Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/19/2013, 10:13 AM   #1
cklayko
Registered Member

Pump Recommendation

I need 2 pumps for my new system.

The first pump will power my genesis auto water change system. It will need to push a minimum of 1 gallon of water per minute thru 1/2" tubing 40 ft total with 10 ft of vertical climb. If I use a submersible pump the there will be two 90degree elbows at the top of brute trash can, but no others after that. If I use an external pump there will be no 90 degree elbows. I prefer submersible for ease of maintenance (moving the trash cans to clean) but open to options

The second pump will power the Genesis ATO system, it too will need to travel 40ft thru 1/2" tubing but only 5 feet of vertical climb. There is no prerequisite on how fast this needs to pump. So slow and steady is fine.

It goes without saying, reliability is clutch.

Look forward to any guidance - Thanks!!!

cklayko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Reefmedic79
Life and Reef Saver

If your looking for reliability then a Mag Drive is the way to go.

According to the head loss calculator if there are no turns in the top-off line a Mag 3 will give you close to 170gph using 3/4" pipe. (It doesn't calculate .5")

A Mag 7 should do for the water change system at 118gph with 3/4" pipe.

How much deeper would the ocean be if it didn't have sponges?
P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way Sid

Current Tank Info: 40 Breeder, 20L Sump, 10G Fuge, JBJ A.T.O, 4" Reef Octopus, DIY Stand & Canopy, RapidLED Dimmable 36 Kit on 3 6" MakersLED Heatsink, MP10es
Reefmedic79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2013, 11:06 PM   #3
cklayko
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback, I agree with MAG pump recommendation, but others are telling me I need a pump in the 2000g/hr range.. Sounds like overkill but I'd hate to buy a brand new pump to find out it doesn't have enough power to make the necessary volume.

cklayko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2013, 11:16 PM   #4
Sn8kbyt
Registered Member

I agree with ReefMedic those should be sufficient.

Current Tank Info: 220 Gallon, 29 Gallon, 2-20L QT, and a 20 gallon tall octogon tank waiting to be setup for a seahorse tank.
Sn8kbyt is offline   Reply With Quote