Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/11/2015, 11:04 PM   #1
qcksilver127
Registered Member

FIRST POST Need advise on sump refugium setup!

Hello everyone. I've been at this for a while but I am new to forums. Figured this was the best place to come to for advice. I have a 90g setup corner overflow that will eventually be both reef/fish. As for now I have just a few fish. I'm building a refugium piggy-backing off of my sump. The plan is to use the center of the megaflow model 3 as a refugium, then use the hang on back overflow to fill the 10g as a secondary refugium, then separating the end of the 10g for return pump. I'm up for any advice or tips. I've tried attatching some pics. Hope they help. Any and all help would be appreciates. Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1653.JPG (83.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1655.JPG (90.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1659.JPG (81.1 KB, 50 views)
qcksilver127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2015, 08:36 AM   #2
Mrramsey
NEO Reefer

Sounds like trouble to me. Why not just build a new sump the way you want it?

Current Tank Info: 120g In-Wall | BA Overflow | 55g Sump | SWC Extreme 150 Skimmer | DIY ATO | 2 Jebao RW-8| Fluval SP6 | Photon 48v2 LED | GFO and Carbon
Mrramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2015, 08:46 AM   #3
JP Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcksilver127 View Post
Hello everyone. I've been at this for a while but I am new to forums. Figured this was the best place to come to for advice. I have a 90g setup corner overflow that will eventually be both reef/fish. As for now I have just a few fish. I'm building a refugium piggy-backing off of my sump. The plan is to use the center of the megaflow model 3 as a refugium, then use the hang on back overflow to fill the 10g as a secondary refugium, then separating the end of the 10g for return pump. I'm up for any advice or tips. I've tried attatching some pics. Hope they help. Any and all help would be appreciates. Thanks!
With the setup you have, how do you ensure the overflow restarts after a power loss? If you want to keep using the tanks you have, I would drill the Model 3 on the wall and put in bulkheads. Run pipes to the 10g. My refugium is seperate from my sump, and I drill the wall a couple inches from the top to drain into my sump.

JP Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2015, 01:21 PM   #4
KrazyKuch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Reef View Post
With the setup you have, how do you ensure the overflow restarts after a power loss? If you want to keep using the tanks you have, I would drill the Model 3 on the wall and put in bulkheads. Run pipes to the 10g. My refugium is seperate from my sump, and I drill the wall a couple inches from the top to drain into my sump.
+1

Best to have a new sump but this would be the best way with the equipment you have!

KrazyKuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2015, 12:16 AM   #5
qcksilver127
Registered Member

Exclamation Rough setup for refugium/sump

This is what I have accomplished tonight. Going to use the model 3 as a 25g refugium. I'm going to remove the bio balls. Have the water run through the filter at the top. The bottom will have a sand bed with live rock and plants. ill use the overflow into the 10g until I can have it drilled. The 10g will contain heater, protein skimmer and return pump. Am I headed in the right direction? Or is this idiocy lol. I have unplugged it, nothing overflows, and everything goes back to flowing normal when plugged back in. I know there are easier and cleaner ways to do this, I just like being creative and repurposing things I have. Any and all imput would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.3 KB, 26 views)
qcksilver127 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy sump, filter, flow, refugium