Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/14/2018, 10:54 PM   #26
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Light diffuser/eggcrate exactly what it is. Go to lowes or HD and look for it, it's in the lighting section and labeled light diffuser. It's meant to go on industial lighting fixtures, and it is large enough for fish to jump through.
That's exactly what I use, and don't have a single salt water fish which could make it through there. Even small clowns would bang their little heads pretty bad. I've never had a single jump, and I've been using it for a long time. I learned about it from other aquarists.

I also cannot tell the difference in light from a bare top to the egg crate. The inverts don't seem to either. It's actually made NOT to restrict light. I should have called a "lighting panel" NOT a diffuser.

Because of scratches and salt spray, I've found egg crate restricts light less than glass or plastic.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2018, 12:32 AM   #27
Tastee
Registered Member

I use an Artfully Acrylic custom top with Acrylic mesh (1/4”). No noticeable impact on light intensity, 98% open for gas exchange, aesthetically great. Not cheap but a quality product.

BRS sells DIY versions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2018, 06:46 AM   #28
alton
Registered Member

When I had my 300 I used the BRS screen that I purchased from my LFS. It worked great never lost a jawfish, the only issue was the screen was not UV rated and I had to replace every couple of years which was no big deal but I went through two Trane fan blower motors on my ac. Since going to my 180 with glass tops no issues. In my office I have always had either a glass top or Poly carbonate to help with dust and cleaning people.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2018, 08:15 AM   #29
EMeyer
Registered Member

Why would anyone use plexiglass/acrylic instead of glass for this application? More expensive and much worse light transmission.

My tank top is a piece of glass I bought at HD and cut to order. I think it cost $8. Perfect light transmission, cheap, no holes for jumpers.

I hear the concerns about gas exchange but if you have a sump and a skimmer (and why wouldnt you?), you already have more than enough gas exchange.

EMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2018, 02:44 PM   #30
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Besides breaking, glass tops get a cloudy/milky haze over time. But for $8, I guess you could replace it.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2018, 01:34 AM   #31
dkevink
Registered Member

People put light diffuser on their lights, so why would this be a bad thing. You would have to have very small fish to jump threw the holes.

dkevink is offline   Reply With Quote