Post
not such a good idea mainly because of the higher temps you most likely keep the reef at. will make them more susceptible to diseases . the fish them selves are not the worst to keep with horses although with smaller horses they may out compete them for food. j.m.o
Makes sense. I am getting more worried now about them and I'm leaving out of town for 4 days in just over a week. I have someone that will be watching my tanks and house like always but I was hoping to get them settled in before I leave for my trip. I think the temp and flow is going to be too much based on the feedback I was given on seahorse.org as well.

NoobtoSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2012, 10:37 PM   #28
rayjay
Registered Member

If you put them in the reef tank you will have more to worry about than just the heat.
The seahorses may also be stressed out by the faster movements of the tank mates it would have, and, may fall victim to pathogens the other fish carry that the seahorses haven't been exposed to before.
I think it best to leave them in the 6g for now and do large water changes frequently. Maybe you could get a larger tank before you go and transfer everything over.
Show the fish sitter how to do the water changes just before you go so it can be changed half way through your absence and then do another change when you get back.
I would have the sitter go light on the food to lessen the chance of a foul up.
Smaller feedings more times a day work best.
Show them too, how to remove uneaten accumulated food/detritus.
Seahorses can have areas of low, medium, and high flow, as long as there are hitches available in each area so they can choose what they want. They can handle high flow as long as it can't blast them against the tank or decor/rockwork.
Any stinging corals are bad tankmates.
I've seen postings about people hooking seahorse tanks inline with sps tanks and the sps tanks ended up with problems because many sps require very clean water and seahorse tank water is anything but. It apparently doesn't affect all sps but I can't tell you which do and don't.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2012, 11:52 PM   #29
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

glad I asked then about the reef tank. Sounds like even a 15 gallon would be fine for these two then. I might get a column tank in the next few days. I will just do a larger water change in my main tank to jump start the cycle so it is less stress on the seahorses. I have a tunze 9002 I can throw on the seahorse tank when I get it as well. If they don't require any special lighting I might just get the tank for now and add leds later. I just like the looks of leds. Also if I don't run a heater and my room temp only gets to 66 or so it sounds like that would new good for them. I would imagine the tank water temp would be closer to 68

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Unread 06/27/2012, 07:02 AM   #30
mtc1966
Registered Member

my tank is in a air conditioned room . temp is find during the summer its the winter i have to se a fan for.

65g seahorse tank 20g sump with a reef octopus skimmer ,tlf 150 reactor, red sea ozone generator controller,cpr hob fuge with light and 2 China led lights one 42x1 w and one 24x3 w. occupied by 4 ecectus seahorses a couple small gobies and cuc.

Unread 06/27/2012, 07:48 AM   #31
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
my tank is in a air conditioned room . temp is find during the summer its the winter i have to se a fan for.
And no heater right? I have central air conditioning and keep my temp around 71 all year long

Unread 06/27/2012, 07:54 AM   #32
mtc1966
Registered Member

i have a heater in my sump on a controller set at 68 but its most likely not needed i just happened to have the equipment.

Unread 06/27/2012, 08:48 AM   #33
rayjay
Registered Member

Make sure any heater you may use has protection just in case it comes on and a seahorse decides to curl around it.
Also, Make sure any power head has protection on the intake to prevent sucking the seahorse against it.
Room temperature of 71° would be fine as LED lighting when you get it, will not put the temperature above the recommended 74°.

Unread 06/27/2012, 05:17 PM   #34
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

So next question is a 10-15 gallon adequate enough for them? my wife really likes the look of the edge we have and I was thinking of just getting the 12 gallon version of it. Also figured once they start to breed I can use the other edge for the fry maybe? I don't know much about these animals but what I saw the other day makes me think that the female was dropping eggs into the males pouch.

Unread 06/27/2012, 06:46 PM   #35
rayjay
Registered Member

IMO, 12 is still pushing things and will require more husbandry than normal. I'd rather see 15g minimum myself.
Another worry would be that IF they are NOT H. fisheri, and they grow larger than the 3" then you will have to upgrade again because of the size.
I'd do some research about the "edge" to see how many people have had problems with doing salt water tanks with them and find out if the gas exchange is sufficient to keep the pH in proper range, especially in weather where the house is all shut up for heating or cooling.

Unread 06/27/2012, 08:39 PM   #36
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

I'm trying to find a tank that my wife will be ok with for the time being. I'm thinking this one might fit the bill. I wasn't expecting to spend extra money at the current moment and were heading out on an expensive vacation in a week. I need to build a stand for it but I think this would be the best option for even a longer term for them. It gives them the height as well as a larger body of water. I will likely change out the lighting on it but it comes with a T5 setup so who knows. I haven't bought it yet but was hoping for some suggestions on this one as well.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11390248

Unread 06/27/2012, 08:46 PM   #37
mtc1966
Registered Member

is there a way to put a skimmer on the back? interesting tank though.

