Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/17/2018, 08:17 AM   #1
flamehawk2
Registered Member

Semi reef stocking levels for 700g custom tank

Yes I am taking a deep dive back into the hobby! custom making a 700g tank measurement 7’ Long’s 3’ deep and 4 1/2 feet high. It will have a 120g sump with wet/dry and protein skimmers, A+ lighting.

I want to focus on the fish so it w/b semi reef in that it will have live sand and rock as well as mushrooms, polyps, bubble anemones (for the clowns of course!), lots of clean up crews.

Here's the question....fish stocking level: Keeping in mind adult sizes for these fish, I’m thinking about the following stocking level: 1 of each- Emperor, Scribble and majestic and flame angel’s, 1 each Yellow, Naso, hippo and powder blue tangs, 3 pairs of clown fish, 8 chromis damsels, 1flamehawk, &1 royal gramma. (Some have suggested adding 2 yellow tangs for a group of 3 total and do Same with flame angels and royal gramma.) Let me know what you think. SO exciting! Thanks! Flamehawk

Remember the three f's -family,friends and fish!

Current Tank Info: 625g (water volume) custom semi reef w/166g refugium/sump.
flamehawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 10:41 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Sounds like totally acceptable stocking levels IMO for that size tank..
Enjoy..
That is certainly taking a deep dive back with a tank that big..
Thats way too much water/work for me..

Unread 08/17/2018, 11:48 AM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Tangs could be trouble, especially with a Powder Blue.
I started with 5 Purple Tangs & slowly went downward after someone getting picked on would have to be removed. 7 ft. is not that long for tangs.
Majestics can be finicky too, they are a shy fish that would have to go in 1st. I think the Emp. should be last of the angels.
Any Angel questions should be directed to Copps on the forum.

Unread 08/17/2018, 01:15 PM   #4
sfdan
Registered Member

I don't mean to derail the thread in terms of stocking, but I'd strongly consider a larger sump size. The equipment for a 700 gallon tank is all going to be very large... large pumps, large skimmer, large media reactors, large everything. You'll run out of room really quickly in a 120 gallon. In addition to the fact that you are dealing with lots of water volume in terms of tank turnover and/or back-siphoning in case of power outage. Nobody ever regrets having a sump too big, but lots of people regret having one too small. You'll have a ton of space underneath that huge tank and I really recommend a larger sump, maybe something in the 200-300 gallon range.

sfdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 03:36 PM   #5
scottwhitson
Registered Member

I tried to have 2 sets of clowns in a 600 gallon and was not successful. They would travel the whole length of the tank to fight and wouldn't stop until the smaller set would get under the rocks and hide for hours. Ended up pulling one pair out and putting them in a tank by themselves.

scottwhitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 07:02 AM   #6
flamehawk2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwhitson View Post
I tried to have 2 sets of clowns in a 600 gallon and was not successful. They would travel the whole length of the tank to fight and wouldn't stop until the smaller set would get under the rocks and hide for hours. Ended up pulling one pair out and putting them in a tank by themselves.
Wow...need to rethink then. Thx.

Unread 08/18/2018, 07:03 AM   #7
flamehawk2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdan View Post
I don't mean to derail the thread in terms of stocking, but I'd strongly consider a larger sump size. The equipment for a 700 gallon tank is all going to be very large... large pumps, large skimmer, large media reactors, large everything. You'll run out of room really quickly in a 120 gallon. In addition to the fact that you are dealing with lots of water volume in terms of tank turnover and/or back-siphoning in case of power outage. Nobody ever regrets having a sump too big, but lots of people regret having one too small. You'll have a ton of space underneath that huge tank and I really recommend a larger sump, maybe something in the 200-300 gallon range.
Great suggestion. Thx

Unread 08/18/2018, 07:10 AM   #8
flamehawk2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Tangs could be trouble, especially with a Powder Blue.
I started with 5 Purple Tangs & slowly went downward after someone getting picked on would have to be removed. 7 ft. is not that long for tangs.
Majestics can be finicky too, they are a shy fish that would have to go in 1st. I think the Emp. should be last of the angels.
Any Angel questions should be directed to Copps on the forum.
I have also found purples to be aggressive and very bold so left off list. They are beautiful though. Have had yellow, hippo, and powder in a 150g in past. Besides occasional jousting, they did ok for long time until I went overseas and had to sell them along with my set up and 5 other 55g saltwater tanks. As they say....”I’m back!”....