Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/13/2017, 03:25 AM   #1
Woonkie
Registered Member

Female turned on the male

So out of nowhere my female clownfish started to chase the male. My flame angel got in on this also. But it wasn’t just chasing. It was aggressive. Even when I the net in to separate them the 2 fish were just staring at the male in the corner waiting to make a move. I grabbed the male and put it in the sump to save it since it had no where to go in the tank. These 2 have been inseparable since I got them. Now the female will not let it go near her. I did notice them sleeping separate the last couple days. So is this it now? Should I just get rid of 1 of them?

Woonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 11:31 AM   #2
D-Nak
Registered Member

This unfortunately happens from time to time. I have a female that went rogue on her mate and killed him, this is after being with each other for over 3 years. You know how women can be.

In all seriousness, what you can try is to keep them separated for a week or so (the sump good because they can't see each other) then after a week or so, you can reintroduce the male to the female using a clear container. If she tries to attack him, then your female is crazy.

Unread 11/13/2017, 02:38 PM   #3
Woonkie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
This unfortunately happens from time to time. I have a female that went rogue on her mate and killed him, this is after being with each other for over 3 years. You know how women can be.

In all seriousness, what you can try is to keep them separated for a week or so (the sump good because they can't see each other) then after a week or so, you can reintroduce the male to the female using a clear container. If she tries to attack him, then your female is crazy.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about catching the female and adding her to the sump and then monitoring it. Seeing if a new environment with no other fish could get them back together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 08:29 PM   #4
davocean
Registered Member

Sometimes this is actually the result of further change, I just went through this last week.
I've had my clown pair since march w/ 0 issues, and last week they were just furious w/ each other, more than I've ever seen w/ a fairly established bonded pair ever.

They were so rough w/ each other I can see scales jacked up, no blood but obvious scale damage.

I just kept my eyes on them, was pretty sure this was just a lead up, a rougher one than usual, but you never know.

Well, 2-3 days of that and now they are extremely lovy dovy, and they are cleaning an area below their nem, I'm sure eggs will be there any day.

Can't swear this is the same for you, but I'd probably isolate the pair and keep an eye, as long as there is no excessive fin tearing or blood it may just be the final move forward.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote