Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/09/2009, 06:30 PM   #1
MatthewLaw
Registered Member

Cleaning Acrylic Tank?? Tough ALgae

Greetings All- I have some tough algae on my acrylic tank. How can I remove it? If can get streaks of it gone with my nail but otherwise ones of those magnetic cleaners isn't strong enough.

What about a razor blade? my concern is this is an acrylic tank which can scratch easily.

Thanks!

MatthewLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2009, 06:42 PM   #2
DEERE G
Passing Through

Kent Marine plastic scraper.

Current Tank Info: DRY
DEERE G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2009, 06:45 PM   #3
MatthewLaw
Registered Member

nice. thanks for the recommendation

Unread 12/09/2009, 06:49 PM   #4
albano
SALTWATER since '73

another piece of acrylic will easily remove coraline, do not use razor blades

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2009, 06:50 PM   #5
MatthewLaw
Registered Member

will another piece of acrylic scratch the aquarium?

Unread 12/09/2009, 07:03 PM   #6
DEERE G
Passing Through

I have also witnessed a credit card used to clean acrylic. That also seemed to work well.

Current Tank Info: DRY
DEERE G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2009, 07:03 PM   #7
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewLaw View Post
will another piece of acrylic scratch the aquarium?
NO...another RC member advised me of this trick, and it works great!

My 450g acrylic build
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...fish-free.html

Unread 12/09/2009, 07:07 PM   #8
MatthewLaw
Registered Member

oh cool. i will try that.

Unread 12/09/2009, 09:47 PM   #9
troylee
Moved On

All the things mentioned above will scratch the inside of a acrylic tank...the best thing to use is the white scraper pads and elbow grease....the kents scraper does some damage....I learned this after I drained my big tank...the scratches are invisible when it has water in it but the minute you drain it be prepared....hth..

troylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2009, 09:49 PM   #10
MatthewLaw
Registered Member

what white scraper pads?

Unread 12/09/2009, 10:18 PM   #11
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by troylee View Post
the scratches are invisible when it has water in it but the minute you drain it be prepared....
Am I missing something? If the tank turns purple without water in it, who cares? "the scratches are invisible when it has water in it"
FWIW, I have used acrylic 'scrapers' on empty tanks (as well as full), covered in coraline, which are NOW filled with water, and they look great

Unread 12/09/2009, 11:50 PM   #12
troylee
Moved On

not here to argue...just state facts... i do acrylic for a living and i try my best to give the best advice i can.....with that said it is'nt a big deal if there is water in it but what about down the road when you go to sell it???? when you drain the tank and it is scratched to crap????then it comes to a very big deal....a tank worth a grand is now worthless to most, when they walk up on a tank, and it is full of scratches....just my 2..... these work best...
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4063

Unread 12/10/2009, 04:23 AM   #13
terri_ann
Registered Member

+1 troylee...I have a 90's acrylic tank. Only use acrylic scrubber pads (white) and elbow grease. Once cleaned, use an acrylic mag float daily ;-)

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed 40B Anemone 5' raceway frag tank
terri_ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2009, 12:50 PM   #14
mkenny1818
Registered Member

NO on a RAZOR!!!!!! yep the red kent marine blades work well. Also the old style handle with a white acrylic pads work well with some effort.. just be careful about a piece of sand getting in there.. you wont even notice it until its to late

mkenny1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2009, 12:52 PM   #15
squidy3
Moved On

Plastic on plastic...

squidy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2009, 08:04 PM   #16
hebygb
Registered Member

I have used both the red plastic scrapers as well as the white pads. Both work.... but I agree with Troylee... use the pads, then be more regular with the magnet cleaner.

hebygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2009, 10:04 PM   #17
Amp2020
Registered Member

I'd love to see someone clean the back of my coraline algae covered tank with nothing more than a white scrubber pad. If I had a 150 gallon tank there is no way that I'd even consider using a white pad instead of an acrylic scrapper.

Make it easier on yourself. Use an acrylic scrapper for now and buy a buffer and some Novus before trying to sell it. A 75-120 gallon tank can have those fine scratches removed in about 1-3 hours with a car buffer and Novus compound. Don't make this harder than it needs to be.

Current Tank Info: None.
Amp2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2009, 10:41 PM   #18
troylee
Moved On

with regular tank maintence its a piece of cake....if you let it get out of hand then it becomes problematic....when i drain tanks i soak them in vinegar and blast with the hose it all comes off no need for scrubbing...

Unread 12/11/2009, 08:55 AM   #19
mcoomer
Rat Bastard!

I use an algae free Tiger Shark magnet with the white pad on the interior magnet and a microfiber cloth under the exterior magnet. I also have a sandpaper kit that I bought from algae free that attaches to the inside magnet and can be used to remove scratches without draining the water. Grits run from 1500 up to 6000 and I no longer have a single spot of algae on the inside of the tank. No scratches either. Kit costs $55 and comes with 4 1500 grit pads and 2 1800, 2400, 3200, 3600, 4000, and 6000 grit pads. I just finished doing the entire front pane of my tank and it looks great. I plan on keeping it that way by running the magnet with the white pad to remove algae and the6000 grit pad to polish as necessary.

Mike

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon mixed reef; Reeflo Barracuda, Tunze 6105 (X3), 250W Radiums with dual HQI Blue Wave 7, Reefkeeper Elite controller, custom sump with ASM G4, carbon and GFO reactors

Last edited by mcoomer; 12/11/2009 at 09:01 AM.
mcoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2009, 09:56 AM   #20
saf1
Registered Member

I think it was Troylee that gave the single best piece of advise so far and that is to honestly stay "REGULAR" on your "TANK MAINTENCE". Speaking from experience here on both "irregular tank maintence" and acrylic equals scratches, more work, and total frustration.

If you have a sand bottom then you REALLY need to be careful as pointed out above. The white pads several people pointed out already along with weekly maintence you shouldn't have any issues. Just allow yourself plenty of time to work around whatever substraight you have so you don't get anything caught in the pad. Same with any magnets you may use. My nephew in his younger days played with mine and got some sand in between which scratched my tank majorly It happens.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2009, 11:10 PM   #21
Amp2020
Registered Member

Keeping up with regular tank maintenance is great advice but are you suggesting that some of us are not staying on top of it? Every setup is different and I've seen great tanks that grow tuff algae in LESS than a week. So doing regular maintenance is not a very helpful piece of advice. Once the algae starts to grow, some people are left with the question of how to clean it. Razors and metal scrappers will leave visible scratches but plastic/acrylic scrappers won't. Even scrubbing pads can cause scratches if sand gets stuck in it. Here's how I do it. Take a small piece of acrylic and cut an edge straight. Then use a belt sander to smooth it perfectly flat. This scrapper is used to remove the tuff green algae and coraline algae. The easy to remove type can be delt with a white pad but I never get close to the sand bottom. Instead I use a toothbrush. Have never had any visible scratches by using this method. Yes there are scratches that can be seen if the tank is drained but my tanks normally have water in them.

Current Tank Info: None.
Amp2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2009, 11:28 PM   #22
terri_ann
Registered Member

I don't think anyone was or is trying to imply that someone is lax in doing tank maintenance. Those that are surely know who they are and will either just live with it or spend more of their time maintaining their tank when they decide to do it.

Personally with my 135 acrylic tank that I've had since the early 1990's, I always used the white acrylic scrubbers. After the invention of the mag floats, this is what I have used. Every day before I feed my tankmates, I use the mag float taking about 2 minutes to go over the sides and front. I then use the long handled acrylic scrubber for the back side; about another 2 minutes. I haven't had problems with hard algae ever because of my short daily routine....end of story

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed 40B Anemone 5' raceway frag tank
terri_ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2009, 10:39 AM   #23
mcoomer
Rat Bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terri_ann View Post
I don't think anyone was or is trying to imply that someone is lax in doing tank maintenance.
I'll say it....YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF SLACKERS! There, I said it!

Mike

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon mixed reef; Reeflo Barracuda, Tunze 6105 (X3), 250W Radiums with dual HQI Blue Wave 7, Reefkeeper Elite controller, custom sump with ASM G4, carbon and GFO reactors
mcoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2009, 10:44 AM   #24
tangdiver
Premium Member

Scraperite plastic razor blades.....cheap....

Current Tank Info: 6' long, 3' wide, 2' high, My tank is not worthy of Tank of the Month
tangdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2009, 11:43 AM   #25
MatthewLaw
Registered Member

need something stronger

I will need to try the acrylic scraper or plastic razor blade b/c the standard marineland scrapper is not getting the algae off. the only way i can get it off is with my nail and that takes awhile to even get small portions done...