Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2012, 01:07 PM   #201
dave.m
Registered Member

Peter's Fish Tank is the home of the 4 Masters, and Jessie is quite right - there's links to tons of pictures in Peter's on-line galleries.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2012, 03:38 PM   #202
rrasco
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Gray View Post
the newest pics are on page 4 and 5 of this split or you can go to Peters websight,the Ffour masters , and see hundreds of them and most of yhr great info sumerized. I tried to past the link but it wouldnt worm for some reason but you can get there by serching the four masters.
Thanks, it's petersfishtank dot com.

Unread 02/24/2012, 10:11 AM   #203
Tanu
Registered Member

Peter and Shawn, I understood your new led lights are the 'Nilus' lights by Orphek. When comparing to the 'old' fixtures, what can you say about the color and the intensity of the light to the human eye?

I am planning to change from my current MH/T5-setup to Orpheks, but am not sure what to order...

Tanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2012, 07:33 PM   #204
chingchai
Premium Member

Peter. May I ask for video clip of your tank?
I need more motivation.
Thank you.

chingchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2012, 06:26 AM   #205
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingchai View Post
Peter. May I ask for video clip of your tank?
I need more motivation.
Thank you.
Chingchai, I am working on getting a big video update ready but it will be at least two weeks. I am working with a professional videographer to make the update. It will be in HD and I will make it available to this thread community. The first episode is going to look at the history and evolution of this build.

Special focus is being done to highlight the progress I think I have made with LED lighting. As you know very well, getting the video to accurately show the true colours without a lot of post processing is very difficult but I think we have finally got it right.

We are using my canon 5D II as well as the GoPro Hero 2 with a very special lens for shooting under water. The results are fantastic. We had to get special tracks to put the camera and tripod on so that the video would be smooth over the 24 feet length of the tank. We have been testing and practising to make sure that its worth while to shoot the movie.

I will let you know first when the movie is ready. The coral and fish are doing extremely well. I don't want to give away the surprise so don't tell anyone but I think we finally have 4 Moorish Idols that are finally doing well in the main display tank.

Also I am now completely switched over to LED lighting and I am extremely happy with the results. I am using some special new Orphek lights that haven't been made available to the public yet and I love the look over the tank. Hopefully the movie will demonstrate just how incredible the results are.

I have been watching your progress with your tank and I am hoping to learn from your experience. You continue to be my inspiration and I follow your thread as closely as my own.

Peter

Current Tank Info: SW mixed reef 1350 gal in progress
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2012, 09:46 AM   #206
chingchai
Premium Member

Peter. Thank you so much.
We all look forward to seeing your clip video.
All the best.

chingchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 02:42 AM   #207
arctictwist
Registered Member

I havent been on in awhile, stopped in to check up. Just amazing! Makes me wish i was still in the hobby!

arctictwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 10:04 AM   #208
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanu View Post
Peter and Shawn, I understood your new led lights are the 'Nilus' lights by Orphek. When comparing to the 'old' fixtures, what can you say about the color and the intensity of the light to the human eye?

I am planning to change from my current MH/T5-setup to Orpheks, but am not sure what to order...
There is also a new multi chip LED that combines different colours all in one chip. There is royal blue, red, UV, and 16k white. You can have the same colour mix as Peter's in one chip, but they cannot be dimmed independently, only all at once.

mr.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 02:58 PM   #209
Tanu
Registered Member

Shawn, thanks! I've actually already ordered two dimmable Nilus fixtures, with 32 white, 20 blue, 4 red and 4 uv each. No space for the multi chip fixtures, I've seen the PR156's which impressed me a lot!

Unread 03/05/2012, 06:15 PM   #210
FuzzyZipperbaum
Registered Member

First of all the professionalism of Nineball and Mr. Wilson in their responses is beyond outstanding.

I happen to live on a few thousand acres of Mangroves. I am finalizing my plans for a 20 foot wall consisting of 3 tanks, SPS, Mixed, and an FOWLR tank. The fish only will be on a separate system.

I have been trying to figure out where in the system to put the Mangroves but I am no longer in the dark as I am going to copy your design!

Questions... Where in the system do you have the Mangrove "raceway" Where does it feed from and too....also what are the dimensions of the long acrylic raceways???

