Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/06/2015, 09:19 AM   #26
Dave & Monica
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayondai View Post
Great info on both of your options.

In either case what are the minimum and maximum temps you would ship Sps or zoas, etc....

I didn't see the heat packs anywhere. Maybe I just missed it?
There may be cheaper ones, but I order these.
http://www.marinedepot.com/miscellan...warmer-ap.html

I addressed heat ranges on the first page, post #4, item H

Dave & Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 10:26 AM   #27
bayondai
Registered Member

Sorry I missed that part about the temps. The reason I was asking is someone asked me to ship some sps, zoas and a chalice but his low temps were around 1-20 at night. I was hoping for closer to 30 for the low. So you think above 10-15 degrees is somewhat safe?

bayondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2015, 10:43 AM   #28
Dave & Monica
Registered Member

I'd personally wait, that's just my opinion. Zoas aren't the issue, it's the SPS.

Unread 02/06/2015, 11:04 AM   #29
bayondai
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Monica View Post
I'd personally wait, that's just my opinion. Zoas aren't the issue, it's the SPS.

Thanks for the info!

bayondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2015, 11:32 PM   #30
buy_baff
Registered Member

I have to ship a frag from Iowa to Florida. My concern is that when the package gets to Florida it will overheat from the heat pack. Is this a valid concern?

Unread 02/09/2015, 11:37 PM   #31
Dave & Monica
Registered Member

Reality is the heat pack consumes all the air in the box, and the small hole is enough to keep the heat pack barely warm. I don't have a crystal ball, but I'd think there would be a problem.

Unread 02/13/2015, 12:44 PM   #32
Dave & Monica
Registered Member

So last month I shipped a package out and had a problem, where I had to go pick up the box I had sent, unpack it, after the box had sat at the FedEx facility all night. The following week these corals were repackaged, and reshipped with no problem. Also, for the first time, I had to ship a coral package in state, and learned a lot from that too. Here are my notes.

It was an experience (hope one not to have to do again) on unpacking one of my own shipments. First though, the story: My FedEx Priority Express drop off time is 6:00 pm. I target to get the package there between 5-5:30 which allows me time if any issues should arise during packaging. In this case, I was there and tendered the coral package at 5:15, no problem, right? Wrong. There were signs that I now know - should have been red flags, but those signs didn't cross me as odd at the time. BOTTOM LINE: Ask the clerk: Priority Express shipments didn't leave for the airport yet for the day - Right? This ensures the express truck did not get there early that day, as that was the root cause of this whole issue. In a nut shell, the express truck had passed by an hour early, and the employee tendering my package apparently didn't know. Further, as I explained on the first page of notes, you print your own shipping label so the clerk shouldn't be printing and sticking anything onto your box. If they are, RED FLAG, ask what they are doing. In my case, it was a new label, with a new priority tag. This was a Thursday, a package delivery for Friday by 1200pm (not 1030 which is something else I need to explore why). Anyhow, the new label said Monday... Which I doubt any of the corals would have arrived alive. Again, I didn't think a new label was odd and got my receipt, and left. Went home and added the buyers and my email address to the routing tracking number via the FedEx site. Still at this point, nothing seemed odd or wrong; not until the next morning. I normally have a few emails showing the movement of the package, for me in Denver, it usually always goes through Tennessee. Point being I knew something was off as there were no updates. I left for work (damn job getting in the way of my hobby again) and while at work, I looked online to see the package seemed to be at the first point drop off location. I called FedEx, and they said I missed the drop off time. I knew that was wrong and after explaining, they agreed and called the facility while I was on hold. They came back and told me the truck came early because there was forecasted inclamental weather in Denver. It was cold, but we didn't have snow but again, no one told me and I didn't ask. They ensured my package was held and I left to go pickup and unpackage the box. By the time I got there, and got home it was 10am. That's the average time my packages arrive to their destination so I decided to test the water temp of the corals I was unpacking
The corals inside were between 75.4 and 76.6 which is completely fine. Still though, the box didn't leave the closed facility, and it was cold out that night, 20's. Putting another heat pack in the small box I feel is more a risk, but I don't know how much lower the temp would have gone inside the frag water. There isn't an exact science but I've thought if shipping where the temp are between 20-35 deg, of putting a gel pack at the bottom of the box (heated to 80 deg so the heat can slowing resonate). I've never asked anyone to measure the temp but to be honest, I know from getting packages there are enough things for me to worry about and do, measuring temp water isn't one of them.

Shipping in state, I've heard and seen on FedEx site that one day delivery is possible for a large range extending from my city to most of my state, and even into some portions of surrounding states. Shipping ground is a heck of a lot cheaper than priority overnight. However, the fine print is this. Nothing is guaranteed and it can take up to 3 days. UPS was a lot cheaper than FedEx when shipping closer, so through my Shipnex account, I decided to try UPS. All and all it was the same, package and contents got there without a hitch. What I learned was ground is risky, so I don't have the warm fuzzy to trust it. Still, it was only $22 to ship where I normally see between $40-60.

Unread 03/06/2015, 01:41 PM   #33
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Monica View Post
Shipping ground is a heck of a lot cheaper than priority overnight. However, the fine print is this. Nothing is guaranteed and it can take up to 3 days.
I just had an issue with Fedex on that one, it took them 6 days to get a package 14 miles even though it was guaranteed to be there overnight. Definitely riskier going that route...

Unread 03/15/2015, 01:51 PM   #34
organism
code monkey

I wanted to add, I recently had to ship out two big boxes of corals for trades and it was a PITA with the specimen cups. They're amazing for smaller orders, but if you're packing 20+ corals into a box it's gonna get pretty big... Let's just say I'm back to owning a bag sealer. I prefer the cups for normal shipments since imo the corals get less stressed from floating instead of being squished into the side of a bag, but for 10+ frags a bag sealer is better. Happy to own both now, good options

Unread 03/15/2015, 02:07 PM   #35
msderganc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by organism View Post
I wanted to add, I recently had to ship out two big boxes of corals for trades and it was a PITA with the specimen cups. They're amazing for smaller orders, but if you're packing 20+ corals into a box it's gonna get pretty big... Let's just say I'm back to owning a bag sealer. I prefer the cups for normal shipments since imo the corals get less stressed from floating instead of being squished into the side of a bag, but for 10+ frags a bag sealer is better. Happy to own both now, good options
Thanks for the update! I've used some bigger containers with holes cut in the bottom for small colonies which worked well.

Current Tank Info: 75g SPS ReefSavvy in the Works (prior: 260g SPS heavy system, 70g prop system, 29g Biocube)
msderganc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2017, 08:06 PM   #36
Ls2Goat
Registered Member

Any updates on this?
I've been looking at fedex quotes and they range from $90-$120 for a 6x6x6 5lb box 10:30am overnight delivery.
Is this accurate?
It so how are people shipping for $45-$60?

Ls2Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2018, 12:19 AM   #37
HBL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls2Goat View Post
Any updates on this?
I've been looking at fedex quotes and they range from $90-$120 for a 6x6x6 5lb box 10:30am overnight delivery.
Is this accurate?
It so how are people shipping for $45-$60?
I heard of suggestions to sign up with shipnex as they often about a third cheaper than FedEx or UPS quotes. I haven't use them personally, but I'm looking to ship some corals in the future and been reading up on suggestions. Hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

HBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2018, 08:35 AM   #38
Ls2Goat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBL View Post
I heard of suggestions to sign up with shipnex as they often about a third cheaper than FedEx or UPS quotes. I haven't use them personally, but I'm looking to ship some corals in the future and been reading up on suggestions. Hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks I'll look into them

Ls2Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2018, 09:46 AM   #39
dz6t
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by organism View Post
I just had an issue with Fedex on that one, it took them 6 days to get a package 14 miles even though it was guaranteed to be there overnight. Definitely riskier going that route...
That is why I use UPS ground. Never miss a beat in the past several years.

dz6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2019, 10:52 AM   #40
Dave & Monica
Registered Member

All, I got out of the hobby in 4/2015 for a lot of reasons. One of which is the hobby turned more into a business as I had large colonies, and couldn't frag fast enough. Yea, poor me. Anyhow, I got back in a few months ago, and now at the receiving end. I had a lot of PMs asking me about shipping, and obviously wasn't plugged into RC when I didn't have a tank. I don't know if anyone ever did a separate post of there are better ways... from getting a few fish orders, I'd say not much changed in 3 yrs.