Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/19/2017, 12:34 PM   #1
nuttyd
Registered Member

After Irma

So I live in Miami. The past couple week have been a major inconvenience at best. We were not hit hard by Irma, but did have a lot of tree damage to the city. Power was the biggest loss. Many got power back quickly. I was one of the few that didn't. Power went out for me on Saturday 9th and finally was back on Sunday 17th. So the tank went 8+ days without power. Fortunately, i have three battery aerators which were used for the entire outage. It was not until this past friday that I noticed the first corals start to STN. I am going to loose a couple smaller SPS, a couple trumpet corals and that might be all. The rest made it through. Have a giant duncan coral, frogspan, bubble coral, giant sps colony, buttons, mushrooms, and some others i forgot the names too that all look unhappy but are showing signs of getting better. Fish made it through just fine.

nuttyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 01:51 PM   #2
James404
I <3 Acros

Sorry to hear about your losses, but at least it seems it is minimal. Especially for 8+ days without power.

Unread 09/19/2017, 03:28 PM   #3
nuttyd
Registered Member

Im hoping so. There is some recession of the flesh on the skeleton, but i think they will recover. Am very surprised how long they have lasted. I really thought I was going to be starting over after a few days without power.

Unread 09/19/2017, 03:33 PM   #4
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Can you use a small generator? They aren't too expensive and can run the entire tank.

Or an inverter at you can run the tank off your car battery.

Unread 09/19/2017, 03:34 PM   #5
nuttyd
Registered Member

Building wont allow generators otherwise I would have one. Been thinking about getting one anyway for the next time this might happen.

Unread 09/19/2017, 05:31 PM   #6
heathlindner25
Moved On

Just get a Honda and they will never know.

heathlindner25 is offline   Reply With Quote