Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/18/2018, 01:51 AM   #1
schroedel
Registered Member

Acan Echinata??

Just picked up this beauty today. I assume it is an Acan Echinata? If so, I assume from what I have read that I have to be very careful with placement due to its stinging abilities? How much space do I need to give it? I would hate to have to get rid of it since my tank is very full.IMG_20180117_182713.jpg

Unread 01/18/2018, 07:00 AM   #2
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Yes, looks like A. echinata to me. IME, they are one of the most aggressive corals. Not only can they produce long, like 4", sweepers at night, but they can also extend mesentery filaments that are way more toxic to whatever they touch than sweepers.

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 01:45 AM   #3
schroedel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Bass View Post
Yes, looks like A. echinata to me. IME, they are one of the most aggressive corals. Not only can they produce long, like 4", sweepers at night, but they can also extend mesentery filaments that are way more toxic to whatever they touch than sweepers.
Aww crap!! I immediately moved him away from my new scoly. He is in timeout in the corner until I figure out what to do with him. Thanks

Unread 01/19/2018, 11:41 AM   #4
jd371
Registered Member

Yes! Give it a lot of space. I thought 4" would be enough, I thought wrong.
This Cyphastrea and a Favia were stung by my Enchinata.

jd371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 07:38 PM   #5
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Yeah that Cyphastrea got spanked repeatedly over a wide area. I'd consider giving the stung part an iodine based dip to disinfect.

Favia can also be aggressive, at least in terms of long sweepers. I had one that couldn't have been 1.5 inches across and yet 4" sweepers would emerge at night.

Personally, I find A. echinata and Faviids very attractive and with proper placement, a beautiful addition to the tank. Oh, and while sweepers generally blow with the current, mesentery filaments can creep along the sand bed upstream!

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 02:34 AM   #6
schroedel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd371 View Post
Yes! Give it a lot of space. I thought 4" would be enough, I thought wrong.
This Cyphastrea and a Favia were stung by my Enchinata.
Wow, really got it good.

Unread 01/21/2018, 02:38 AM   #7
schroedel
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah that Cyphastrea got spanked repeatedly over a wide area. I'd consider giving the stung part an iodine based dip to disinfect.

Favia can also be aggressive, at least in terms of long sweepers. I had one that couldn't have been 1.5 inches across and yet 4" sweepers would emerge at night.

Personally, I find A. echinata and Faviids very attractive and with proper placement, a beautiful addition to the tank. Oh, and while sweepers generally blow with the current, mesentery filaments can creep along the sand bed upstream!
Good to know..Thanks

Unread 01/22/2018, 11:05 AM   #8
jd371
Registered Member

Quote:

I think this is how the Favia was stung.

jd371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 01:50 PM   #9
Jekerry
Registered Member

This is frustrating! Why are they referred to as peaceful on liveaquaria? That doesn’t sound very peaceful to me.

Jekerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 10:51 AM   #10
Bryn
Registered Member

I have three Acan Echinata, do a wellness check every night before bed, and have never seen any sweepers, similar to my Favias, except for one Favia which I have seen on a regular basis extending sweepers almost 4 inches. But I still do not trust them and keep them a good distance from anything else..

Bryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 05:01 PM   #11
aromano
Registered Member

never seen sweeper tentacles from echinata. Messenteral filaments however appear semi-regularly. Mine will send out if anything annoys them. They can range anywhere from about a sixteenth of an inch out about four inches. Have seen them sent out across the substrate to attack neighbor. These dont blow in the current usually and they pack quite a punch, Basically digest their victim

aromano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 03:27 PM   #12
SonoranReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedel View Post
Just picked up this beauty today. I assume it is an Acan Echinata? If so, I assume from what I have read that I have to be very careful with placement due to its stinging abilities? How much space do I need to give it? I would hate to have to get rid of it since my tank is very full.Attachment 385904

Beautiful piece, hopefully you can find a place to keep it and it live in harmony with its tank mates.

SonoranReefer is offline   Reply With Quote