Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/24/2008, 11:39 PM   #26
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

I'm going to have to drain the fuge the skimmer chamber to avoid microbubbles in the main tank. Some pods might get sucked up by the skimmer but I'm hoping most will make it through.

Mr. Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2008, 12:17 AM   #27
goochesfish
Registered Member

Is the point of the fuge to feed and grow the macroalgae? I thought it was to use the macroalgae as another filter to remove even more nitrates and to provide a safe haven for copeopods. On the other hand, if the fuge is fed from the DT, the water going to the skimmer and phosphate reactor is cleaner which means less cleaning and media changes. It is cheaper to harvest macoralgae than to buy more GFO. I guess there is no wrong way. It is however you can get all components of filtration to fit in the space you have.

goochesfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2008, 06:21 AM   #28
uhuru
Registered Member

yes I don't think it makes TOO much difference one way or the other in our systems, it really comes down to maintenance preference... do you prefer to clean your fuge regularly, your sump, skimmer, filter socks, etc.??? whatever takes the DT water first will have to be cleaned the most. I think it's easier to vacuum a BB tank than change filter socks, clean a skimmer, etc... I know there are quite successful systems that have a separate tank that is solely there to take the DT water and let the detritus settle, before draining into an equipment sump.

Unread 10/25/2008, 07:04 AM   #29
sjm817
On Yer left!

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulieWalnuts
how well does your macro grow that way...i just thought that if it ran through carbon and rowaphos, and the skimmer that it would not feed the macro enough to grow?? does that make sense?
It grows great. I harvest out a couple gallon sized bags every week. There is still plenty of nutrients to grow the macro without having a pile of detritus in the fuge to have to clean out. I run a skimmer and carbon, but dont use CFO,

In my setup, letting the filter socks and skimmer deal with that is far easier than having to clean out the fuge. I change the filter socks and clean out the skimmer cup once a week anyway.

Unread 10/25/2008, 04:19 PM   #30
das75
Registered Member

My fuge sits above my sump and I've got a Tee in one on the two drains to feed it. Do find detritus settling as no filter sock but when doing a water change I'll siphon the tank, then some from the fuge. As the fuge is BB it doesn't take much to get it cleaned out.

das75 is offline   Reply With Quote