Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/07/2017, 05:08 PM   #1
mitchdog7
Registered Member

Diy automated canopy lift

So I'm in the process of putting together the stand and canopy for my 180 gallon, 6x2x2, peninsula reef tank build, and I'm running into a problem. I'm trying to get the canopy to lift using an electric actuator, which I have, (it'll handle 400lbs and has 24" of travel). My problem, is since im doing a peninsula style tank, I'm trying to figure out how to support the entire almost 7' canopy from just one end? As I want the far end to be completely open, with no supports for the canopy on that side. I'm guessing the canopy is 80 lbs at most with the lights installed. I've got 2 heavy duty drawer slides, rated for 400lbs horizontally, but I don't think drawer slides are a good/safe bet, but maybe I'm wrong, and just should add a couple more.
I thought too about just using say a 1 od" steel tube, and then a ~1" ID piece of steel outside it and attach that to the canopy on each corner in the back to let it slide up and down.
Anyone have any thoughts? I tried looking at linear rail systems, but can't find much info, or anything relatively cheap.
Thanks, Mitch

mitchdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 05:44 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Can you draw a picture of the setup?
And please indicate the direction of movement..

It seems like you want to cantilever the canopy but I'm not clear in which direction you want it to "lift".. or where your mounting/lifting points area..

Unread 11/09/2017, 06:59 AM   #3
gargoylenest
Registered Member

maybe you need to look at something like this:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/QLdRFX9wV3Q/maxresdefault.jpg
with the actuator pushing a perpendicular rod, which in turn will push the base of the scissor on each side, which are held at the base in some kind of rails.
that's how I'd do it, anyway

gargoylenest is offline   Reply With Quote