Thanks

FuzzyZipperbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2012, 08:16 PM   #211
captngreg
Registered Member

Peter your story & your tank have inspired me to get off the fence and start my own large tank build.
I have one question: I’ve tried to go back through this forum to find the answer but to no avail.
I need to do a little cement work, I know you can use plain Portland cement, but I remember someone’s comments, I think it was Mr. Wilsons’s that there is a special kind of cement that holds up better in salt water. What was the name of that cement?
Thanks

captngreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2012, 08:16 PM   #212
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

BASF Emaco s88ci

Unread 03/08/2012, 08:28 PM   #213
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyZipperbaum View Post
First of all the professionalism of Nineball and Mr. Wilson in their responses is beyond outstanding.

I happen to live on a few thousand acres of Mangroves. I am finalizing my plans for a 20 foot wall consisting of 3 tanks, SPS, Mixed, and an FOWLR tank. The fish only will be on a separate system.

I have been trying to figure out where in the system to put the Mangroves but I am no longer in the dark as I am going to copy your design!

Questions... Where in the system do you have the Mangrove "raceway" Where does it feed from and too....also what are the dimensions of the long acrylic raceways???

Thanks
They used to tell jokes about buying swampland in Florida, then they started draining them and developing the land so the tables turned. With todays environmental protection and real estate bubble, I'm not sure where that leaves you, but it sure sounds cool

We ran out of space so we went vertical, but you can make a horizontal tank. We has 7 troughs that are about 48" x 5" x 5". The substrate is 3" deep. The plasma light will be replaced with LEDs soon which should solve the candy floss algae issue we have.

The mangroves are on a loop on the sump.

Unread 03/09/2012, 10:07 AM   #214
Tanu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
C
I will let you know first when the movie is ready. The coral and fish are doing extremely well. I don't want to give away the surprise so don't tell anyone but I think we finally have 4 Moorish Idols that are finally doing well in the main display tank.

Also I am now completely switched over to LED lighting and I am extremely happy with the results. I am using some special new Orphek lights that haven't been made available to the public yet and I love the look over the tank. Hopefully the movie will demonstrate just how incredible the results are.
Peter, are you referring to the new Nilus lights (dimmable, 4 red and 4 uv leds added)? If yes, can you say something about the quality (amount, color rendering) of the visible light and about the effect on the corals?

My two Nilus units are on it's way to the Netherlands, I'm looking forward to seeing them above my tank. I did consider the pendants mentioned by Shawn, but given the layout of my tank I decided the Nilus would fit better.

Also, I can't wait to watch the videoclips you mentioned, even if shot with a point and shoot camera it seems impossible not to get an impressive movie, let alone with all the effort you took.

Have a nice weekend!

Unread 03/10/2012, 09:38 AM   #215
FuzzyZipperbaum
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wilson View Post
They used to tell jokes about buying swampland in Florida, then they started draining them and developing the land so the tables turned. With todays environmental protection and real estate bubble, I'm not sure where that leaves you, but it sure sounds cool

We ran out of space so we went vertical, but you can make a horizontal tank. We has 7 troughs that are about 48" x 5" x 5". The substrate is 3" deep. The plasma light will be replaced with LEDs soon which should solve the candy floss algae issue we have.

The mangroves are on a loop on the sump.
Well I am a little more fortunate then living on a former drained swamp...I have a few billion gallons of water out my back door that leads to and is attached to the Gulf of Mexico.... however, everything dead left of me is mangroves...

I've seen threads talking about stimulating more root growth of the mangroves by either manipulating the position of the plant up or down in the water or moving the sand around the roots..... any thoughts in setting up an automated value that closes or restricts the water flow to the plants like normal tidal flow? The mangroves around me that grow the fastest have no water on the roots for close to half of the 24 hour cycle.

I was thinking of putting in an automated value that restricts and then increases flow slowly that simulates the tides and have the excess water then rerouted back to the sump.... thoughts?

FuzzyZipperbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2012, 11:34 AM   #216
dave.m
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyZipperbaum
I was thinking of putting in an automated value that restricts and then increases flow slowly that simulates the tides and have the excess water then rerouted back to the sump.... thoughts?
Have two parallel raceways of mangroves. You would want a slower, constant flow to both that would not switch over. Automate a switchover of heavier flow every twelve hours between the two.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2012, 07:23 PM   #217
captngreg
Registered Member

I finally did it!
Over a year ago, after reading every word of some 1000 + posts on your thread along with Chinghai’s I finial felt I could tackle the aquarium of my dreams. You inspiration has led to the start of construction of a 500 gallon reef tank and a build thread here on Reef Central.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2146585

I think my first post sums this build up pretty well.

