Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/29/2007, 04:02 AM   #1
adtravels
you cant buy blue fingers

How much rowaphos to put in my phosban reactor?

I have a 60 gall cube tank (75 gall) total vol how much rowaphos shall i put in it
as the min amount of phosban is recommended as 250 ml( i presume to have the desired fluidised effect) but if I put that amount of rowaphos in it will be 4 times the dose ( for 1000l of water).
I can get it flowing through really slow at first is this acceptable?
the tank has only fish, shrimp and anemones in it.

solutions welcome, i dont really want to mix it with gac.

thanks

False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon 36x24x24 reef
adtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2007, 05:33 AM   #2
95accord
Registered Member

i heard you should start off with a small dose...like 1/3ish the recomended dose....once the phosban reactor has settled with the tank...then add larger volume.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1237108

Current Tank Info: Reef 2.0 - 45 Osaka cube
95accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2007, 06:28 AM   #3
DarG
Registered Member

I have the small TLF Phosban reactor. It states 120 grams (I think it's grams) as a minimum. I have a 90. I use about 70 - 80 grams and replace it every month or 6 weeks. It works fine as I am easily able to get the minor slow boiling effect that is recommended for fluidization of the GFO. I use a Mini Jet 606.

DarG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2007, 08:19 AM   #4
OliverM3
Registered Member

I run 150g for my 76g.
I see people using less then recommended and I don't understand why.

The instructions say to run a minimum of 130g in a reactor.
And a max of 200g

My take on the instructions on how many grams it takes of phosban per gallon is just for you to gauge if you need to run more then one reactor or fill a reactor with more media then 130g.
not to run less then 130g on a smaller tank.

OliverM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2007, 09:29 AM   #5
adtravels

I put about a 2 inch depth. ALOT of crap washed through that small amount I used about a gallon and a half of ro water flushed through the system from 1 bucket to the other even on a slow flow. Red.
I then siphoned the ro out through the inlet and filled it with tank water.
It is slow boiling now although it takes some tweaking and the uppermost particles are very small but not getting sucked out with the current flow rate.

The bubbling was not even at first as the media had clumped so i rolled the reactor and it evened the rowa out.
Also I like the blast flush idea done weekly to prevent clumping as long as you stop it before it goes to the return.

False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Unread 10/29/2007, 09:47 AM   #6
saltysupply
Moved On

use a small pump like a mj400....start off with a low amount of rowa so your inhabitants dont get shocked.....gradually add more of a few weeks....also rinse the rowa in ro water till its clear before you put it in the reactor

saltysupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2007, 10:16 AM   #7
adtravels

done and done

Unread 10/29/2007, 10:29 AM   #8
DarG
Registered Member

There is no reason why you would have to use the amount TLF recommends for the reactor in order to maintain a non measurable Phosphate level and for the GFO to be effective in the reactor. But it would sell more of their media if thats the brand one is using.
I have two brands of GFO and one of them recommends 1 tablespoon per 25 gallons. The other is bulk from Two Part Solution and has no label.

From the Reefkeeping article "Iron Oxide Hydroxide (GFO) Phosphate Binders" authored by Randy Holmes-Farley

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/index.php

"Using a smaller amount of material, and changing it more frequently, may also be less stressful. Salifert recommends using 250 mL (8.5 ounces) of its product (Phosphate Killer) to treat a 125-250 gallon tank for up to three months. There is, however, nothing wrong with starting with 1/10 that amount to see what happens. While it may be more work, using one ounce and changing it after two weeks may reduce some of the issues that aquarists have observed when changing the media."

Unread 10/29/2007, 11:09 AM   #9
OliverM3
Registered Member

I would think that running small amounts of media would cause it to get beat up more and break down.

Once your phosphates are under control adding the max capacity of media shouldn't stress anything because there wouldn't be any sudden drop of phosphates only a longer duration that the media would last.

Either way it does work well to reduce your phosphates.
And I haven't noticed any issues due to running 150g of phosban.

I've only recently began running the phosban reactors so I'm just learning myself.

OliverM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2007, 11:50 AM   #10
DarG
Registered Member

I suppose if you are using a pump on a reactor that gently "boils" the surface media when the reactor is loaded with 150 grams but tumbles it too violently with 70 grams, then pulverizong the media would be an issue. But the smaller amount that I use is just being agitated at the surface in the reactor, like it should be so it hasnt been an issue. The smaller amount has been working for me over the past 9 or 10 months since I started using it.
I dont think that there either method is right or wrong. I just prefer to use less media.

Only thing is that I am beginning to wonder if the use of GFO is inhibiting the growth of coralline algae in my tank. I dont think it should be but it's the only thing that I can think of. It's the only variable that is really different compared to my old tank. Different thread though.

Unread 10/29/2007, 01:29 PM   #11
jessezm
Registered Member

After starting to use GFO in my tank recently, I've noticed large flakes of coralline falling off the glass and dying, too. The hair algae is alive and well, though...

The only other change has been the introduction of the "pappone method" of feeding, which includes some sugar addition. Don't know which is the more plausible explanation...

jessezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2007, 02:37 PM   #12
DarG
Registered Member

hmmmmm ... I dont have any nuisance algae. My Coralline on the rocks is not dying off at all. I have had some very minor growth on the glass, powerheads, maybe a little on the rocks. But not where I think it should be. I dont think your sugar additions would cause your die off. There are some gluconated calcium supplements that are supposed to help coralline growth and that is basically like adding sugar if Im not mistaken.

Unread 10/29/2007, 07:26 PM   #13
adtravels

Just for referance are the particle at the madia water interface supposed to be very very fine. I.E .2mm to .5mm.

fyi i went for the recommended dose and no reaction from the nems as yet.