Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/12/2018, 06:30 AM   #1
4nReefer
Registered Member

Going T5

So I just got this T5 lights lights for plants but also switched 5 of the 8 bulbs to ATI bulbs. It's amazing, super bright, 6500k I haven't gotten corals yet. I'm still getting the tank ready for corals. I still need a calcium reactor and every other thing but the light seem really great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4nReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 08:53 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Nice.. What "brand" light is that?
Seems like someone couldn't wait to open their presents on Christmas..

It will likely be quite a while before you need a calcium reactor though unless you are just going to drop a fortune on a bunch of corals to fill up the tank faster..

Unread 12/12/2018, 09:25 AM   #3
Daddi0
Registered Member

I tried to run a t5 fixture designed for plants (thought I would save a couple bucks) The problem I had was that there was no protection for the bulb sockets. As the reef would evaporate, the hood would catch the moisture and it would condense on the bulb sockets and short out the ballast. After replacing 3 ballasts in 4 months, I swapped over to a MarsAqua LED fixture.
Cheers! Mark

Unread 12/12/2018, 11:46 AM   #4
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

Back in the olden T8 days I used pvc waterproof sockets. Amazon has T5 sockets for $10 a pair, but they might not fit that fixture. https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-T5.../dp/B00OVY3IA0

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 11:55 AM   #5
4nReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Nice.. What "brand" light is that?
Seems like someone couldn't wait to open their presents on Christmas..

It will likely be quite a while before you need a calcium reactor though unless you are just going to drop a fortune on a bunch of corals to fill up the tank faster..
Hydroplanet T5 4ft 8lamp Fluorescent Ho Bulbs Included for Indoor Horticulture Gardening T5 Grow Lights Fixtures (8 Lamp, 4ft)

Yes!!! Lol ther fishes were getting impatient and so were we so...

I'm still trying to understand how calcium reactors work and all the other equipment. I understand I need patience in this hobby so I'm taking it slow but I wanna make sure when the corals start coming in.

Unread 12/12/2018, 11:59 AM   #6
4nReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddi0 View Post
I tried to run a t5 fixture designed for plants (thought I would save a couple bucks) The problem I had was that there was no protection for the bulb sockets. As the reef would evaporate, the hood would catch the moisture and it would condense on the bulb sockets and short out the ballast. After replacing 3 ballasts in 4 months, I swapped over to a MarsAqua LED fixture.
Cheers! Mark
Yeah I thought about that so I got a lid for the lights to prevent that.

Unread 12/12/2018, 12:07 PM   #7
4nReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Guthrie View Post
Back in the olden T8 days I used pvc waterproof sockets. Amazon has T5 sockets for $10 a pair, but they might not fit that fixture. https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-T5.../dp/B00OVY3IA0
Yeah I got a lid I could use to prevent that.

Unread 12/12/2018, 07:38 PM   #8
candymancan
Registered Member.

Looks identical to the light i got.. its one of those plant grow chinese fixtures for hydroponics... I got the 24 inch 4 bukb version fir my jexagon.. I put in 2 blue plus. 1 corak plus and 1 purple plus and it an amazing ligjt fixture.. I havent had any issues and the ballast doesnt get hot at all. Light bulbs are 90-110f so they arent overheating either.

Onky issue is water splashing does get in it.. its unavoidable... but with a soft rag.. fresh water and dabbing.. it cleans right up.

I think i spent like 70$ on the fixture... It came with 5 6500k bulbs as well.. Which are perfect for fresh water tanks.

My corals love it...

candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2018, 07:41 PM   #9
candymancan
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddi0 View Post
Cheers! Mark
You musta been unlucky.. ive had open t5 fixtures 4 inchs from my water and never had that issue

candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2018, 02:49 PM   #10
sh0tyme83
Registered Member

You don't need a calcium reactor for awhile. You can achieve what calcium reactors due in the short term by water changes and then eventually dosing calc and alk. Don't wait on corals in fear of needing a calcium reactor.

sh0tyme83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2018, 03:28 PM   #11
4nReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candymancan View Post
Looks identical to the light i got.. its one of those plant grow chinese fixtures for hydroponics... I got the 24 inch 4 bukb version fir my jexagon.. I put in 2 blue plus. 1 corak plus and 1 purple plus and it an amazing ligjt fixture.. I havent had any issues and the ballast doesnt get hot at all. Light bulbs are 90-110f so they arent overheating either.

Onky issue is water splashing does get in it.. its unavoidable... but with a soft rag.. fresh water and dabbing.. it cleans right up.

I think i spent like 70$ on the fixture... It came with 5 6500k bulbs as well.. Which are perfect for fresh water tanks.

My corals love it...
Thank you so much...I just mounted it and everything started to come into play, the water splashing, evaporation, I was a bit worried but you set me straight. I really think the corals would love it.

Unread 12/13/2018, 03:42 PM   #12
4nReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0tyme83 View Post
You don't need a calcium reactor for awhile. You can achieve what calcium reactors due in the short term by water changes and then eventually dosing calc and alk. Don't wait on corals in fear of needing a calcium reactor.
Wow I didn't know that, I'm scared though cos all I have is a hob protein skimmer, and I just took down my canister cos I've been battling with nitrate for a while now. I do weekly water changes with ro/di and a mechanical filter. I'll be building a sump/refugium too to go with that, but looking up other reviews and researches makes it look like I basically have nothing yet.... I do care a lot about my animals so I wanna get them the best environment possible until of course I get better.

Unread 12/13/2018, 04:06 PM   #13
sh0tyme83
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nReefer View Post
Wow I didn't know that, I'm scared though cos all I have is a hob protein skimmer, and I just took down my canister cos I've been battling with nitrate for a while now. I do weekly water changes with ro/di and a mechanical filter. I'll be building a sump/refugium too to go with that, but looking up other reviews and researches makes it look like I basically have nothing yet.... I do care a lot about my animals so I wanna get them the best environment possible until of course I get better.

That's why you start with soft corals. Soft corals only require light. Easy.. Then LPS. Those require light, and a bit of calc and alk. Then when you get into SPS is when all the special equipment is needed and even then, you don't need a calcium reactor til you have a tank full of SPS. So start small and get a few zoa frags and maybe a few mushrooms. A canister or a HOB protein skimmer is all that's needed.

sh0tyme83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2018, 04:10 PM   #14
mattgumaer
Registered Member

This may or may not be off topic but, in terms of providing sufficient calcium and alkalinity to the tank, many people take the following path:

1) first, just water changes are used; I would not suggest moving on from this approach until test results show your alk/calc and possibly mag are regularly getting low;

2) many people next move to kalkwasser (pickling lime) and put some in their ato water or dose by separate means. A lot of people stop right here and have amazing tanks;

3) dosing two part (one solution to supply alk, one to supply calc) with two dosing pumps, often programmed to provide many small doses of each throughout the day/night (some people dose their alk at night to keep their ph up overnight); and, finally,

4) a calcium reactor, which many people never use but, some do, often with great success. I've not used one myself, so I can't speak from personal experience. My general understanding is that they're relatively complex/expensive compared to other options but, once you get the equipment and get things dialed in, they can keep your parameters very stable for very long periods of time.

I'd suggest starting simple and adding things if/when needed, although I do think there is a huge benefit to having a sump and protein skimmer right out of the gate. Good luck and have fun.

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2018, 04:15 PM   #15
4nReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0tyme83 View Post
That's why you start with soft corals. Soft corals only require light. Easy.. Then LPS. Those require light, and a bit of calc and alk. Then when you get into SPS is when all the special equipment is needed and even then, you don't need a calcium reactor til you have a tank full of SPS. So start small and get a few zoa frags and maybe a few mushrooms. A canister or a HOB protein skimmer is all that's needed.
Omg... mind blown I'm gonna have to change some mind set and go with that... thank you so much, i'll most absolutely be going in that direction. Thank you so much

Unread 12/13/2018, 04:28 PM   #16
4nReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgumaer View Post
This may or may not be off topic but, in terms of providing sufficient calcium and alkalinity to the tank, many people take the following path:

1) first, just water changes are used; I would not suggest moving on from this approach until test results show your alk/calc and possibly mag are regularly getting low;

2) many people next move to kalkwasser (pickling lime) and put some in their ato water or dose by separate means. A lot of people stop right here and have amazing tanks;

3) dosing two part (one solution to supply alk, one to supply calc) with two dosing pumps, often programmed to provide many small doses of each throughout the day/night (some people dose their alk at night to keep their ph up overnight); and, finally,

4) a calcium reactor, which many people never use but, some do, often with great success. I've not used one myself, so I can't speak from personal experience. My general understanding is that they're relatively complex/expensive compared to other options but, once you get the equipment and get things dialed in, they can keep your parameters very stable for very long periods of time.

I'd suggest starting simple and adding things if/when needed, although I do think there is a huge benefit to having a sump and protein skimmer right out of the gate. Good luck and have fun.

Matt
It was definitely on topic Matt, thank you so much. It's such an amazing feel and a great relief to know that I can actually start adding corals. I'll be getting equipments as needed as you've suggested. This was most helpful...