Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/25/2019, 09:05 AM   #1
raylinds
Registered Member

Gulf Live Rock Coralline LR

I am just getting back to Reefing after a twenty year absence (and couldn't be more excited). I had a very healthy 150G back then, but the hobby has changed a lot in twenty years. Back then I added live rock that looked great, but carried a lot of nuisance hitchhikers.

I am setting up a 110G tank and to avoid the unwanted guests my idea is to get half Reef Safe Live Rock and half Gulf Live Rock Coralline Live Rock. GLR claims the Coralline Rock does not need curing, but I plan to cure it with the dry rock. I am hoping this will help jump start the coralline growth on the dry rock eventually.

Does anybody have any experience with the GLR Coralline rock? Does my plan make sense?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Ray

raylinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2019, 11:09 AM   #2
HumbleFish
Moved On

If you use any live rock, best to wait 76 days before adding fish. Parasite tomonts could be encysted to the rock.

Also, the entire supply chain is a lot more disease infested than it was 20 years ago. So, I highly recommend quarantining all fish (and corals/inverts) before adding them to your DT.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2019, 12:16 PM   #3
raylinds
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
If you use any live rock, best to wait 76 days before adding fish. Parasite tomonts could be encysted to the rock.

Also, the entire supply chain is a lot more disease infested than it was 20 years ago. So, I highly recommend quarantining all fish (and corals/inverts) before adding them to your DT.
Thanks, I plan on taking this very slowly. I was planning on curing the LR for two months, but can wait 76 days. I will not introduce any life until I know system is very stable and plan on building a QT.

raylinds is offline   Reply With Quote