Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/07/2017, 12:34 PM   #26
Malign Reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
acrylic? Go ats? Lol
lol

Unread 03/07/2017, 01:07 PM   #27
Spyderturbo007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malign Reefer View Post
If you want a awesome build acrylic tank I know a guy in PA.
I thought acrylic was to be stayed away from because it scratches so easily?

PM me his information. I'm exploring all options.

Thanks.

Spyderturbo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 01:33 PM   #28
karimwassef
Registered Member

That's my view anyway...

But if you ask this question, you'll start the equivalent of a riot... opinions and passions can run deep here.

Glass is superior in my worldview, but that's like a religious belief... you need to figure out your own path.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 07:11 PM   #29
pecan2phat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
As do I. I'm planning on doing a peninsula tank, so I'll have to contact them and see if it's something they can do. I don't see anything on their website other than the standard overflow in the back configuration.

I'd also want low iron on 3 sides.
They charge based on each hole drilled and an over flow option so it doesn't matter where you want the over flow placed, it's just 3 pieces of clear glass that they silicone based on your parameters.
Low Iron glass, eurobrace, drilled holes, sched 80 bulkheads, over flow option, acrylic over flow cover are all accessory options.
It's best to get them a sketch or cad drawing if you want accuracy.

pecan2phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 05:22 PM   #30
DMX512
Registered Member

This is encouraging info. GC is about 2 1/2 hrs from me so that s why I am looking at them.
We have a Sprinter and a 26' straight truck at work that I can use. Hmmm.

DMX512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 06:57 PM   #31
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

I know this is an old thread, but I tried to get a custom tank from them maybe 10 or 12 years ago - exchanged emails and talked on the phone a few times, sent them a drawing, got a quote, and gave them my credit card number for a deposit (which, thankfully, they never charged). We even picked a delivery date based on their show delivery schedule. The delivery date was about two months out from when these conversations happened.

I called them three days before the delivery date just to confirm the schedule, and the guy (same guy I'd talked to and exchanged emails and drawings with) acted like he'd never heard of me, and claimed he didn't have a tank on his truck for me and didn't know anything about my order. When I insisted and offered to forward the emails so we could pick a new delivery date, he started getting a little rude. I just hung up and took my business elsewhere.

I know any business can have a hiccup. Anyone can have a bad day on the phone. But this just gave me a really bad taste, regardless of the quality of work. But hey, it worked out in the end, because not having that tank from them is what eventually lead me down the path of my DIY 360g which I'm really happy about!

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 08:03 PM   #32
mfinn
Registered Member

I was pretty happy with my Glasscages tank, until it sprung a leak on a bottom seam at about year 8.

Unread 12/13/2017, 12:47 AM   #33
karimwassef
Registered Member

I've had great success with mine

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 12/13/2017, 08:49 AM   #34
pecan2phat
Registered Member

Have had my GC 120g for 13 years now and 180g for 11 years.

pecan2phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2017, 10:54 PM   #35
solareclisped
Registered Member

I ended up with one that is 48x36x25 with holes drilled for a synergy reef overflow. Tank is well built. Not the prettiest but definitely well built. For the price I would absolutely recommend.

solareclisped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2017, 05:48 AM   #36
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

I have a couple of glass cages tanks. One is a refugium and the other is a QT tank. The silicone work in both looks like a newbie made them. They both hold water but have that slapped together look. I would not get a display tank from glass cages but for a what I needed, the price point was good.

Unread 12/16/2017, 10:35 AM   #37
karimwassef
Registered Member

I will say that they've always been very nice to me and a reef friend of mine. The aesthetics of their work can be inconsistent but nothing that I couldn't clean up myself with a razor blade. They've also gotten much better over time. Their price point is so much better and they've been very easy to work with.

Unread 12/30/2017, 11:16 PM   #38
Jefftopgun
Registered Member

So I'm going to jump in here, all what like 5 post of mine.

