Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Dionysius
Registered Member

coral food!

Anyone make some crazy food? Mix all kinds of foods? Blend a mixture of stuff?

Dionysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 06:58 PM   #2
gtstylez87
Registered Member

there are a few different types of food i like to feed. before anyone chimes in about how it going to pollute the water just know i dont recommend you to do them everyday or to add a lot. depending of your filtration system and amount of livestock feed accordingly. I like to mix a little bit of oyster feast, artic pods, and phytoplankton (both green and red forms) into a container of tank water. i first add a little to the tank to get the corals feeding tentacles out. then target feed them. another method i use is when i feed my fish marine supreme i use some of it. what i do is i thaw a chunk of it in some tank water. then i use a very coarse and strain the large chunks of food and feed the fish. when you add the food to the water it will get the corals to open up. then target feed the corals with a pipet. be sure to let the strained water settle and let all the small particles sink to the bottom. then suck them up with the pipet and target feed. dont forget to expel the air out the pipet before you suck up the some of that water, because the air bubbles in the water will cause the particles to go every where in the container and the food becomes less concentrated. i hope this helped. i feed like this every three days. i have a 10 gallon with a 150 GPA graded filter and live plants growing in the tank and i have not had any spikes. just like any type of dosing you just have to be careful.

gtstylez87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2012, 04:46 AM   #3
svk
Registered Member

Thats not bad at all i would do that every day I just started doing a frozen to liquid base food ....so my fish never liked krill i blended them and added eveything to it likeKRILL 1pound, mysis 8oz,blood worm4oz, rotifers8oz,cyclops8oz,crude protein 6oz vitaminC few grams (eyeballed it) Ro/Di water 16oz ... think i put few other stuff in there but i forgot garlic ! my sps loved it but my lps not soo much ... think the crude protein was bit much for them.

Current Tank Info: 150g
svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2012, 11:18 PM   #4
Dionysius
Registered Member

Ive been mixing, frozen baby brine, frozen adult brine, frozen mysis, seachem reef plus, fuel, phytoplankton. I let it sit over night in the fridge. Then add a little water and spot feed. Great growth in my chalices that Ive been feeding!!

Dionysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2012, 07:26 AM   #5
jeff@zina.com
Registered Member

Depends on corals. Most get fish food daily, but I do target feed with mysis, brine, rotifers, etc. Whatever I have around. I use commercial products as well, random mix,

Jeff

jeff@zina.com is offline   Reply With Quote