“A very large aquarium in a very small condo!
In this build I will be addressing several if not unique complication at least some tricky ones. Namely Earthquakes, very limited space for the aquarium’s support systems and energy consumption. My hope is people will find some of my solutions helpful and somewhat creative and other member may have suggestions for improvements on my design or put forth new ideas I haven’t even thought of.
I would like to acknowledge three people for inspiring me to undertake this build, Mr. Wilson for his tireless support on many threads here on Reef Central & his valuable insight into all thing aquarium, Next to Chinghai, for a great thread and an even better aquarium in a small space, and lastly to Peter. Peter’s best practices principles will be used extensively wherever possible given the limited space and to some degree financial considerations. Peter you dedicated your aquarium build to the “four masters”. I would like to dedicate my build to you three. “The three inspires”. If it wasn’t for all the inspiration & the information I gleaned from your effort here on Reef Central, I would have never found the courage to attempt this build.”

captngreg

Unread 03/17/2012, 10:03 AM   #218
Lucifa68
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wilson View Post
There is also a new multi chip LED that combines different colours all in one chip. There is royal blue, red, UV, and 16k white. You can have the same colour mix as Peter's in one chip, but they cannot be dimmed independently, only all at once.
hi mr wilson, can you give me some more info on the new multi chip you are talking about please..... is this different from the new nilus???????

thanks lucifa

Lucifa68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2012, 01:20 AM   #219
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

I finally finished this thread and read the website and I have to say I have a new perspective on the concept of true tank build. Words cant describe my feelings and how attention to detail has played a major roll in my own tank build. I have to reprocess, reprogram, and totally redo my tank build.

I am very impressed on how you have taken the basics of reefing and extended upon the concept. I think most reefers, especially those who fail, forget about the basics and just concentrate on impression and presentation. Without the basics you wouldn't have the other two. Thank you for the inspiration, incite, and motivation to make me do it right.

I have a question about flow from what I read from the website. The skimmer that I am using(Reeflo Hurricone CAT3 protein skimmer) to work proficiently needs to be fed around 1000 gph. The website states that the flow should be 1.33333 times the tank size or volume and equal to the skimmer feed. My setup DT will be 8'L x 4'W x 2'H which comes out to about 478 gallons. Multiply that by the 1.333 and that puts my sump volume flow to approximately 650 gallons. Even with power heads isn't that flow low for my setup or am I reading your concept wrong?

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2012, 09:10 AM   #220
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captngreg View Post
I finally did it!
Over a year ago, after reading every word of some 1000 + posts on your thread along with Chinghai’s I finial felt I could tackle the aquarium of my dreams. You inspiration has led to the start of construction of a 500 gallon reef tank and a build thread here on Reef Central.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2146585

I think my first post sums this build up pretty well.

“A very large aquarium in a very small condo!
In this build I will be addressing several if not unique complication at least some tricky ones. Namely Earthquakes, very limited space for the aquarium’s support systems and energy consumption. My hope is people will find some of my solutions helpful and somewhat creative and other member may have suggestions for improvements on my design or put forth new ideas I haven’t even thought of.
I would like to acknowledge three people for inspiring me to undertake this build, Mr. Wilson for his tireless support on many threads here on Reef Central & his valuable insight into all thing aquarium, Next to Chinghai, for a great thread and an even better aquarium in a small space, and lastly to Peter. Peter’s best practices principles will be used extensively wherever possible given the limited space and to some degree financial considerations. Peter you dedicated your aquarium build to the “four masters”. I would like to dedicate my build to you three. “The three inspires”. If it wasn’t for all the inspiration & the information I gleaned from your effort here on Reef Central, I would have never found the courage to attempt this build.”

captngreg
Congratulations Capt'n,

I have been following along your progress and look forward to watching your hard work pay off. I have been very busy lately and haven't been doing as much updating of the thread as I should. best of luck Greg. Mr. Wilson and I will be watching.........

Peter

Unread 03/24/2012, 09:26 AM   #221
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
I finally finished this thread and read the website and I have to say I have a new perspective on the concept of true tank build. Words cant describe my feelings and how attention to detail has played a major roll in my own tank build. I have to reprocess, reprogram, and totally redo my tank build.

I am very impressed on how you have taken the basics of reefing and extended upon the concept. I think most reefers, especially those who fail, forget about the basics and just concentrate on impression and presentation. Without the basics you wouldn't have the other two. Thank you for the inspiration, incite, and motivation to make me do it right.

