Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/05/2016, 05:17 PM   #1
stan80
Registered Member

Apex Neptune is garbage!!

So after hearing countless times the apex Neptune is the greatest thing on earth I finally decided to buy it over the reefsaver since most agree its much better. I bought the apex jr because I didn't want a computer controlling my entire aquarium ( computers already run our lives as it is). I got it from bulk reef supply and I installed it and the stupid thing doesn't recognize the temp probe. So after countless emails and being ask idiotic questions like " do you have it plugged in" over n over they send me a new temp probe and it doesn't work either so now I get to pay $10 to send the whole unit to apex do they can work on it. Even if I do get it working I will still hate it forever

stan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2016, 05:30 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Sorry for your issues. I've been running a very complex Apex system since the day they came out and it's always been very reliable. I think you are just having some bad luck because the Apex is far from garbage. I know it doesn't feel that way right now and I know it's frustrating.. Especially if your Apex is truly dos with regards to the temp probe. Most Apex issues are user related and not hardware related so while the question of the temp probe being plugged in may seem stupid to you, to a technician who is helping you with troubleshooting, that is not as stupid a question as you may think. I would guess that they also made sure you had it plugged into to the temp port and not the legacy port? In all my years of helping people on this forum and elsewhere with controller issues, your issue is the first I have heard of that nature with the Apex. If you just bought this, maybe BRS could swap it for you?? Either way, I am sure once you get your issue resolved, you will learn to love it. It's an invaluable piece of equipment in my system which like I said, is very complex and has dozens of modules.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2016, 06:34 PM   #3
drummerboyevil
Registered Member

I'd rather my apex came broken and be dealing with your issues for a week before going back to a reef keeper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drummerboyevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2016, 06:40 PM   #4
scuzy
Registered Member

I never really like the Apex Jr i have it and don't like it compare to my apex full running my main tank. I dedicated the Jr to my quarantine tank.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2016, 07:33 PM   #5
ClownNut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan80 View Post
So after hearing countless times the apex Neptune is the greatest thing on earth I finally decided to buy it over the reefsaver since most agree its much better. I bought the apex jr because I didn't want a computer controlling my entire aquarium ( computers already run our lives as it is). I got it from bulk reef supply and I installed it and the stupid thing doesn't recognize the temp probe. So after countless emails and being ask idiotic questions like " do you have it plugged in" over n over they send me a new temp probe and it doesn't work either so now I get to pay $10 to send the whole unit to apex do they can work on it. Even if I do get it working I will still hate it forever
you think that's bad? try to have the same issue with reef keeper.
i am not sure why you want the controller if you dont want it to control the system. apex run 99% of the things for me. i dont see anything that i wont let apex do it for me. the only thing i do is feeding my fish when i am home. when i am not at home i will turn my afs on.
trust me once you have the apex up and running you will change your view. i know how PITA that is when controller not working.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2016, 10:29 PM   #6
kurt_n
Registered Member

Quote:
...I bought the apex jr because I didn't want a computer controlling my entire aquarium ( computers already run our lives as it is).....
Sorry to hear about your troubles with it, but I think your comment above says it all. Why on earth would you buy *any* controller with this attitude towards them? I'm not being confrontational, but just saying that controllers aren't required to run a tank. And if you don't want one, don't buy one.

Just because you bought an Apex Jr doesn't mean you don't have a controller/computer controlling your tank. The Jr has the same guts as the full-blown Apex. It just means you bought a version that isn't as expandable as the full-priced on.

kurt_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2016, 07:09 AM   #7
Bpb
Registered Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2016, 07:11 AM   #8
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
so after hearing countless times the neptune apex is the greatest thing on earth i finally decided to buy it over the reef keeper since most agree its much better. I bought the apex jr because i didn't want a computer controlling my entire aquarium ( computers already run our lives as it is). I got it from bulk reef supply and i installed it and the stupid thing doesn't recognize the temp probe. So after countless emails and being ask idiotic questions like " do you have it plugged in" over n over they send me a new temp probe and it doesn't work either so now i get to pay $10 to send the whole unit to apex do they can work on it. Even if i do get it working i will still hate it forever

fify

Unread 05/06/2016, 08:22 AM   #9
JohnnyHildo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post

exactly.
i'd like to just go ahead and disagree with what op said and send out some heavy praise for apex. it's not perfect everywhere but is still an outstanding tool for an aquarium.

Current Tank Info: Acros - Zoas - Palys
JohnnyHildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2016, 08:32 AM   #10
Bpb
Registered Member

I'm sure some uptight joy-kill will soon tell me my post wasn't helpful, could be seen as insulting, and maybe report to to a mod (again), but I don't care.

OP came to vent not ask for help. Anyone who thinks the apex is garbage either got a ultra-rare lemon component that is being replaced for free as it should be, or has been unable to comprehend the setup process.

The apex is NOT a plug 'n play device like your skimmer, or even like your controllable powerheads. You cannot unbox it, plug it in, and just wing it. You have to read and re-read the manual, a few times, and have at least some basic UNDERSTANDING of simple logic commands and basic level programming. If you want a plug n play device, buy separate temperature and ph controller devices. JBJ and Mileaukee/Pinpoint have that taken care of, and head to the hardware store and pick up a handful of wall timers for the rest. Or a switchable DJ power strip. If you're not willing to put the effort into setup, the apex isn't for you. That doesn't make it garbage

Unread 05/06/2016, 09:13 AM   #11
ClownNut
Registered Member

Quote:
If you're not willing to put the effort into setup, the apex isn't for you. That doesn't make it garbage
well said

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqGt-pZmoW8

lol lol lol lol lol

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2016, 09:17 AM   #12
Bpb
Registered Member

Lol that is gold

Unread 05/06/2016, 09:48 AM   #13
Pablos RSM 450
Registered Member

Quote:
I cant speak about the JR since I have the regular controller and I am very happy with it. I did have a bit of an issue setting it up and performing my first update but the online instructions are very helpful. I would say it is the best investment I have made since setting up my aquarium. As stated by other members you shouldn't have purchased it if you didn't want it to control your aquarium.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 450
Pablos RSM 450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2016, 09:49 AM   #14
Pablos RSM 450
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownNut View Post
well said

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqGt-pZmoW8

lol lol lol lol lol
That video pretty much explains it. LOL

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 450
Pablos RSM 450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2016, 10:31 AM   #15
cincyjim
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm sure some uptight joy-kill will soon tell me my post wasn't helpful, could be seen as insulting, and maybe report to to a mod (again), but I don't care.

