Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/31/2018, 12:45 PM   #1
steallife904
Registered Member

LPS will not thrive without feeding?

I have recently moved on from SPS and into pretty much 100% LPS. I have had LPS in the past and killed off when I didn't feed them (keeping tank to clean). Recently I had a lot going on and missed a few water changes and set an auto feeder on the tank feeding pellets for the fish. In all this went on for about 2 months. Well a few LPS suffered and lost a couple. I got back into my water changes and feeding the tank with Rods frozen and 1 or 2 spot feedings a week. My LPS that where still alive have turned around and some I got a few weeks ago are exploding. So my observations tell me that LPS do not do great without feedings, or specifically spot feedings. My Acans, lobo, frogspawn and torch, and duncans are most notable to this observation.

Anyone else have same conclusion and can back this up? It seems kinda common sense but there are always some that feed nothing and tanks thrive like in the SPS game.

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2018, 12:58 PM   #2
jacksonpt
Registered Member

Mine is the opposite. I never "feed" them... just keep the water semi-dirty and they have really taken off. The couple of SPS I have are similar.

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2018, 06:42 PM   #3
Reef Bass
colors and textures

My experience, my lps (Micromussa, Acanthastrea echinata, Euphyllia, Favia, Lobophyllia), grow faster and produced more new heads when being fed at least weekly.

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2018, 01:26 PM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Depends, those that show an active feeding response will benefit from feedings.
Acans, Duncan's, Scolymia for sure...

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2018, 01:32 PM   #5
Louis Z
Registered Member

If it has a mouth. It’s there for a purpose . Now whether you ignore it , it’s your choice . Sometimes no matter what we try is unsuccessful . Sometimes it can be overdone . So it really just depends on the individual aquarist.

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2018, 02:19 PM   #6
steallife904
Registered Member

well at the moment I am trying to target feed once a week. Hopefully this is good enough. I feed the tank frozen 4 times a week at least so hopefully they are catching some food during that time as well.

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2018, 09:53 AM   #7
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by steallife904 View Post
well at the moment I am trying to target feed once a week. Hopefully this is good enough. I feed the tank frozen 4 times a week at least so hopefully they are catching some food during that time as well.
Yup, they will pull partical and disolved nutrients from the water.
Once a week is just fine. I follow this same timeline.
I target feed with a long 1/4 inch rigid airline tube on a syringe. I do stop all flow for an hour. Some grab food fast, things like Scolymia, ricordias, take a couple of minutes to "encompass" foods, that's why flow us stopped fir short time.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote