Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/25/2010, 08:49 PM   #1
pcofdareef
Registered Member

DIY Experts... Help needed Electronic CO2 regulator parts id

As the title says, I am looking to build my own electronic CO2 regulator/bubblecounter. I recently have been searching for a better, more accurate solution for my calcium reactor. I frequently am out of town for 1-2 weeks at a time and need a consistant and stable solution to dosing CO2 to my reactor.
While searching the web for options I came accross the following pic of a so caled "best co2 regulator in the world". i had been reading up on this product and have heard numerous positive reviews so I was initially going to spend the $185 on this item until I seen this pic.

It seems like it would only cost <$50 to DIY and consists of a project box, timer circuit, selenoid, pot, and led. This is where I need your help. i would like to ID the components that are seen in the pic and possibly where I can source these parts. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated....

pcofdareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2010, 05:53 AM   #2
Bryan
Registered Member

The discrete electronic components are easy to source, it's the electronics regulator that controls the gas flow that's the problem. What type is it?

Would love to do the same, just a matter of finding out what that electronic gas regualtor is??

Current Tank Info: 10g nano reef
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2010, 07:56 AM   #3
pcofdareef
Registered Member

Over the last few days I have been doing alot of research.... The timer circuit looks to be a Precision timer Co. M605R and the electronic valve with the yellow top seems to be a Clippard EV-2 micro valve. Both of these parts can be sourced for under $40 and are the main two components of the electronic unit. Am not sure that these are the exact model numbers but are the closest I could find by just searching images on the net then digging down on the details.

Last edited by pcofdareef; 06/27/2010 at 08:47 AM.
Unread 06/27/2010, 10:59 AM   #4
therman
biodiversity enthusiast

I just bought one of those. When you factor in the cost of the regulator, check valve, enclosures, time, fittings, etc., do you think it will be a cost effective DIY?

therman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2010, 03:41 PM   #5
Bryan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcofdareef View Post
Over the last few days I have been doing alot of research.... The timer circuit looks to be a Precision timer Co. M605R and the electronic valve with the yellow top seems to be a Clippard EV-2 micro valve. Both of these parts can be sourced for under $40 and are the main two components of the electronic unit. Am not sure that these are the exact model numbers but are the closest I could find by just searching images on the net then digging down on the details.
Good work pcofdareef. If you are handy with electronics, you don't need the M605R, you could roll out your own with a 555 timer to control the valve. Here is a link to all the various EV-2 microvalves from a online catalog. Any idea what the last couple digits on the valve are. I suspect it's a 12vdc valve.

Only other parts you will need are a couple of miniature connectors which Clippard sells as well. Think I might have myself a DIY project.

http://www.clippard.com/store/search...&description2=

Unread 06/27/2010, 08:18 PM   #6
pcofdareef
Registered Member

@ therman... I already have a CO2 setup with regulator etc... I would just like to get a electronic one since they are more accurate and I am out of town frequently for weeks at a time and have come home to a reactor with a bubblecount that is not how I left it...... $189 for a purchased one or approx. $70 for a DIY one..

@ Bryan... The timer that is needed is a M605RP1A and comes with the potentiometer and only costs $15 usd( http://www.precisiontimer.com/pdf/m605frtchbinder.pdf )
It is a M605R which is off cycle first - "P" for .1 -5 sec or 4 bubbles per second - 1 per 10 sec. - "1" for 12VDC - & "A" for potentiometer. As for the Clippard valve it is a EV-2-12-H and is normally closed / open with 12VDC.... and you are correct, clippard does sell fittings and mini check valves

I am planning on making my DIY regulator alot smaller and with more control over the bubbles... Also I plan to hardline the valve using mini fittings rather than use tubing inside the unit, this should make it more compact and I would think more reliable.....

Unread 06/27/2010, 08:21 PM   #7
pcofdareef
Registered Member

Ohh and Bryan.. if you do start one be sure to post up some progress and pics on here....