OP came to vent not ask for help. Anyone who thinks the apex is garbage either got a ultra-rare lemon component that is being replaced for free as it should be, or has been unable to comprehend the setup process.

The apex is NOT a plug 'n play device like your skimmer, or even like your controllable powerheads. You cannot unbox it, plug it in, and just wing it. You have to read and re-read the manual, a few times, and have at least some basic UNDERSTANDING of simple logic commands and basic level programming. If you want a plug n play device, buy separate temperature and ph controller devices. JBJ and Mileaukee/Pinpoint have that taken care of, and head to the hardware store and pick up a handful of wall timers for the rest. Or a switchable DJ power strip. If you're not willing to put the effort into setup, the apex isn't for you. That doesn't make it garbage

I don't know... I thought it was pretty much plug-n-play. The only issue was my router is upstairs and the tank is in the basement so I bought a much better router. Not Neptune's fault at all.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2016, 10:49 AM   #16
TangingOut
Registered Member

Quote:
Lol that is gold

Apex gold?

TangingOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2016, 12:04 PM   #17
L8Braker
Registered Member

I loved my DA Reef Keeper until it recently died on me and I've tried contacting DA emergency line 3-4 times with no reply..... Ordered an Apex Gold so its going on my new tank build so no real experience with it yet, but so far its flawless. DA Customer service really let me down....the controller worked great for 5-6 years.

L8Braker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2016, 12:37 PM   #18
Pseudo69
Registered Member

That video was priceless!!!

Pseudo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2016, 01:15 PM   #19
sixpackgarage
reef mechanic

I have both the Jr. and gold. Both work very well and have never had probe issues. I have had setup issues that in hindsight were my own fault. I have to give it to Neptune for having the best customer service I've ever dealt with. I've had them remote into my laptop twice so they could navigate and understand what I was struggling with. I will give my continued business to them because I judge a company on how they react and behave when a customer has problems. You have to be a partner in the problem solving process. They make a quality product.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2523500

Current Tank Info: DSA NEO 65G reef powered by Kessil
sixpackgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2016, 01:21 PM   #20
CafeReef
Registered Member

I had a lot of issues getting it connected to my network so I could remotely access. For the price, it is unfortunate that wireless connectivity is not a built in feature, but for $13 i was able to buy a travel router to hook it up, no big deal. My issues that I had I am embarrassed to admit.

I pay for this hobby by being an IT Systems Engineer and I spent weeks fighting why my port forwarding was not working...Issue one, I was targeting my router and not my Apex in my port forwarding configuration, and two, in the Apex app I was targeting the local IP of my Apex and not my public IP for my network. Like I said...embarrassing.

rm -rf /

Unread 05/06/2016, 01:57 PM   #21
mikeatjac
Registered Member

Quote:
So after hearing countless times the apex Neptune is the greatest thing on earth I finally decided to buy it over the reefsaver since most agree its much better. I bought the apex jr because I didn't want a computer controlling my entire aquarium ( computers already run our lives as it is). I got it from bulk reef supply and I installed it and the stupid thing doesn't recognize the temp probe. So after countless emails and being ask idiotic questions like " do you have it plugged in" over n over they send me a new temp probe and it doesn't work either so now I get to pay $10 to send the whole unit to apex do they can work on Even if I do get it working I will still hate it forever
I am sure you will love it when you get it back.

mikeatjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2016, 02:15 PM   #22
Macro1
Registered Member

That video was awesome

Macro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2016, 02:15 PM   #23
Macro1
Registered Member

The only issue I've had was when I recalibrate do my probes and it took over 24 hrs for them to reset.

Macro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2016, 02:27 PM   #24
sixpackgarage
reef mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeReef View Post
I had a lot of issues getting it connected to my network so I could remotely access. For the price, it is unfortunate that wireless connectivity is not a built in feature, but for $13 i was able to buy a travel router to hook it up, no big deal. My issues that I had I am embarrassed to admit.

I pay for this hobby by being an IT Systems Engineer and I spent weeks fighting why my port forwarding was not working...Issue one, I was targeting my router and not my Apex in my port forwarding configuration, and two, in the Apex app I was targeting the local IP of my Apex and not my public IP for my network. Like I said...embarrassing.

rm -rf /
Yep, I didn't even bother trying to figure out all that port forwarding mumbo jumbo.. I called customer service and they remoted into my laptop and had it configured and running in probably 10 minutes.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2523500

Current Tank Info: DSA NEO 65G reef powered by Kessil
sixpackgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2016, 05:50 PM   #25
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

There's a learning/frustration curve with the apex. I was ready to pack mine up and send it back as well, but I persisted and am glad I did. Had a similar hair-pulling experience with my GHL doser as well (still cannot get the wifi to work). Controller is hardly necessary, of course. Ran my reef tanks for 20 years without one, but it certainly is nice in terms of what it allows you to do. It's certainly possible the OP got a lemon.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote