Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/29/2010, 02:42 PM   #1
ctlegacy
Registered Member

Can I cut the plastic braces in my 150g tank?

I have an All Glass 150 aquarium. It has 2 cross braces that I'm guessing are just there to hold tank covers. Can I cut them out of the tank or do they give some kind of support to the tank.

I want to cut them because they cast shadows in my tank and I don't like it.

Thanks,

Chris

Current Tank Info:
240g Tank, 260g Sump, I don't over feed them, they looked hungry!

Current Tank Info: Mixed reef. Lots of clowns.
ctlegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2010, 02:45 PM   #2
spieg
Registered Member

Generally speaking, they give support to the tank and should not be removed. You might be able to replace them with euro bracing instead or find other alternatives to eliminate the shadows.

spieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2010, 04:16 PM   #3
fishnub
Likes to Taste Tank Water

i cut the brace on my 65, and it bowed out, immediatly put new braces in.

fishnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2010, 05:22 PM   #4
glazer
Registered Member.

Yeah, NO don't cut them out. They may not look like much but lose them and have a full tank of water and watch how much that front bows out. If it doesn't blow the front or back or both out of the tank toot sweet, it's a ticking time bomb.

Years ago I cut the center brace out of a tank, I didn't like the shadow either and replaced it with a strip of clear polycarbonate. Cut the brace to leave some ample "tabs" behind and used the proper Weld-On formula to bond the two. Sorry, was too long ago to remember exactly which formula. Customer service told me what the tank plastic was, I wanna say it was in the PVC family and then I ordered the right stuff to "weld" the polycarbonate to. Lasted that way for the several years I used the tank afterwards and I never had a problem... or a shadow.

Current Tank Info: 20 gallon and 7 gallon nanos
glazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2010, 11:26 PM   #5
mike_cmu04
Registered Member

Definently dont cut them your tank will bow and likely eventually fail.

mike_cmu04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2010, 08:38 AM   #6
hebygb
Registered Member

You can do exactly what glazer said, but I would advise using nylon bolts (two in each tab) to secure the clear acrylic brace.

hebygb is offline   Reply With Quote