Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Greater San Francisco Bay Area Reef Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/01/2007, 11:08 PM   #1
jafrica
Registered Member

Bay Area Fish Store Review

What's everyone's favorite spots to get aquarium stuff? Below is a list of some of the places that I've been to around Mountain View. By far my favorite is Dublin but the drive is starting to wear on me.

Aquarium Concepts - Dublin
Has a good selection of corals and fish. I do see lots of dead fish in their tanks though and for the last month it seems they've been fighting some sort of fungus there. - Has natural salt water

Seascapes - Mountain View
I have no idea how this place is still around. You'll have better luck finding a good fish at the asian market on the same street. They also charge to get in on some days. I commented about it once and some dude in a tie dyed t-shirt yelled at me.

Brian's Fish World - San Jose
There wasn't really much in the way of reef stuff here and the people who worked here were not very helpful. Took me about two minutes to walk in and out (that's with trying to talk to one of the workers). - This was after a 30 minute drive.

Aquatic Gallery - Milpitas
Has a good selection of livestock. Not much in the way of dry goods but I am sure they can order something for you if you want.

Dolphin Pet Village - Campbell
When I went here, they just reopened... Not really fair for me to say... At their old spot though they always had a decent selection of dry goods but I thought their prices were high. It was also cool because you could also check out the other pets they have in their store while you are there.

Major Pet chains - Everywhere
Dry good stuff is cheap... if they carry it... need help? fend for yourself, I have yet to find a knowledgable worker at these places.

Pretty cool resource on fish store reviews... Doesn't seem like there are many posts though.

http://www.fishstorereview.com/revie..._northern.html

Current Tank Info: 90g Bowfront + 40g Refugium, 48" 250w Solaris, Deltec TS1050, 2 Tunze Nano PHs
jafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2007, 02:45 PM   #2
Twisted
Premium Member

I never go down to the bay area without dropping in on atlantis aquariums. They have some of the best stuff around, but be ready to pay for it.

Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2007, 02:50 PM   #3
CitS
Premium Member

I think Brian's Fish World is too expensive.
Amazon Pets is nearby

CitS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2007, 03:31 PM   #4
jjkief86
Registered Member

Oceantic on Cedar st. in SF is full of plants and rare fresh fish.
Ultamite Aquarium has a good variety of salt fish and coral.
Aquatic Central has a lot of high quality flowerhorns.
Lucky Ocean is great if you need information. They have the healthiest saltwater angels.
Just a few of my favorits.

jjkief86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2007, 09:29 PM   #5
KellyPug
Registered Member

Lucky Goldfish in downtown Oakland is pretty nice. Some stuff may seem a little pricey since they may be common but they're mainly really healthy. I think I'd only buy from their display tank - bought something from one of their smaller tanks and I think it tracked pyramid snails into my tank. Lucky Goldfish in San Jose...that's another story >.>

New Alameda Aquatics in Alameda is sorta hit and miss to me. Sometimes they have really nice stuff...or just stuff in general. Other times, it's quite empty there. Since I visited it end of last year, it's been getting more pricey since he's trying to build up his line of limited editions.

Aquatic Concept I thought had the healthiest fish ever. We bought most of our fish there. But last time I stopped by, about 2 weeks ago, their tanks were in such poor condition. I guess they had some sort of outbreak. All their clowns, in the for sale tanks and the displays, had sores or something all over their bodies, fins, and lips. It made me wanna cry. >.<

Current Tank Info: 55g->29g biocube->20g long->90g :)
KellyPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2007, 01:54 AM   #6
Kinetic
Registered Member

All About Fish (Pleasant Hill / Concord)

I always goto this Fish Store, mostly because it's right around the corner from my work, and the people there are very friendly. All the workers will greet you, and the place is very clean.

Bob is great to chat with. I like to follow him around sometimes while he's working and talk to him about the newest cool fish he's seen. He has a Genicanthus Bellus right now in his aquacultured tank that I hope he'll decide to sell soon! He knows his fish, that's for sure!

The other guys are very eager to help, and never tell you something that's completely wrong. They are honest, and even if they aren't sure of something as well.

The coral selection is huge if you like LPS. They have scolys, euphiliya, galore! They have a nice tank with a bunch of clams... but not much in terms of SPS lately.

They recently have had a few aquacultured frags show up, I'm guessing it's other customers bringing them in. Some nice radioactive zoos and such.

They're always stocked on damsels and chromis!

