Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/19/2005, 01:44 AM   #1
1tankneverenuff
Registered Member

Octopus...suggestions with species, tanks size, etc.

What up everyone? First of all, I'm happy to finally find a site that has a **** load of members with a **** load of posts . Also, seen lots of posts about eels, one of my favorite types of aquatic animals...freshwater and saltwater. But, let's get down to business. I'm looking at getting an octopus. I'm not sure what kind just yet, nor what is really available out there to hobbyists. He will be by himself of course, not trying to have a slaughter fest in any of my tanks. I will be having a custom 55 gallon built for him, is this a good enough size for one little guy or does it need to be bigger? Again, I need help selecting the right species/type (octopus) for me. I also know they are extremely curious and are like mice, squeezing themselves into whatever hole they can find. This is the reason for having the custom acryllic 55 gallon built. Also, what do they mainly feed on? Meats, live food, etc.? Well, I think that's it...can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

Current Tank Info: (1) 55g FW, (1) 33g FW, (1) 10g FW, soon to have another 55g SW.
1tankneverenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2005, 01:22 PM   #2
cirri
Registered Member

The size will be fine depending on the species you plan to keep. A bimac would be ideal and you can get them captive bred, which is best considering their short life span, and that it is usually the older or ill ones that are easily caught in the wild. Plan on crabs, clams, shrimps, fish for food. While young they will mostly accept live foods, and as the get older you can usually get them to take frozen. Plan on lots of food and water changes. I live in Jax to so I may call your shop I have never heard of it. Best of luck octos are a blast, I am about to get another!

cirri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2005, 01:18 AM   #3
1tankneverenuff
Registered Member

After my research, I think I'll start with a bimac. Also, what is their average life span? A couple years? I'll just play around with the live foods and meats, see what he/she likes best after a while. And feel free to call or drop by the shop any time. And you're getting another octo, what kind? Thanks for the great reply!

Current Tank Info: (1) 55g FW, (1) 33g FW, (1) 10g FW, soon to have another 55g SW.

Last edited by wizardgus®; 03/11/2005 at 03:24 AM.
Unread 02/22/2005, 07:10 AM   #4
cirri
Registered Member

Bimacs are a great intro choice, and since available captive bred one I prefer anyways over wild caught. Therefore, I will definately go that route again on my new addition. Just moved 1 of my tanks to my office from the house and shifting a lot of stuff around before I order. Average life expentancy is not very long for almost all octos. Bimacs can live up to 16-18 months, although that is a stretch, usually about a year or just under seems the average when done properly. GPO can live 3 to 5 years, while dwarfs or pygmys are usually about 4-6 mos. This is as true in the wild as in aquaria. Fire away if you need any more info!! Best of luck...going to check out your website.

Unread 02/23/2005, 01:34 AM   #5
1tankneverenuff
Registered Member

You've been a great help man! I really appreciate it. I will definitely stick with a Bimac, but what is a GPO and where can I get more information on them? One last thing, I'm still working on programming the site. We just got it setup for the intro page. For now, we will be focusing mainly on selling wet/dry filters online.

Unread 02/23/2005, 07:40 AM   #6
cirri
Registered Member

No problem, glad to be of assistance! GPO -is a Giant Pacific Octo they get huge, was only mentioning them as an example. However, you can find info at cephbase If you are going with a 55 gal, a Bimac would suit you best. go to octopets or fishsupply - who usually gets theirs from octopets, for a captive bred one.

I noticed that about your site, so no live goods right now then huh?

Unread 02/24/2005, 01:20 AM   #7
1tankneverenuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cirri
I noticed that about your site, so no live goods right now then huh?
You live in Jacksonville right? Just stop by the store for live goods .