Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/07/2009, 10:25 AM   #51
HOBrien
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo~
nothing wrong with it. I am just not a aqua euro fan. THeir are better bang for the buck skimmers out there. Its pretty old school design compared to whats available now days. I would get a nicer skimmer even if its used.
The only reason I ask is I am waiting on a response back to a $125 for the aqua euro 250. I just dont want to drain all of my excess money just incase I have to get something else when I get the new tank in the house is all.

Current Tank Info: Have a Neo Nano just set up.
HOBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2009, 10:32 AM   #52
HOBrien
Registered Member

Quote:
nothing wrong with it. I am just not a aqua euro fan. THeir are better bang for the buck skimmers out there. Its pretty old school design compared to whats available now days. I would get a nicer skimmer even if its used.
Would a Sump Buddy 40 be enough for a heavly stocked 200? They rate it at 180 but I am only FOWLR

Unread 03/09/2009, 07:48 PM   #53
Dalmerjd
Premium Member

Hi Folks!
I need a new skimmer though I'm new to reef keeping I need some advice. There are so many to choose from I am overwhelmed. I am also learning that a rating versus an actual volume capability varies greatly.
My current system has a total volume of 580 gallons in three tanks. All three tanks are mixed reef with light to moderate bio load leaving room for growth.
I am currently running an undersized Coralife 220. How do I tell it is not doing a good enough job?
I would love some advice and suggestions which skimmers have a good track record and are big enough for my system.
Thanks in advance.

Dalmerjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2009, 10:19 PM   #54
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBrien
Would a Sump Buddy 40 be enough for a heavly stocked 200? They rate it at 180 but I am only FOWLR
I would say no. You would want to go to the SB 60 if that is the way your wanted to go. A warner Marine as 200 would work well too.

mojo~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2009, 10:26 PM   #55
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalmerjd
Hi Folks!
I need a new skimmer though I'm new to reef keeping I need some advice. There are so many to choose from I am overwhelmed. I am also learning that a rating versus an actual volume capability varies greatly.
My current system has a total volume of 580 gallons in three tanks. All three tanks are mixed reef with light to moderate bio load leaving room for growth.
I am currently running an undersized Coralife 220. How do I tell it is not doing a good enough job?
I would love some advice and suggestions which skimmers have a good track record and are big enough for my system.
Thanks in advance.
There is no way that your coralife 220 is enough skimmer for 580 gallons. You have a pretty large sytem. I would actually go with a Bermuda BPS 8C or a hurricone CAT 2. Those would be pretty good skimmers for your system. What you have now is way undersized for 580 gallons of anything in my opinion. Hope this helps. Mojo~

Unread 03/10/2009, 10:36 AM   #56
HOBrien
Registered Member

Quote:
I would say no. You would want to go to the SB 60 if that is the way your wanted to go. A warner Marine as 200 would work well too.
How quite are the Sump Buddy's?

Unread 03/10/2009, 11:41 AM   #57
acliao
Registered Member

HI Mojo,

I would like to thank you for starting this wonderful Q&A thread and the comprehensive reviews on various skimmers. Great work!!!

I am in the process of upgrading my tank to 120G and am deciding between the Octo/MSX 200 and Vertex IN-180. the Octo/MSX200 has better pump but Vertex seems to have better reaction chamber design. Both units are similarly priced. Can you provide your recommendations on these units?

thanks again for the great info.

acliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2009, 11:56 AM   #58
PowermanKW
Registered Member

I was wondering if you could throw in your .02 on what I poted in another thread. I did read you write up on the 160.

I have the EV-120 on my 90g reef now that is normally stocked. May be heavily in the future depending on skimmer. I bought a PM Bullet 1 and a Mag12. I'm waiting for that one to get here. It's over seas.

So, now I have a line on a BK mini 160 right here local. It is only 8 months old. He went to the Gen II 180. He wants $550.

I know the PM1 will be better than my EV-120. Still excited to get it. However, the BK is at a good price and lightly used. I would never drop the cash for a new one. Of course, for both these I am taking off the money I expect to get from my 120/mag7.

The same guy also has a ER RS 180. He used that one for a year and a half. It includes the SP4 pump, as well as the SP5, and the gate valve mod. He wants $300 for that.

I can always turn around and sell the Bullet1/12 when it comes in.

Any input on the differences would be most appreciated. I'm not very knowledgeable on the ER and BK. Heck the Bullet 1 is new to me.

PowermanKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2009, 02:38 PM   #59
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by acliao
HI Mojo,

I would like to thank you for starting this wonderful Q&A thread and the comprehensive reviews on various skimmers. Great work!!!

I am in the process of upgrading my tank to 120G and am deciding between the Octo/MSX 200 and Vertex IN-180. the Octo/MSX200 has better pump but Vertex seems to have better reaction chamber design. Both units are similarly priced. Can you provide your recommendations on these units?

thanks again for the great info.
The MSX 200 would be a good choice. The vertex isnt a bad skimmer by any means but there are a lot more parts out there for the sicce pump. Several pinwheels and mesh mods too. I would get the msx 200 over the vertex. But they are both good skimmers but for the same $$$ you get a better pump...

Unread 03/10/2009, 02:41 PM   #60
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by PowermanKW
I was wondering if you could throw in your .02 on what I poted in another thread. I did read you write up on the 160.

I have the EV-120 on my 90g reef now that is normally stocked. May be heavily in the future depending on skimmer. I bought a PM Bullet 1 and a Mag12. I'm waiting for that one to get here. It's over seas.

So, now I have a line on a BK mini 160 right here local. It is only 8 months old. He went to the Gen II 180. He wants $550.

I know the PM1 will be better than my EV-120. Still excited to get it. However, the BK is at a good price and lightly used. I would never drop the cash for a new one. Of course, for both these I am taking off the money I expect to get from my 120/mag7.

The same guy also has a ER RS 180. He used that one for a year and a half. It includes the SP4 pump, as well as the SP5, and the gate valve mod. He wants $300 for that.

I can always turn around and sell the Bullet1/12 when it comes in.

Any input on the differences would be most appreciated. I'm not very knowledgeable on the ER and BK. Heck the Bullet 1 is new to me.
Hands down the Bk 160. All the others are great units. But the Bubble king 160 is so quiet and smooth. Built like a tank and I love everything about the bubbleking. I miss mine to be honest. I cant wait to get the Vertex/BK alpha Cone skimmer here in another couple weeks. The pm skimmer will be a little louder and cycle more water. Great skimmers...just not the same as a BK in my opinion.

Unread 03/10/2009, 04:37 PM   #61
PowermanKW
Registered Member

Quote:
Hands down the Bk 160. All the others are great units. But the Bubble king 160 is so quiet and smooth. Built like a tank and I love everything about the bubbleking. I miss mine to be honest. I cant wait to get the Vertex/BK alpha Cone skimmer here in another couple weeks. The pm skimmer will be a little louder and cycle more water. Great skimmers...just not the same as a BK in my opinion.
Thanks for your input. I'm going over tomorrow to buy his Tunze osmolator. Who knows what else I'll walk away with. I would not be considering such a prices expenditure right now, but come on $550 for almost new. Very tempting.

I know the Bullets are good and I will be happy. However, I'm looking at around $350 for an upgrade to a BK 160 after I sell my other stuff. Hard to pass up.

Question The ever popular capacity question. How do you think it would do on a heavily stocked 90g? Mine isn't heavily stocked now, just asking.

Unread 03/10/2009, 05:18 PM   #62
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

The 160 will be just fine. No worries at all with your tank size. Even heavily stocked.

Unread 03/10/2009, 05:21 PM   #63
HOBrien
Registered Member

Why is there a height difference between the SWC Extreme 250 and the MSX Extreme 250 of 1"?

Unread 03/11/2009, 04:33 PM   #64
PowermanKW
Registered Member

Quote:
The 160 will be just fine. No worries at all with your tank size. Even heavily stocked.
I walked away with the 160. Quite impressive in person. Don't know if it's necessary, but it is impressive. Can't wait to set it up.

Unread 03/11/2009, 05:09 PM   #65
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

i miss the one I had already.

Unread 03/11/2009, 08:18 PM   #66
Tracey2
Registered Member

Can anyone tell me if a Tunze 9010 will work on a 150 gallonDT, 40g sump and 20g fuge?

Tracey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2009, 09:34 PM   #67
PermaNoob
Registered Member

Any recommendations for our setup? We're setting up a used 120g that will be a mixed reef. I was thinking maybe something like an MSX200. Skimmers more than any other piece of equipment just seem to overwhelm me with the selections. I'd like to set this up as internal and need to keep the noise to the lowest level possible while doing a brilliant job of skimming. Thank you.

PermaNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2009, 10:33 PM   #68
coopdogyo
Registered Member

Hey i was wondering if you can tell me what is wrong with my skimmer. I have a 72 gallon bowfront that i am cycleing. i have a reef devil skimmer with a mag 7 pump and 6 bioballs in it. it has been running for about 5 weeks now and i still can't get the skimmate dialed in. I either get to much to the point where it overflows the skimmer cup of it never gets out of the tube. I have a ball valve on the skimmer but it seems that even just half a turn is enough to over flow the skimmer.

Current Tank Info: getting a 72 gallon reef
coopdogyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2009, 10:35 PM   #69
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Tracey2
Can anyone tell me if a Tunze 9010 will work on a 150 gallonDT, 40g sump and 20g fuge?
I think it will work ok. Not really my top choice but if it is what you want I think it will work just fine.

Unread 03/11/2009, 10:39 PM   #70
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by PermaNoob
Any recommendations for our setup? We're setting up a used 120g that will be a mixed reef. I was thinking maybe something like an MSX200. Skimmers more than any other piece of equipment just seem to overwhelm me with the selections. I'd like to set this up as internal and need to keep the noise to the lowest level possible while doing a brilliant job of skimming. Thank you.
The msx 200 would work just fine. Very nice skimmer I would say that the msx 200 or the warner marine as 200 would be what you want to be looking at. Unless you want to spend a little more and Get a Cone skimmer .... but you are looking at more $$$ if you want the least amount of hassle with the msx and pull a good amount of air get the msx200 and go to reefspecialty and get the atb pinwheel. It pulls more air than the stock one and no mesh to worry about.

Unread 03/11/2009, 10:42 PM   #71
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by coopdogyo
Hey i was wondering if you can tell me what is wrong with my skimmer. I have a 72 gallon bowfront that i am cycleing. i have a reef devil skimmer with a mag 7 pump and 6 bioballs in it. it has been running for about 5 weeks now and i still can't get the skimmate dialed in. I either get to much to the point where it overflows the skimmer cup of it never gets out of the tube. I have a ball valve on the skimmer but it seems that even just half a turn is enough to over flow the skimmer.
The downdraft skimmers from etss work very well but how is the water level it is in? Is a constant level. If it fluctuates the skimmer will overflow. adjust it so the bubbles are breaking about 1/3 the way up the cup and let it run for a while. see what that does and let me know. Mojo~

Unread 03/12/2009, 12:39 AM   #72
paper clip
Registered Member

hello, I currently have a BK, mini 200. My tank total volume will be around 300 with around 150 in the display. My sump is in the basement so noise is not an issue if i were to change skimmers. I plan on running a mixed reef sps, lps, and a few select softies. Do you think the BK can keep up or should i go for a larger skimmer?

Thanks

Current Tank Info: 2x 28g nano cubes
paper clip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2009, 12:56 AM   #73
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

I think the 200 is a great skimmer but I dont think it moves enough water volume to be sufficient for your sytstem. Check into the new alpha 250 cone from royal exclusive or maybe the super marin 250 or 300

Unread 03/12/2009, 04:45 AM   #74
brando07
Registered Member

ASM G3

I HAVE AN ASM G3 SKIMMER IN A 30 GAL ACRYLIC SUMP ON A 120gal TNK, IN THE 2 WEEKS MY COLLECTION IS STILL ONLY 1/2 FULL. I WENT FROM EMPTING A FULL DARK BROWN ALMOST BLACK COLLECTION CUP EVERY WEEK TO ONLY A 1/2 CUP IN 2 WEEKS. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY POINTERS OR IDEAS, IF SO CAN YOU EITHER REPLY HERE OR PM ME. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

brando07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2009, 05:10 AM   #75
ReefKeeperRob
Registered Member

mojo - I have an octo extreme 200. The sicce pump is obnoxious. I had coralvue send me a new impeller because my LFS tells me the magnets can occasionally be out of balance. This did not help. It doesn't matter if I run mesh or pinwheel.

I really just don't want to deal with the sicce pumps at this point. Can you recommend another pump. It doesn't necessarily have to be plug and play, I can fab something up. Something silent that pulls between 35-60 scfh.

thanks

ReefKeeperRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atb, nw150b protein skimmer, vertex