I have a question about flow from what I read from the website. The skimmer that I am using(Reeflo Hurricone CAT3 protein skimmer) to work proficiently needs to be fed around 1000 gph. The website states that the flow should be 1.33333 times the tank size or volume and equal to the skimmer feed. My setup DT will be 8'L x 4'W x 2'H which comes out to about 478 gallons. Multiply that by the 1.333 and that puts my sump volume flow to approximately 650 gallons. Even with power heads isn't that flow low for my setup or am I reading your concept wrong?
Thank you, your comments are too generous. As far as your question about flow is concerned I will defer to Mr. Wilson. he seems to know both the science behind the calculation as well as the real world practical advice. The two don't always coincide by the way. For me the flow throughput is not as important as whats happening to the water displacement in the tank. My philosophy is that the principle here is aspiring to managed chaos in the tank. That does not mean hard flow necessarily but it does mean that water is clearly moving around the tank with no dead spots. Coral can't go get food you have to deliver it. Some of the best quality food for coral is fish poop so keeping it in solution is a good thing. Too much of a good thing however can upset a healthy balance so thats where the skimmer and sump come in. That balance takes some experimentation to get just right and it changes with evolving life in the tank. So numbers in isolation are only half the story. Here again we need Mr. Wilson to bring his wisdom to the tank. His store is open now so he is pretty busy these days.

I have been heavily invested in setting up a video update and I hope we will have something up on the thread in the next 3 weeks. Its a lot of work but hopefully worth while. Long term members of this thread should really enjoy it I hope.

Peter

Unread 03/24/2012, 09:39 AM   #222
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanu View Post
Peter, are you referring to the new Nilus lights (dimmable, 4 red and 4 uv leds added)? If yes, can you say something about the quality (amount, color rendering) of the visible light and about the effect on the corals?

My two Nilus units are on it's way to the Netherlands, I'm looking forward to seeing them above my tank. I did consider the pendants mentioned by Shawn, but given the layout of my tank I decided the Nilus would fit better.

Also, I can't wait to watch the videoclips you mentioned, even if shot with a point and shoot camera it seems impossible not to get an impressive movie, let alone with all the effort you took.

Have a nice weekend!
Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Yes these sound like the same lights and I am really pleased with the light. More importantly the coral seems to like it. Aesthetically they are incredible. However I have to point out that I have somewhere around 27 lights with 9 of the new lights running down the middle or centre row of the three rows of lights. This allows me to throw all blue on the outside two rows and keep the centre dimmed to 10% white. This is my favourite scene but I only have that for one hour in the morning and one hour at night as the main program for the health and welfare of the coral is everything on for 9 hours. I think I am going to switch everything over to the new lights for even more versatility.

Movie to come very soon I hope!!!

Peter

Unread 03/26/2012, 05:52 PM   #223
JasonBJones
Registered Member

Really looking forward to the new movie!

JasonBJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2012, 05:53 PM   #224
captngreg
Registered Member

Quote:
Congratulations Capt'n,

I have been following along your progress and look forward to watching your hard work pay off. I have been very busy lately and haven't been doing as much updating of the thread as I should. best of luck Greg. Mr. Wilson and I will be watching.........

Peter
Thank you for your kind words & support. This summer my new tank will not be ready to receive livestock, but by the following summer I should be up and running. I’d love to come to Canada for a brief visit to see your magnificent tank. I figure I can justify the trip if I can talk Mr. Wilson into setting aside a dozen & half really nice corals for me to take back to Peru. If you or Mr. Wilson get tired of that cold weather, just remember I’m south of the equator, your winter is my summer, So if you are ever in the neighborhood or just need to get away from all that cold "me casa su casa" and I’ll even let you feed the fish. Just took this photo the other day from my balcony.

Unread 03/26/2012, 06:54 PM   #225
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captngreg View Post
Thank you for your kind words & support. This summer my new tank will not be ready to receive livestock, but by the following summer I should be up and running. I’d love to come to Canada for a brief visit to see your magnificent tank. I figure I can justify the trip if I can talk Mr. Wilson into setting aside a dozen & half really nice corals for me to take back to Peru. If you or Mr. Wilson get tired of that cold weather, just remember I’m south of the equator, your winter is my summer, So if you are ever in the neighborhood or just need to get away from all that cold "me casa su casa" and I’ll even let you feed the fish. Just took this photo the other day from my balcony.

Well Greg, your balcony beats mine by a country mile. If I come down I want to sleep on the balcony.

Based on the last order that Mr. Wilson got your visit would be worthwhile. I was very pleased with the health and colour. I have to be careful as I am running out of space to put them.

Take your time on your build Greg, its worthwhile to make sure all the pieces work well together.

Peter