Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2012, 11:18 PM   #3876
TheFishTeen
Registered Member.

Awesome! Looks awesome. I was planning on using the metal wall pipe plates where my piping comes through the wall or a stand but I like the unseal idea! Gives me something to think about. Thanks Brett!

TheFishTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2012, 05:44 AM   #3877
110galreef
Registered Member

Brett. For the bulkhead question. I would use a sch 80 bulkhead so not to worry about it cracking on u down the road. Plus the gaskets are thicker so will take up some more of that gap. Which by the way.is pretty small.

Unread 06/22/2012, 08:19 AM   #3878
110galreef
Registered Member

Oh and the uniseals look slick on the wall!

You just couldn't leave a pefrectly smoth cut hole for the PVC to go thru.......NOOOOO

You need to use a super slick matching black "cinder block material" LOL

Unread 06/22/2012, 09:11 AM   #3879
110galreef
Registered Member

Oh one more point/thought....Is that bulkhead for water going to the stock tank? If so it could be above water line to, and then use the loc line to submerge into the water worst case if you don't think it will seal. Loc line will be liquid tight for you above the water line

Unread 06/22/2012, 12:34 PM   #3880
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishTeen View Post
Awesome! Looks awesome. I was planning on using the metal wall pipe plates where my piping comes through the wall or a stand but I like the unseal idea! Gives me something to think about. Thanks Brett!
Thanks FishTeen. I like the idea of Uniseals because they are rust proof! And you can easily machine them to different pipe sizes to easily be able to slide the pipe through them since it's not a water tight application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110galreef View Post
Brett. For the bulkhead question. I would use a sch 80 bulkhead so not to worry about it cracking on u down the road. Plus the gaskets are thicker so will take up some more of that gap. Which by the way.is pretty small.

Oh and the uniseals look slick on the wall!

You just couldn't leave a pefrectly smoth cut hole for the PVC to go thru.......NOOOOO

You need to use a super slick matching black "cinder block material" LOL

Oh one more point/thought....Is that bulkhead for water going to the stock tank? If so it could be above water line to, and then use the loc line to submerge into the water worst case if you don't think it will seal. Loc line will be liquid tight for you above the water line

Good thoughts on the Sched 80 bulkhead. I thought about that but cant find one that's slip on the back side and threads on the flange. That would make my transitions so much easier to deal with if they made one like that. With Sched 80 bulkheads do you always have to add a male threaded adapter to transition to pipe? Basically I would need to transition from 3/4" FPT on the bulkhead to 1" flex pvc that is coming from the return pump....

You know me, a simple hole in the drywall would be unacceptable!

Yes, the 3/4" bulkhead will be feeding the stock tank from the return pump. With where I plumbed the drains, using the upturned elbows, the bulkhead will be right at the water line. So I'm guessing partially submerged unless I cut some slots into the upturned elbows (which I still might do) or just cut them down a little.

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2012, 07:37 AM   #3881
110galreef
Registered Member

Here is what you need:

1" slip x 3/4" MPT

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/vassall...ng-340905.html

lowes should have them too.

or just flip the bulkhead around. Just keep the gasket on the flange side. bulkhead work backwards too.

Unread 06/23/2012, 12:57 PM   #3882
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Here is what you need:

1" slip x 3/4" MPT

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/vassall...ng-340905.html

lowes should have them too.

or just flip the bulkhead around. Just keep the gasket on the flange side. bulkhead work backwards too.
Cool, thanks! I figured I could also just go with a 1" bulkhead and use a Sched 80 reducer bushing on the flange side to adapt to the Loc-Line adapter. I was just trying to stay with the smallest bulkhead since the side is rounded. The larger the bulkhead the more gap there will be.

Unread 06/25/2012, 04:44 PM   #3883
tdykes3256
Registered Member

This is a amazing build.

Current Tank Info: 210 Reef Tank Build Hawaiian Biotope
tdykes3256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2012, 10:49 PM   #3884
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdykes3256 View Post
This is a amazing build.

Thanks tdykes.

Unread 06/27/2012, 10:55 PM   #3885
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

Hey guys! Been really busy the past few days but was able to sneak in a couple hours tonight, so I moved forward plumbing the stock tank. I was able to finish the hard part which was plumbing the long run behind the wall of the sump room. I still need to add some bracing and support brackets to secure the pipes to the wall but this section is basically done. All that's left is to plumb the short run that will drain into the sump and finish the feed side plumbing (and vacuum up my mess ). Here's the latest pics...

Fuge Side Unions

Sump Side Unions

Last edited by Misled; 04/09/2018 at 07:10 PM.
Unread 06/27/2012, 11:03 PM   #3886
psteeleb
Registered Member

awesome job - cna't wait to see it up and running
when your ready let me know and I'll send you a bag of macro, pods brittles etc

Current Tank Info: 110g Mixed Reef, LED's & T5's
psteeleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2012, 11:37 PM   #3887
Reefahholic
Moved On

Lookin' good brother!

Reefahholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2012, 12:46 AM   #3888
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psteeleb View Post
awesome job - cna't wait to see it up and running
when your ready let me know and I'll send you a bag of macro, pods brittles etc
You are the man!! I'll definitely be hitting you up after I get some rock in there. Thanks Pete!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefahholic View Post
Lookin' good brother!
Thank you Jared.

Unread 06/29/2012, 12:59 AM   #3889
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

I was able to get a couple more projects done on the fuge build tonight.

Finished securing the pipes to the wall. I had to cut furring strips to fit in between the studs and pipe since the pipe doesn't sit flush to the 2x4's. Then I used standard J-Hooks to secure the pipe to the wall.

I also finished the final runs where the drains will terminate back in the sump. I will just friction fit the 2 down pipes so I can play around with different depths and fitting combinations. That way I can dial in the flow with the least amount of bubbles. Here's the whole enchilada.

Last edited by Misled; 04/09/2018 at 07:11 PM.
Unread 06/29/2012, 05:10 AM   #3890
Reefahholic
Moved On

Very nice!

Reefahholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2012, 07:44 AM   #3891
110galreef
Registered Member

Such a sexy setup! looking good.

Hey are you back to radiums or still have the phoenix 14k's?

Unread 06/29/2012, 08:50 AM   #3892
cromedogg33
Registered Member

Brett,

Had you thought about running those drain pipes to the other side of your sump? I know that sounds stupid, but I imagine you are going to get quite a bit of micro bubbles in any case being so close to the intake of your return pump.

I know the initial thought was that they would drain slow enough, but I don't think it's going to matter. Then again you propably not done inventing some bubble blasting amazingness.

Current Tank Info: 180G in-wall, 3x 250w MH radiums on M80 ballasts, Cree LED actinics, Deltec TC2560, Bubble Magus Doser, 4x Vortech Mp40, Dart return, Neptune Apex
cromedogg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2012, 11:50 AM   #3893
Pcrain
Registered Member

very clean I love your attention to detail!

Current Tank Info: 90g reef 25g sump/fuge
Pcrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2012, 09:05 PM   #3894
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefahholic View Post
Very nice!
Thank you.

Quote:
Such a sexy setup! looking good.

Hey are you back to radiums or still have the phoenix 14k's?
Thanks 110g. I switched back to Radiums a couple months ago. Seem to be doing fine, haven't noticed a significant difference in growth rates etc... Overall color of the tank is pleasing to my eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromedogg33 View Post
Brett,

Had you thought about running those drain pipes to the other side of your sump? I know that sounds stupid, but I imagine you are going to get quite a bit of micro bubbles in any case being so close to the intake of your return pump.

I know the initial thought was that they would drain slow enough, but I don't think it's going to matter. Then again you propably not done inventing some bubble blasting amazingness.
Ha! I did consider running the drains to the skimmer section but with how tight the space is around the manifold I wasn't able to squeeze the pipes behind it - though I did try. I didn't want to run in front just to save room for my reactors and such. And the feed/drain plumbing from the display pretty much takes up all the space directly under the stand. It will take some time to dial it in but I have some ideas to cut down on bubbles just in case. We shall see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcrain View Post
very clean I love your attention to detail!
Thank you Pcrain.

Unread 07/01/2012, 09:20 PM   #3895
drummereef
Team RC Member

Got a question guys... I'm on the fence how I should plumb the feed side of the fuge tank. Below are 2 options that I'm considering. Here's a pic and explanation. Let me know what you think would be best!

Option #1
The feed bulkhead would be on the left side of the fuge tank. This would be the most direct route from the TEE off the return pump, which you can see on the left in the pic below. I would use flex pvc to run directly from the TEE up to the bulkhead. The downside, is there's more plumbing "in" the room to work/clean around as the short piece of flex pvc wouldn't be attached to the wall. Just a short run from the TEE that curves up to the bulkhead. I initially thought there would be some issue with the flow from the feed pointing directly towards the drains but with only 300gph or so I don't think it will make that much difference.

Option #2
The feed bulkhead would be just above the two drains and centered between them. The advantage here would be a completely flat surface for the bulkhead to seat (but I don't think Option #1 will be much of an issue there). However, I would have to plumb through the wall as there isn't enough room to elbow back to the return pump within the room. So, the feed from the TEE on the return pump would have to go through the wall, around the back of the wall, then back into the sump room to the bulkhead between the drains. The advantage here is less plumbing in the room which might make for a cleaner look.

Thoughts??

Here's the feed bulkhead setup just to give you an idea of what I'm looking at.

Last edited by Misled; 04/09/2018 at 07:11 PM.
Unread 07/01/2012, 09:31 PM   #3896
TheFishTeen
Registered Member.

I would pick option 2, as long you don't mind the extra work.

TheFishTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2012, 09:51 PM   #3897
psteeleb
Registered Member

^ +1

umm 2 that is

Current Tank Info: 110g Mixed Reef, LED's & T5's
psteeleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2012, 07:06 AM   #3898
crvz
Team RC Member

Option 2, because I've seen the rest of this thread, and I know you don't "mind" the work.

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
crvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2012, 08:32 AM   #3899
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crvz View Post
Option 2, because I've seen the rest of this thread, and I know you don't "mind" the work.
LOL So true.

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2012, 01:01 PM   #3900
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishTeen View Post
I would pick option 2, as long you don't mind the extra work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psteeleb View Post
^ +1

umm 2 that is
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iced98lx View Post
LOL So true.

Hahahahahaha. How did I know you guys were going to say Option 2! It's actually not that much to it, just have to make sure I can get a 3/4" union in between the two 1.5" drain unions to make it work. I scoped it out a little last night and think it's doable. It will definitely look better overall for sure.

One more question... Do you think 1" pipe is plenty to run from the return pump TEE to the bulkhead in the fuge? There will be a couple fittings along the way but the total run will only be like 3-4 feet max. I hesitate to go larger because of how tight the plumbing will be going bigger than 1". Thoughts??