Anyway, great place to visit. It's a huge warehouse, with tons of fish, and a good amount of tanks. They also have DT's and Reef Nutrition products as well if you guys are interested.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2007, 08:03 AM   #7
schwebb
Registered Member

the one thing I don't like about Aquarium Concepts is their customer service. Most of the people there come across as arrogant which to me is rude. Livestock is good but there are always dead fish. There is a little hole in the wall place in Pleasanton called Wet Pets. The owner is a interesting guy. They may not be the most knowledgeable but time to time live stock is good and great deals.

schwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2007, 10:42 AM   #8
northbay-reefer
Registered Member

I went to Aquatic gallery several times already, and each time I come out of that place dissapointed. Poor service, poor quality, high prices, and the place is cramped. They have lots of display tanks but they wont frag anything for you unless they know you real well ... what the heck ???? all the nice stuff are NOT for sale

Current Tank Info: Tankless :D
northbay-reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2007, 12:13 PM   #9
neyugn0w01
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by northbay-reefer
I went to Aquatic gallery several times already, and each time I come out of that place dissapointed. Poor service, poor quality, high prices, and the place is cramped. They have lots of display tanks but they wont frag anything for you unless they know you real well ... what the heck ???? all the nice stuff are NOT for sale
Wow. That is the first I heard of AQ having poor serive and poor quality. I agree the place is cramped and the prices are high on some items, but you do find some nice stuff there. High price pieces are usually the current fad coral anyways. You can't expect them to sell a nice looking chalice or Aussie lord for cheap. I never had a problem with getting frags in their display tank, granted the colony was large enough.

neyugn0w01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2007, 12:30 PM   #10
northbay-reefer
Registered Member

no I didnt expect it to be cheap, I was willing to pay but they wouldnt frag the nice stuff, all they said was sorry we dont frag anything out of our display tank ... but I saw them frag for other customers other time I was there. Maybe they just dont like me Its only my personal experience though.

If you look at their coral tanks in the back, most of the colonies are browned out . Its hard to pay $100 or more for a brown out colony. The new stuff can be nice if you hit it just right, but I am 2 hours away so its not worth it for me to drive all the way down there to get dissapointed again.

My favorite store is still stlucky gold fish in Oakland

Current Tank Info: Tankless :D
northbay-reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2007, 12:36 PM   #11
rleechb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by northbay-reefer
I'd have to say AG has average service, average quality, and outrageous prices. Their corals used to be great, but it seems that they've been having some issues with their tanks in the last 6-8 months; lots of brown outs/stning colonies.

rleechb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2007, 01:00 AM   #12
Jacob D
Registered Member

I've always had great experiences with AG. Bao is a great guy, always willing to take time with customers, and help out local (and not so local) reef clubs. I agree the prices are high, but I have picked up some nice fish there for fair prices.

I miss Aquascene

Current Tank Info: Retired from reefing...
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2007, 01:56 AM   #13
bookfish
Registered Member

So many of us met at Aquascene first. I think I met all the original CVR crew there. Or maybe a swap. It was a long time ago.

bookfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2007, 09:45 AM   #14
GreshamH
Registered Member

Yah, it's a shame Jame's crashed and burned so hard. Aquascene was a great store and James was great to deal with back then

GreshamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2007, 10:05 AM   #15
Jacob D
Registered Member

Jim,
You probably met a lot of NVR guys at Aquascene too. In fact I'd bet you met lots of reefers over there... that place was always packed like a sardine can.

I miss Exotic Reefs too. Not so much an LFS, but I enjoyed the occasional trip to John's garage. I am glad he left it in good hands.

...gettting back to the present, I've heard that New Alameda has a nice selection and decent prices, apparently though his hours are pretty limited. Anyone been there?

Current Tank Info: Retired from reefing...
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2007, 10:16 AM   #16
bookfish
Registered Member

I don't think I was ever at Exotic Reefs. I'm at New Alameda fairly regularly and right now, the sps selection is low but there's other stuff to choose from. Weekends are best, when he's open all day.

Unread 08/04/2007, 10:20 AM   #17
orientalexpress
Registered Member

Aquascene is where i meet all the coral pimps,u know who u are

lapsan

Current Tank Info: 72x36x30
orientalexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2007, 10:21 AM   #18
orientalexpress
Registered Member

what time they're open today jim?do they're carry elos test kit?

lapsan

Current Tank Info: 72x36x30
orientalexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2007, 10:31 AM   #19
bookfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by orientalexpress
what time they're open today jim?do they're carry elos test kit?

lapsan
Hey Lapsan, don't know either of those things but I'm stopping by at noon.
And I think I met you way back when we were both BARE!

Unread 08/04/2007, 12:08 PM   #20
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by orientalexpress
Aquascene is where i meet all the coral pimps,u know who u are

lapsan
Wahoo, I met you there so I must be a Coral Pimp.

Where's my money Coral, don't make me frag you

GreshamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2007, 12:45 PM   #21
bookfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GreshamH
Wahoo, I met you there so I must be a Coral Pimp.

Where's my money Coral, don't make me frag you
Again!