Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/28/2013, 01:37 AM   #1
Deadcalm
Registered Member

Calling all Led T5 hybrid experts

I'm looking for advise from fellow reefers that have added Led's to their t5 setups. I
love my T5's but I'm just looking for that extra florescence pop and shimmer from Led's.

I'm currently running an ATI 8 bulb fixture with the following bulbs:

Blue+
Coral+
Blue+
Purple+
Blue+
Coral+
Blue+

I like this look and want the LED's to compliment it. How many and what color combination would give me good color and shimmer on my sand bed?

Rapid led recommended using 18 LEDs 10-11 royal blue and 7-8 cool white. Would this give me what I'm looking for?

Deadcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Deadcalm
Registered Member

Ok so maybe experts don't exist yet.

Does anyone have an opinion?

Unread 06/28/2013, 11:34 AM   #3
v10king
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadcalm View Post
I'm looking for advise from fellow reefers that have added Led's to their t5 setups. I
love my T5's but I'm just looking for that extra florescence pop and shimmer from Led's.

I'm currently running an ATI 8 bulb fixture with the following bulbs:

Blue+
Coral+
Blue+
Purple+
Blue+
Coral+
Blue+

I like this look and want the LED's to compliment it. How many and what color combination would give me good color and shimmer on my sand bed?

Rapid led recommended using 18 LEDs 10-11 royal blue and 7-8 cool white. Would this give me what I'm looking for?
I think you would be happy with that, you can tune them with two channels to your taste.

v10king is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2013, 01:01 PM   #4
Deadcalm
Registered Member

Yeah I was planning on running them on a dimmer to ramp up slow and also to be able to tweak them to get the look I want.

Would I need to use optics to get the shimmer or could I go without them?

Unread 06/28/2013, 05:56 PM   #5
outssider
Registered Member

If you want shimmer, i'd go with optics. The led's already have to overcome 8 t-5's.

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2013, 06:14 PM   #6
greech
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outssider View Post
If you want shimmer, i'd go with optics. The led's already have to overcome 8 t-5's.
+1. I have a 4 bulb over a shallow breeder and have 12 Cree Royal blues without optics (non-dimmable). If the T5s are on, the LEDs do make a difference but not so much shimmer. More bright and crisp but not much shimmer. I see a little shimmer on the glass but pretty much none on the sandbed.

Current Tank Info: Tank: 40 breeder; 20H sump w/SWC 120; Sicce 3.0 return; Vortech MP-10; Sundial T5, DIY Actinic LED (3W Cree). Livestock: Pair of Black & Whites; Midas Blenny; Firefish; Yasha/pistol; Black Leopard Wrasse; LPS and SPS
greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Deadcalm
Registered Member

Thanks everyone that helps.

What lenses would you use then 60-80? The lights will be mounted 8 inches above the water.

Do the white LEDs add more shimmer then the blues?

Would it be better to go with more of a mix of colors then just rb and cw? Maybe go rb, b,cw and nw?

Unread 06/28/2013, 08:06 PM   #8
greech
Registered Member

I probably should have asked how deep your tank is for recommending optics. You will most likely want 80+ degree optics if the tank is less that 24" tall. I assume your considering a 36" heatsink/strip?

You can always try no optics and then add them later.

Yes, whiter LEDs will produce more shimmer but it depends on the color you are looking for as well. I like my 100% royal blue for the morning and evening hours.

Current Tank Info: Tank: 40 breeder; 20H sump w/SWC 120; Sicce 3.0 return; Vortech MP-10; Sundial T5, DIY Actinic LED (3W Cree). Livestock: Pair of Black & Whites; Midas Blenny; Firefish; Yasha/pistol; Black Leopard Wrasse; LPS and SPS
greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2013, 12:32 PM   #9
Deadcalm
Registered Member

I can't decide between cool whites and neutral whites. I'm mixing them with royal blues 2:1 ratio. Is the red in the neutral whites overpowering when mixed with purple+ and coral+ ?