Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/17/2017, 04:35 PM   #1
Weld and Water
Registered Member

Coral dipping tips

So for the last month i have battled dinos and have finally beat them and they have yet to return over the course of a month. i noticed when i got my last coral frags from the lfs that he had dinos to some degree in his main coral display tank so i returned the ones i just purchased before i got it in the tank again. I dip every coral frag or colony that i buy but that didnt stop the dinos from entering the system. Is there any other method that i can use along with dipping the corals to prevent dinos or alage again. Sorry if this is a redundant question but thanks for the time!

Unread 09/17/2017, 04:43 PM   #2
kuzko
Registered Member

Not really. That's a big reason to have a QT tank, give's it time to starve that stuff off. Good CUC helps too.

I've lost count of how many tanks I have so I guess just *Insert generic tank specs here*
kuzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2017, 04:51 PM   #3
Weld and Water
Registered Member

Im in the process of trying to set one up now but the funds are saying otherwise at the moment haha. Was just curious as to what i could do for the time being seeing as how i have no self control buying corals

Unread 09/17/2017, 05:05 PM   #4
kuzko
Registered Member

QT tank doesnt need to be fancy. 10 gallon tank from petco for $10 with a HOB filter rated for a 20 gallon tank, and a halfway decent LED or T5. Should cost less than $100 - maybe $150 if you splurge on the lights. and like $10 for a frag rack off amazon or something.

I've lost count of how many tanks I have so I guess just *Insert generic tank specs here*
Unread 09/17/2017, 05:35 PM   #5
Weld and Water
Registered Member

Well thats not nearly as bad as thought it would be. Will be going out this week to get it set up then. Could i do a h202 dip for new frags for the time being or is that too harsh

Unread 09/17/2017, 05:42 PM   #6
kuzko
Registered Member

I've personally never considered bathing my corals in hydrogen peroxide, that's brave. You'll have to wait for somebody else to step in on that one. I've only ever used iodine dips.

Unread 09/17/2017, 06:06 PM   #7
Weld and Water
Registered Member

I do appreciate the help thus far about the qt tank man

Unread 09/18/2017, 02:21 PM   #8
DDon
Registered Member

Sorry for the long winded reply but need to provide some background info.

Due to a very long battle with dinos in my display tank, I was pulling the remaining corals and testing some dips to see if I could kill the dinos on the corals prior to moving them to another tank.
I identified at least 5 different types of dinos in my tank with a microscope: Ostreopsis, Coolia, Prorocentrum and 2 different species of amphidinium.
Corals were a mix of sps (acros), lps and zoas.
First batch I performed a low salinity dip (1.010 sg) for 30 seconds followed by diluted peroxide dip (8 parts water to 1 part 3% peroxide) followed by a rinse in fresh saltwater.
After dipping I monitored and found no living Ostreopsis, Prorocentrum or Coolia but did find encysted Coolia, which I assume were still viable, and active amphidinium.
A week later I followed up with another low salinity dip (1.008 sg this time) and 4:1 water to peroxide dip. Had same results as first time.
Second batch of corals which included acros, a tiny piece of monti and lps. I went straight to the 1.008 sg dip and 4:1 water/peroxide dip but used aggressive basting on the corals during the dip. Still found the amphidinium after but nothing else.
No coral losses on the first batch but lost 2 acro frags from second batch. Both had significant tissue loss before the dip so no real surprise they RTNed on me.

Low salinity dips seems to be effective on the more toxic armored dinoflagellates but won't do anything for amphidinium (from my experience only)
This may help you out in the short term but QT for your corals is best long term strategy along with a cheap microscope to confirm the presence or absence of dinos.

If dinos are encysted, there is nothing we can dip our corals in that would kill the cysts and not kill the corals.

DDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2017, 03:10 PM   #9
Weld and Water
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDon View Post
Sorry for the long winded reply but need to provide some background info.

Due to a very long battle with dinos in my display tank, I was pulling the remaining corals and testing some dips to see if I could kill the dinos on the corals prior to moving them to another tank.
I identified at least 5 different types of dinos in my tank with a microscope: Ostreopsis, Coolia, Prorocentrum and 2 different species of amphidinium.
Corals were a mix of sps (acros), lps and zoas.
First batch I performed a low salinity dip (1.010 sg) for 30 seconds followed by diluted peroxide dip (8 parts water to 1 part 3% peroxide) followed by a rinse in fresh saltwater.
After dipping I monitored and found no living Ostreopsis, Prorocentrum or Coolia but did find encysted Coolia, which I assume were still viable, and active amphidinium.
A week later I followed up with another low salinity dip (1.008 sg this time) and 4:1 water to peroxide dip. Had same results as first time.
Second batch of corals which included acros, a tiny piece of monti and lps. I went straight to the 1.008 sg dip and 4:1 water/peroxide dip but used aggressive basting on the corals during the dip. Still found the amphidinium after but nothing else.
No coral losses on the first batch but lost 2 acro frags from second batch. Both had significant tissue loss before the dip so no real surprise they RTNed on me.

Low salinity dips seems to be effective on the more toxic armored dinoflagellates but won't do anything for amphidinium (from my experience only)
This may help you out in the short term but QT for your corals is best long term strategy along with a cheap microscope to confirm the presence or absence of dinos.

If dinos are encysted, there is nothing we can dip our corals in that would kill the cysts and not kill the corals.
I really appreciate this. It is extremely helpful and im sure somebody else will find the same. I have used a microscope to be certain of the absence of dinos and thank god none are there. I have since gotten the equipment for a qt tank and eill be setting up tonight. May be avoiding that lfs from now on and trying the other one near me. Thanks again for the advice and help

Unread 09/19/2017, 10:22 AM   #10
soulpatch
Registered Member

I think one item that gets overlooked with many is to remove the coral and put it onto a fresh plug before dipping. I always cut the coral free and reglue to a fresh plug then goes in for a bayer dip, rinse, perozide dip, rinse, tank.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 02:30 PM   #11
Weld and Water
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
I think one item that gets overlooked with many is to remove the coral and put it onto a fresh plug before dipping. I always cut the coral free and reglue to a fresh plug then goes in for a bayer dip, rinse, perozide dip, rinse, tank.
What ratios do you use for your dipping with the bayer and peroxide? Seems very effective

Unread 09/19/2017, 02:38 PM   #12
soulpatch
Registered Member

peroxide is 50/50.

Bayer I use about 10 ml per 4 oz of water.

Unread 09/19/2017, 02:47 PM   #13
Weld and Water
Registered Member

Will the peroxide be safe will acros aswell thanks for the info man

Unread 09/19/2017, 02:50 PM   #14
soulpatch
Registered Member

Never had any issues with it with everything from my basic acros up to my fancier walt disneys, event horizon, and more.

I have yet to have any issues with a coral with the above dipping schedule from zoas to LPS to high end SPS. You might see a bit more mucus as the coral gets a bit agitated but they are happy again once rinsed and in the tank.

Unread 09/19/2017, 04:01 PM   #15
Weld and Water
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
Never had any issues with it with everything from my basic acros up to my fancier walt disneys, event horizon, and more.

I have yet to have any issues with a coral with the above dipping schedule from zoas to LPS to high end SPS. You might see a bit more mucus as the coral gets a bit agitated but they are happy again once rinsed and in the tank.
Really appreciate the info man! Will deffinately be doing this from now on

Tags
corals, dipping checmical, help needed