Unread 06/27/2012, 08:49 PM   #38
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
is there a way to put a skimmer on the back? interesting tank though.
Not sure. I would imagine that I could place it in the rear area where the filter and the heater would go. Based on the feedback from you guys I don't see why I would need a heater and I plan on adding a canister filter at some point for filtration . I just don't have room for a tank with a sump right now.

Unread 06/27/2012, 09:01 PM   #39
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

maybe I can do a small little sump like a 10 gallon on it to hold the skimmer and keep the lines of the tank clean with no skimmer installed. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this tank tomorrow and if I don't like it I can always take it back.

Unread 06/27/2012, 10:02 PM   #40
rayjay
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobtoSalt View Post
I'm trying to find a tank that my wife will be ok with for the time being. I'm thinking this one might fit the bill. I wasn't expecting to spend extra money at the current moment and were heading out on an expensive vacation in a week. I need to build a stand for it but I think this would be the best option for even a longer term for them. It gives them the height as well as a larger body of water. I will likely change out the lighting on it but it comes with a T5 setup so who knows. I haven't bought it yet but was hoping for some suggestions on this one as well.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11390248
I hope you have long arms.
As seahorse tanks need a lot of cleaning, you may get discouraged at cleaning with that depth.

Unread 06/27/2012, 10:45 PM   #41
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
I hope you have long arms.
As seahorse tanks need a lot of cleaning, you may get discouraged at cleaning with that depth.
Darn. I always forget stuff like that.. back to the drawing board.

Unread 06/28/2012, 07:23 AM   #42
timinnl
Registered Member

Hi NoodtoSalt,

Would you consider contacting DanU too see if he wants them? If they are indeed the H. Fisheri it might be better for them now and in the long run better for you and other hobbyist looking for them? Also are you in WA or CA? Nevermind I see that there is a Vancouver Washington.

Kind Regards,

Tim

Unread 06/28/2012, 08:43 AM   #43
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timinnl View Post
Hi NoodtoSalt,

Would you consider contacting DanU too see if he wants them? If they are indeed the H. Fisheri it might be better for them now and in the long run better for you and other hobbyist looking for them? Also are you in WA or CA? Nevermind I see that there is a Vancouver Washington.

Kind Regards,

Tim
Thanks for making me feel like I can't handle them. if these are that rare why would I jeopardize my opportunity with them? Just doesn't make sense. This could be a blessing in disguise for me. I'm not new to the hobby just these fish

Unread 06/28/2012, 09:31 AM   #44
timinnl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobtoSalt View Post
Thanks for making me feel like I can't handle them. if these are that rare why would I jeopardize my opportunity with them? Just doesn't make sense. This could be a blessing in disguise for me. I'm not new to the hobby just these fish

Didn't say you couldn't handle them. You are going on holidays soon and whose going to look after them for you?

Unread 06/28/2012, 05:04 PM   #45
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timinnl View Post
Didn't say you couldn't handle them. You are going on holidays soon and whose going to look after them for you?
I have plenty of locals that watch my tanks as well as my house. Not going to be an issue. And yes I wasn't expecting to have seahorses but why would I give them up now that I have them?

I'm really looking forward to them rare or not. I've wanted to get seahorses in the past but just thought it would be too much at the time. Now that I have them it makes it an easier decision to work with them.

Unread 06/29/2012, 08:16 AM   #46
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

If all goes well today i'm picking up a 30 gallon cube for them. Should be a much better option for them and will be an open top tank

Unread 06/29/2012, 08:40 AM   #47
mtc1966
Registered Member

that should be sweet . post some pics of the set up. will you have enough time to cycle before vacation? i would use live rock and water from your existing tanks water changes to fill it toss in a handful of live sand. and even some cycle boost even though its often called snake oil i still use it . cant hurt any and my cycles seem to be quick with that method.

Unread 06/29/2012, 08:43 AM   #48
btreyes
Registered Member

You can cycle much faster with a bacterial additive, I've started all of my recent tanks within 1-2 days with one called "Stability". My seahorse tank only took 2 days before it was ready and all of the seahorses are fine.

btreyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2012, 08:59 AM   #49
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btreyes View Post
You can cycle much faster with a bacterial additive, I've started all of my recent tanks within 1-2 days with one called "Stability". My seahorse tank only took 2 days before it was ready and all of the seahorses are fine.
I have a 75 gallon tank at my patents house that I will be getting water from as well as using stability

Unread 06/30/2012, 01:07 AM   #50
NoobtoSalt
Registered Member