Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/23/2018, 05:42 AM   #1
serbusfish
Registered Member

Why do I keep losing Yellow Tang's?

I dont know what the problem is but I cant seem to keep Yellow Tang's alive long term. They normally live between 5 - 10 months but then suddenly become lethargic, thin, and die. My most recent one was acting weird on Thurday night but was still eating, the next day he had disappeared so I assume my clean up crew dealt with him after his death.

I feed my fish ever other day, swapping between flake and mysis. I am wondering if Tangs need feeding every day? Could this be the cause? All my other fish are fat and healthy with this feeding regime, and I have had most of them for 3 years at this point.

Progress thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p
serbusfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 05:44 AM   #2
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Tangs graze on algae & should be fed nori daily

Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 05:56 AM   #3
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by serbusfish View Post
I feed my fish ever other day, swapping between flake and mysis. I am wondering if Tangs need feeding every day? Could this be the cause? All my other fish are fat and healthy with this feeding regime, and I have had most of them for 3 years at this point.
IMO, you should feed most fish every day and some will need multiple times a day.

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 07:52 AM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Twice per day + algae sheet on a clip so they can nibble all day.

Smaller and more frequent is always better than more and less frequent.

Do you eat only once per day?
Do you ever want a snack?
Think in those terms, and YT will be fine

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 08:00 AM   #5
sde1500
Registered Member

Yea you’re starving them and not giving them the right diet even when you do feed them.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 08:55 AM   #6
rvareef
In Memoriam

when adding new fish, you'll need to feed frequently, not every other day, tangs have a high metabolism, you said they get lethargic and thin, sounds like you've been starving them and they are slowly withering away.

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 09:05 AM   #7
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Not to pile on, but no fish suddenly becomes thin .... that takes a while. I turned the corner with tangs years ago with multiple daily feedings. Mine now get fed at least three times a day.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 09:46 AM   #8
slief
RC Sponsor

As noted above, they are constant grazers and naturally cover large swaths of reefs in search for food. Assuming based on your signature that you are keeping them in a 75 gallon tank, that is on the small side for them as they just won’t have enough food sources to graze on let alone the fact they yellow tangs are typically wild caught and you are putting them into an environment that doesn’t really mimic what they are used to since they don’t have the diversity of natural food sources and swimming freedom. Couple that with every other day feeding and they will starve to death. Increasing your feeding habits to at least once a day and including things like nori, mysis and other foods will help a lot but I don’t think the display size is ideal for long term success with them due to their active nature.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 12:51 PM   #9
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Twice per day + algae sheet on a clip so they can nibble all day.
This is what I do also.

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 04:47 PM   #10
RioReefr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serbusfish View Post
Another point, Yellow Tangs are strictly herbivores...mostly other aquarium fish are omnivores. That being said....you need to feed them seaweed pellets ("Hikari") or Nori or even romaine lettuce. I feed my tang AT LEAST 2x/daily....as others have said they are grazers, constantly pecking away on something. If you watch a healthy tang, they swim constantly. They may slow a little at night, but I almost never see my tang in one place for one second.

BTW, I think 75G is fine unless it is older and big. Also, make sure you have plenty of rockwork for him to swim over, under, through and around.

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 05:09 PM   #11
Sam2832
Registered Member

I have my yellow since =-12 years
Feed twice per day and more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sam2832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 05:43 PM   #12
slief
RC Sponsor

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 06/23/2018 at 05:48 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 06:16 PM   #13
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
As noted above, they are constant grazers and naturally cover large swaths of reefs in search for food. Assuming based on your signature that you are keeping them in a 75 gallon tank, that is on the small side for them as they just won’t have enough food sources to graze on let alone the fact they yellow tangs are typically wild caught and you are putting them into an environment that doesn’t really mimic what they are used to since they don’t have the diversity of natural food sources and swimming freedom. Couple that with every other day feeding and they will starve to death. Increasing your feeding habits to at least once a day and including things like nori, mysis and other foods will help a lot but I don’t think the display size is ideal for long term success with them due to their active nature.
I've had a Y Tang for six years in a 45g, with several other fish. Feed Them once a day.

Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 06:28 PM   #14
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Feed twice a day as stated above.

I also have two clips with Bok Choi in the tank everyday. My tangs are as healthy as can be and all is eaten each day.

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
Unread 06/23/2018, 06:38 PM   #15
Anemone
Cloning Around

Although I agree that you could use to feed your fish more often, I'm going to go against the grain and say the main reason you are having these losses is do to the diet you do provide. As has been mentioned, yellow tangs need a more herbivorous diet. Whether that comes from an algae sheet every other day, pelleted algal-based food or frozen is up to you, but your tangs need more veggies.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 06:54 PM   #16
Tinkanator2000
Registered Member

I personally have 4 tangs in my 180 (along with 7 other various fish) and they are fed once daily with a cube of mysis and a cube of spirulina brine. After that they get 2/3 of a 8x7 nori sheet and all are plump and well. My tangs all have this shape when observing them from behind.....()

If you see a sunken stomach you're not feeding nearly enough.

Tinkanator2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 07:05 PM   #17
serbusfish
Registered Member

Lesson learned, definitely feed more. I did occasionally put nori sheets in the tank, once or twice a week. Im not decided on whether to get another yet, I really like them and they are so far the only fish i've found that eat red bubble algae, so I suppose if I dont get one mine will grow back.

Progress thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p
serbusfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 06:32 AM   #18
OrionN
Moved on

Fishes should have a full stomach all the time. If this is not the case then you either not feeding enough or not feed the right food or not enough natural food in aquarium for them to eat. I see many tanks with thin skinny fishes, empty stomach. This always make me sad. I often suggest to the reefer to feed more. For some this help. For others I am just a stuck up know it all.
I am glad we were able to help you.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 06:37 AM   #19
rvareef
In Memoriam

#doitforthefish

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 07:41 AM   #20
Timfish
Registered Member

+1 you're starving your system. The Sailfin and Purple tangs in this post are still going strong at 24 years with only Spectrum pellets in a autofeeder dropping small amounts 8 times a day. When New Life came out with their "Algaemax" I switched them to that from the standard Spectrum pellets. (Sadly the Yellow Tang was lost a year ago when AC failed.)

Unread 06/24/2018, 10:13 AM   #21
A. Henin
Registered Member

Tangs do nothing but eat, poop, swim, and...Grow. I have two sheets of sea weed (green, red, or purple) either warped around rocks or hanging from a clip, at all the time for my tangs to graze on. In addition, I feed them at least twice a day varied diet (pellets, flacks, and frozen food). I am sorry my friend, but I must agree with all the comments here, Your tangs are starving. The good news is that they are fast healing, and as soon as you start feeding them, they will come back fat and happy. Best of luck!

A. Henin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2018, 10:16 AM   #22
A. Henin
Registered Member

OrionN, Agree with everything you said.

A. Henin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 12:06 PM   #23
WVfishguy
Registered Member

A trick I use is to take a strip of nori, soak in water with fish oil (selcon, whatever) and feed that to tangs.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 12:37 PM   #24
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVfishguy View Post
A trick I use is to take a strip of nori, soak in water with fish oil (selcon, whatever) and feed that to tangs.
Selcon is awesome and I used to do the same as you.

For some reason I found when I added selcon to the food my skimmer would shut down for hours and not make any skimmate so I stopped using it.

Unread 06/29/2018, 02:32 PM   #25
WVfishguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
Selcon is awesome and I used to do the same as you.

For some reason I found when I added selcon to the food my skimmer would shut down for hours and not make any skimmate so I stopped using it.
I buy high quality fish oil from Drug Emporium for a fraction of the price of Selcon. Exactly the same thing, just a lot cheaper.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote