Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/14/2015, 11:49 PM   #126
mike810
Registered Member

What can I do to get more pink in my strawberry shortcake? Seems like there is a lot more green than pink.

Same with my red planet, there is a lot more green than red.

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2015, 01:00 AM   #127
mike810
Registered Member

I love new toys!!

Unread 05/16/2015, 10:53 PM   #128
mike810
Registered Member

This is where I'm at with the control panel. Waiting on the glue to dry on the grommets before I run the wires.

Unread 05/19/2015, 02:47 PM   #129
mike810
Registered Member

This came in the mail today.

Unread 05/19/2015, 07:05 PM   #130
mike810
Registered Member

I just installed the QD upgrade. I must say this thing is freaking quiet compared to the old MP60 driver. In fact, it is so quiet that my two Tunze 6105s are now louder than the MP60QD. My tank is finally quiet. The majority of the equipment I have is quiet. The MP60 was the loudest part of my tank.

Unread 05/19/2015, 07:08 PM   #131
mike810
Registered Member

Some bad news! Last night, the red dragon return pump died on me. Was dosing the tank when I heard an electrical pop. Looked under the tank and the red dragon control box was flashing then died. I had to place another order with next day shipping to get a replacement. I'll be returning the defective pump for a refund. Dang pump was only running for 19 days.

Unread 05/20/2015, 10:31 PM   #132
mike810
Registered Member

Well, after several days of endless wire management. I was able to finally clean up the all the wires and hide it behind a panel. There are still some wires here and there but a lot better than before. I gotta say the Apex is awesome. The things you can do with the Apex blows the Reef Keeper Elite out of the water.

Here are some before and after pics.

Old Setup

New Setup

Sump lit by LED rope lights which automatically turns on by a magnetic switch when a door is opened.

Avast Marine Vibe surrounded by Apex leak detectors programmed to turn the vibe pump off if any leaks are present. No more pumping rocks for me! I will have an acrylic box built for the vibe to contain any leaks.

Need to install another magnetic switch so that when the doors are closed, a fan inside the cabinet will turn on to control humidity.

Unread 05/24/2015, 04:43 AM   #133
mike810
Registered Member

Opinions please!

So I have an MP60 on one end of my 8ft peninsula. Two tunze 6105s on the over flow box side. I'm thinking of switching these pumps out because they're actually noisier than the MP60. There's a pillar right in the middle of the over flow side. Should I go with two MP60s on left and right side or should I go with two MP40s both of which will be the new quiet drives.

Another option would be to use the vortechs with the tunzes. They will have to be stuck to the overflow itself. More flow but it would make for a cluttered over side.
Thoughts, opinions and maybe other recommendations ? I feel the over flow side does not get enough flow with just the two 6105s. There is some gha build up on the sand and rocks in this side.

The half of the tank with the MP60 does not experience this type of gha build up on the sand and rocks. Thanks!

Unread 01/26/2018, 09:57 PM   #134
akopley
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike810 View Post
So I have an MP60 on one end of my 8ft peninsula. Two tunze 6105s on the over flow box side. I'm thinking of switching these pumps out because they're actually noisier than the MP60. There's a pillar right in the middle of the over flow side. Should I go with two MP60s on left and right side or should I go with two MP40s both of which will be the new quiet drives.

Another option would be to use the vortechs with the tunzes. They will have to be stuck to the overflow itself. More flow but it would make for a cluttered over side.
Thoughts, opinions and maybe other recommendations ? I feel the over flow side does not get enough flow with just the two 6105s. There is some gha build up on the sand and rocks in this side.

The half of the tank with the MP60 does not experience this type of gha build up on the sand and rocks. Thanks!
any updates? have a similar build starting.

akopley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 08:35 PM   #135
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Very well layed out. I like it, organized and clean.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote