Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/25/2019, 09:40 PM   #1
wk1428
Registered Member

pistol shrimp and goby question

My first fish was a pistol shrimp and goby I got at a LFS. I talked to them about a good first fish and through the conversation we settled on these two. I was really excited for them and once I put them in my tank they vanished. I know the pistol shrimp still exists as I can see the burrows and his antenna when he pushes sand out but I have not seen the goby after his introduction. My family have seen him once a few days after his introduction but I was at work. My question is this, should i ever hunt for the goby and start moving rocks? I don't know if he is eating or his health and it worries me. Do I assume he vanished, jumping and a dog getting to it or maybe something else? Is this a common situation?

Also I am pretty sure the employee said he was a diamondback goby which I am told doesn't pair with shrimp but my family swore they saw him guarding the tunnel the one time he was out.

wk1428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2019, 10:17 PM   #2
scattered
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk1428 View Post
My first fish was a pistol shrimp and goby I got at a LFS. I talked to them about a good first fish and through the conversation we settled on these two. I was really excited for them and once I put them in my tank they vanished. I know the pistol shrimp still exists as I can see the burrows and his antenna when he pushes sand out but I have not seen the goby after his introduction. My family have seen him once a few days after his introduction but I was at work. My question is this, should i ever hunt for the goby and start moving rocks? I don't know if he is eating or his health and it worries me. Do I assume he vanished, jumping and a dog getting to it or maybe something else? Is this a common situation?

Also I am pretty sure the employee said he was a diamondback goby which I am told doesn't pair with shrimp but my family swore they saw him guarding the tunnel the one time he was out.

How big is the tank? How old? What other inhabitants?

Gobies are a shy species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 03/26/2019, 05:52 AM   #3
Auston
Registered Member

Get used to not seeing things in your tank in this hobby lol. Try taking a look in the middle of the night

Auston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2019, 04:38 PM   #4
skiwez
Registered Member

Diamond gobies are generally out and about causing mayhem in the tank by stirring up sand. If you don't see him I would check around the tank. They are notorious jumpers

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

skiwez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2019, 07:18 PM   #5
Anemone
Cloning Around

How long since you've seen the fish? My goby will often disappear for a few days, and once up to a couple of months before reappearing. If it's been longer than that, it's probably time to get a new goby. If you're looking for a hardy species, try the yellow watchman.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2019, 09:13 PM   #6
Daddi0
Registered Member

We have a pistol and 2 yellow watchmen. I always see the gobies and rarely the pistol.
Cheers! Mark

Unread 03/27/2019, 05:03 PM   #7
Kriegad
Registered Member

Did you check around the tank and back of the tank or in your sump to see if it jumped or went down overflow? I had one yellow watchman that paired with my pistol shrimp that kept going down my overflow to my sump, then one day it disappeared. A few months later I got a wheeler goby, it was my favorite because it paired with the pistol and they were both out all the time. The pistol doing work cleaning the burrow and the wheeler keeping watch. Then one morning it was dried up on top of my screen top to my tank. Still don’t know how it fit through any small opening I may have had, but it did. Then I got a hi fin goby about a month ago. It his immediately hid and I haven’t seen it since.

Kriegad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2019, 07:33 PM   #8
ddauti1
Registered Member

Hey guys quick question, I woke up this morning and I found my diamond watchman goby on the floor of my Fishtank, it did well for like two weeks! It even went through the cover of the Fishtank anybody ever have this happen to them?

IN MY TANK WHEN IT HAPPENED
-I have two ocellaris clown fish in my tank, one cleaner shrimp, one fire red shrimp, one six line wrasse, and a orchid dottyback.

ddauti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2019, 09:16 PM   #9
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddauti1 View Post
Hey guys quick question, I woke up this morning and I found my diamond watchman goby on the floor of my Fishtank, it did well for like two weeks! It even went through the cover of the Fishtank anybody ever have this happen to them?
Any/every fish can jump. Some are more known for jumping than others, but you can find someone who has any fish you name jump.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2019, 06:15 AM   #10
ddauti1
Registered Member

Got it, thanks again

ddauti1 is offline   Reply With Quote