Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/24/2018, 08:30 PM   #26
PyroSteve
Registered Member

Hey I would rather be told now then find out the hard way later. Glad you said something.

I took them out. The one baffle closest to the end was really snug so that had me concerned. It was pretty easy the sealant had not fully cured and I filled it with water and let it soak for a few hours. Oh well, live and learn.

Still had a little time to set up the rockscape...

0421182038 HDR resized

PyroSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 05:51 PM   #27
PyroSteve
Registered Member

Had to take a break and put together some funds after going over budget with my biggest purchase yet, a used DA Reefkeeper Lite NET. I got a good deal from a fellow forum member. As a newbie to reefing, I figured this was a good investment to help protect the livestock and when adding up $$ for a power rack, ato and temp controller, it made sense. Now I just need to figure out how to work the darn thing!!

In the meantime I went back and cut 1/8” off the baffles for expansion and put the sump back together. I added a sponge and media shelf in case of micro bubbles and if I need to run carbon. I also added a center brace to the tank and some waterproof strip LEDs that I had leftover from a DIY light to the cabinet for some interior lighting.

0512182234a_resized

This week I was able to make some more headway. I received a UFO refugium LED and a 300W Titanium Heater. I’ve read both good and bad reviews about the UFO LED. I have a CFL bulb and light but it’s tight quarters under the cabinet so I took a chance with LED. We’ll see how that works (Note: I wonder who they’re marketing these to just by looking at the box? ). The heater looks pretty good. Haven’t wet it yet but it’s heavy and solid. I got this one because I could only find 100-150W under 11”. If it’s a true 300W, it’s a great price too. The only downside was the clip broke from me manhandling it to different spots in the sump and it’s in C not F. I got a new cheap guard and it’ll be run on the RKL so neither were a big deal to me.

0515182153_resized

Got all the wiring done. Whew! It was a rats nest at first! I may need 14 outlets to run all I want!

0515182152_HDR_resized

I can almost taste the saltwater!

0515181302_resized

This week’s total:
UFO LED $24
300W titanium Heater $18 + $4 guard
and the Wavewmaker is on the way!

Unread 06/17/2018, 09:42 PM   #28
PyroSteve
Registered Member

Update to the tank Journal....

Got my wavemaker, a CP-90. This is the supposed 2018 new and improved upgrade from the CP-25. First thing I noticed was they removed the reverse flow mode. I’m guessing because of all the motor failure issues with the original CP series. It's louder than I would have liked but I’ve heard a lot of this design make some noise. No real reviews on this so I’m a guinea pig on this one. To be continued....

CP-90 $75
0520181237_resized

Also put together a simple ATO. I had a 12v DC pump and adapter so I bought a RO 1/4” fitting, 30 ft. of tubing and a 7 gal. Aqua-tainer.

I had to notch the top of the container but that was it. I wanted to get as large a container I could. I figuring on 1/2-3/4 gal. of evap per day so the 7 gallon should give me 10-14 days between refills.

0525181921a_resized

The ATO will be hook up to the Reefkeeper on a float switch. The container will be kept in a closet about 18 ft. away with the tubing run along the baseboard (with my cable line) and into the sump. The pump is 800 lph (200 gph) and 5m max head. I did a test and the pump seems to be up to the task. It’s pumping a little less than a quart/min through 30 ft. of tube and up 3 ft. into the slop sink.

0525182001_resized

so far so good....

ATO = PC pump, Adapter, Aqua-Tainer, Fitting & Tubing - $44

Unread 11/27/2018, 02:49 PM   #29
Elijahh
Registered Member

Any updates on your build?

Elijahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2019, 08:54 PM   #30
PyroSteve
Registered Member

Unfortunately just when I was about to finish up I had some problems with my in-wall FW tank. Ironically, the center brace cracked so I had to replace the tank and then a case of “while I’m at it” kicked in and I ended up redoing the FW sump and a bunch of other changes I’ve been wanting to do to it. That pretty much took all my extra time and $$ for a few months. But good news is I pretty much finished the nano tank! It’s up and running in the home office and just completing a six week cycle.

I added a DP-2 and made dosing containers out of Nalgene 48 oz. (1400ml) water bottles. Very nice sized bottles with printed measurements and still fit perfect inside the cabinet! - That was $80 for everything.

I still may double the dosing capacity by adding a DP-3 slave and more containers since I’ve been looking at trying one of the continual dosing trace methods (Triton/API/Tropic Marin).

and since I have the ReefKeeper, I picked up a small fan to hook up to it. Not sure how much it will do but it can’t hurt. - $23

Now it’s up and running...

Now the real fun starts! Picking the Live Stock!

Last edited by PyroSteve; 03/09/2019 at 08:59 PM.
Unread 03/14/2019, 09:24 AM   #31
hunterfl
Registered Member

Nice work on the aquascape!

hunterfl is offline   Reply With Quote