Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/18/2015, 01:26 PM   #1
BennytheBlenny1
Registered Member

Polyp bailout Acan and Candy Cane coral.

I recently bought a 150 gallon fish tank and while I was getting it set up and letting it cycle and run for a while to get all the water parameters in order my 55 gallon which had all my corals in it went south some how because some of my LPS corals started detaching from their skeletons and my Purple Favia died and I just bought it two weeks prior. all of my water parameters were good the only thing I didn't test was the magnesium which I now have a test kit but that old water is long gone.

Long story short I moved everything to the 150 gallon and everyone looks lively and open. I found all of the detached coral and set them is some small glasses with substrate at the bottom. They seem to be ok and are eating.

My questions are:
-Will the corals grow back their skeletons?
-Has anyone tried glueing the lose polyps to a peg?
-Has anyone had any success in keeping detached polyps alive?

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon fish and coral tank, 45 x 4w Aquatic Life T5 lights, Fluval FX6 filter, Instant Ocean protein skimmer, AA internal UV sterilizer.
BennytheBlenny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2015, 02:48 PM   #2
Tweaked
FUP&A Member

While these animals we keep can be surprisingly hardy, I would say no, they are goners without their skeletons.

Unread 12/18/2015, 03:10 PM   #3
cloak
Moved On

If you can find these polyps a quiet spot where they won't be disturbed for awhile there is definitely still hope... While polyp bailout is not really a good thing IMO, it can be a form of reproduction sometimes. There's a method to the madness so to say. GL.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/8/aafeature1

Last edited by cloak; 12/18/2015 at 03:44 PM.
cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2015, 07:55 PM   #4
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Great article Cloak.

Love the new avatar too

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2015, 04:15 PM   #5
cloak
Moved On

Sk8r told me that one time too. I didn't understand why at the time, but it took me awhile to figure it out. "cloak" I was just going for mystery...

cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2015, 12:06 PM   #6
BennytheBlenny1
Registered Member

Well all the detached polyps are still alive. I found no posts about whether or not you can glue them. They keep flipping upside down so I keep having to very carefully flip them back over.

I might take a chance and experiment on one of them and see how they do glued. I may start by flipping a peg upside down and putting a dab of glue at the tip of the peg and carefully center him on it. Any thoughts?

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon fish and coral tank, 45 x 4w Aquatic Life T5 lights, Fluval FX6 filter, Instant Ocean protein skimmer, AA internal UV sterilizer.
BennytheBlenny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2015, 11:51 AM   #7
dutch27
Registered Member

I don't have experience with polyp's that ran for the hills, but you could try putting them in a container of rubble rock with holes in it to allow some flow through. This may keep them from flipping over, while giving them a chance to attach to the rubble, it's a technique used for getting loose muchrooms and zoas to attach to things to be glued up later. Since they've already bailed, you have nothing to lose by trying out different things on different polyps and seeing if any of it works.

dutch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2015, 08:35 AM   #8
SCReefer13
Registered Member

Interested to see what happens. I have seen polyp bailout in a friend's tank but never followed up with him to see if he was able to save the coral polyps

SCReefer13 is offline   Reply With Quote