Unread 06/28/2010, 02:15 PM   #8
Bryan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcofdareef;17299816

@ Bryan... The timer that is needed is a M605RP1A and comes with the potentiometer and only costs $15 usd( [URL
http://www.precisiontimer.com/pdf/m605frtchbinder.pdf[/URL] )
It is a M605R which is off cycle first - "P" for .1 -5 sec or 4 bubbles per second - 1 per 10 sec. - "1" for 12VDC - & "A" for potentiometer..
Hmm, somtheing I don't understand about the timer/timer delays they are using if it is that timer. It appears it is a timer with a 50% duty cycle, meaning it is on the same amount of time it is off. So if the timer is say on for 1 second then you would get a stream of bubbles for 1 second and then nothing for 1 second. that can't be right could it?

If so I would think a better way is to have a timer with an adjustable off time and a ON time that is set, tos say 0.1 seconds so it only has enough time to release 1 bubble depending on the pressure.

Unread 06/28/2010, 02:22 PM   #9
pcofdareef
Registered Member

Yeah I thought of that last night while I was doing a little more research.... I have the people from Precision Timer looking at which timer would work for this application...

Unread 06/28/2010, 02:37 PM   #10
Bryan
Registered Member

I am planning on using a PIC micro to control the delays and will add a LCD for visual support. On time will be adustable to allow 1 bubble to escape per cycle and the off time adustable to how many bubbles per min. Then you would not need to rely on the pressure of the regulator. I suspect a 200ms(1/5 sec) on time would allow 1 bubble to escape.

Unread 06/28/2010, 02:46 PM   #11
pcofdareef
Registered Member

Sounds interesting.... Got any links or pics/pricing for these parts.. This is one of the biggest complaints about the other one... You have to use the regulator to adjust bubble size.... Maybe have a knob to adjust valve on time to adjust bubble size. On the same note I want to keep it simple and reliable

Last edited by pcofdareef; 06/28/2010 at 02:59 PM.
Unread 06/28/2010, 03:09 PM   #12
pcofdareef
Registered Member

Just recieved this from the Precision Timer guy....

http://www.precisiontimer.com/pdf/606frtchbinder.pdf

Has separate adjustable ON OFF times... ON will adjust bubble size and OFF will be the bubblecount... He is researching the Clippard Valve to see if the timer can handle the load....

I am not great at planning elecronics out but I can build it if I have all the parts....lol

Last edited by pcofdareef; 06/28/2010 at 03:56 PM.
Unread 06/28/2010, 04:25 PM   #13
Bryan
Registered Member

Yes, that would be the way to go, looks like you have a winner there and have the proper timer. The only thing you may want to check with Precison timers is some of the electronic relays that use triacs for switching as opposed to a mechancical relay will not switch OFF if the load is small ie say under 20 ma or .02amps. Last thing you want is the Clippard valve not turning off. As a failsafe I would have a controller monitoring the PH of the reactor, if it gets too low then swtitch off the whole works!!

Clippard only uses 0.67 watts so it can more than handle the load, if anyhting it draws so little power it could have the problem I have stated above. The relay can handle 1 amp. The clippard will use about 60ma or 0.06amps if my math is correct.

I do want to give Clippard a call and ask what the difference is between the electronic version and the solenoid version. Seem to have the same specs and price?

Programming PICS is a bit complicated and not something one can pick up easily without a lot of playing around. Tons of tutorials online. But get it working first with what you have sourced and then work on something fancy later. If the relay is a no go then the next best would be a DIY timer using a 555 timer chip or pair of adjustable timers that are frequently used in the automation industry.

If you need a hand, electronics is one of my hobbies, no wizard, but can get around with most things.

Unread 07/03/2010, 03:40 AM   #14
Bryan
Registered Member

Thinking of something like this.

Monitor the PH and turn off CO2 if below a pre-set threshold.

CO2 On time is the time ON in 0.1 second intervals Co2 OFF time in 0.1s intervals.

Co2.JPG

Unread 03/10/2012, 07:08 PM   #15
ronreef
Registered Member.

Just ran across this thread and it seemed promising. Did you guys get this running? How'd it go?

ronreef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bubble counter, co2, selenoid