Today after another wrong shipment from Amazon for my bulkheads putting together my upgraded tank, I gave them a call. Keep in mind, Sat, Dec 30, at around 2, someone answered, and I asked if they had 1.5 inch bulkheads. They did, asked if I showed up in an hour if anyone would be there, again the answer was yes. So I loaded up, and rolled that way (about 40 miles, an hour drive). Guy gave me his cell phone number, said to call when I got there. Pulled up, called him, gave me directions to pull through and where to park. He met me at the truck, bulkheads in hand. Asked me if I knew what they did there, said I knew they built tanks and sold some fish, and asked for a tour. He was glad to give me the tour, and man what a setup. Even at 4pm on a Saturday he had 3-4 people cutting glass and siliconing, 2-3 cleaning his tanks (ok, this guy is a angelfish and cichlid connoisseur I'm talking over 500 tanks on top of like 8 swimming pool). He's got 15 foot tall stands (2 stories worth of displays) and they're linked by the floors you walk on, super neat.
So an hour worth of tour, and I ask if he's got a sump I can pick up off him today. We go through his stock of tanks, settle in on one of his 65 gallon glass tanks. Gives me a price, I text the wife, get the go ahead, but I wanted a seperate compartment for a refugium. He offered a to cut me a divider of whatever height I wanted, and let me silicon it in, or he could do it for me. I chose my size, placement, and opted to have him install it. He grabbed one of his workers, carried the tank in, they cleaned it up, threw the divider in, offered to put an egg crate inlet (raised off the bottom by alternating pieces of 1/2 inch glass on end) and again I let them. So by 5pm on a Saturday, I was driving home.

Guess what I'm getting at here, is I feel like I got pretty good customer service from this guy, (I believe his name was tom, regardless of name he is the owner of glass cages). He wasn't pushy, high pressure, didn't make me feel like I was wasting his time or he needed a decision that instant. He would randomly be like did I show you this yet, or that, took me over so I could watch his guy cut some thick half in and 3/4 inch glass, explained the technique that made it seem very easy. He claims they build over 100 tanks a week, and I believe it.
So onto quality and quality control.
I think one of the biggest things is he makes the tanks, and ships them out, fast... I don't know how the big name tank manufacturers (read his competitors) do it, but from what I gathered today:
1. He's using quality sourced glass (either ppg or vitro by his claim).
2. Glass isn't tempered unless you request it, but that adds time and apparently the rest of RC is a impatient as I am.
3. Will work with you to get you what you want.
4. Seems to be running a pretty successful operation. 100 tanks a week he's been building them for 30 years, and even if he's only been at that number for 5 years, that's what 5000 a year, or 25k tanks. 25 failures in that time would be a 99.9 percent success rate, and we all know that its just as likely to be used error as manufacturing error (this is in general, I'm sure they've messed up too, but everyone does). Biggest difference, his website/communication/tech savyness (read email, internet, ECT) is lacking, but he's in his 70s.

Take away here, if you can drive to dixon Tn, and take the tour, do it. If you're within 4-5 hours and looking for a custom tank, this is who I'd use. No doubt in my mind you could tell him what you want (taped off silicon lines, show quality fit and finish), and you'd get it. Show up, inspect your tank, voice complaints and or concerns, allow them to fix it, and take your tank home.

Sorry for the ramble, just felt like he deserved a good review for once

Jefftopgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 10:11 PM   #39
jjoos99
Registered Member

I know from reading years ago the edges of their glass werent finished out real well. From anyone with a current tank are your tanks edges polished at all? What type of upper and lower trim bracing are they using?
thanks
jeff

jjoos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 09:41 AM   #40
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

I had 2 tanks built by GC last year. I use one as a 30 gal qt and the other as a 30 gal remote refugium. For those purposes I am happy. These are built with their least expensive glass and they have a high iron content. That is apparent by the green tint they give off. So you get what you pay for. I don’t recall anything special about the edges but they are like any other tank. Mine came with bracing along the inside bottom edges.

In the case of a display tank, I would not order one from them without specifing all the extras such as low iron glass. By then you have driven up the price and you might as well get a Reef Savvy or similar.

Unread 03/17/2018, 10:04 AM   #41
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

My next tank will also come from them.

Unread 03/17/2018, 11:25 AM   #42
jjoos99
Registered Member

What do you all feel about the top bracing. Seems like a lot and would it get in the way of blocking some lighting? I'm also looking at custom aquariums.
Jeff

jjoos99 is offline   Reply With Quote