Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/26/2015, 07:57 PM   #1
KabayanReef
Registered Member

Question UV Sterilization?

So someone offered to sell me a UV unit for dirt cheap and It's very tempting. (with all his sales talk)

I haven't heard/read about it here on RC? Although i've seen my lfs use it (amazing DT).

Q: What does a UV unit do? Cons and pros? How benificial is it to reefkeeping?

I trust you guys will enlighten me, its a bit odd not seeing any UV related post/thread afterall.

Unread 03/26/2015, 08:01 PM   #2
snorvich
Team RC member

Water clarifier. Cheap ones are probably a waste of money. They do not prevent parasites.

Unread 03/26/2015, 08:15 PM   #3
KabayanReef
Registered Member

Ahhh I see another $$ item. Let's say your rimless tank is a bit cloudy and you had one ready, would you use it?

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Unread 03/26/2015, 08:16 PM   #4
snorvich
Team RC member

On my large reef tanks, I do not. On my outside pond, I do as an algae prevention.

Unread 03/26/2015, 08:17 PM   #5
twon8
Formally registered membe

UV Sterilization?

Unless you are spending close to a grand it isnt worth it. And even then it won't prevent outbreaks but will keep your water clear.

I've never run one in almost 12 years with reef tanks

Not building a wall but making a brick

Current Tank Info: 300g DD display, 60g frag tank

Last edited by twon8; 03/26/2015 at 08:19 PM. Reason: added
twon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 08:53 PM   #6
Kenmx10
Registered Member

Bulk Reef Supply has a nice video on them. Its worth watching if your considering buying one.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/empero...e-25-watt.html

Kenmx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 09:08 PM   #7
KabayanReef
Registered Member

Thanks for the informative link Kenmx10. I guess it wouldn't hurt using it as long as maintenance guy offers to install it

Unread 03/26/2015, 09:24 PM   #8
Greatwhitetang
Registered Member

Pros.. Will kill micro organisms in water column making clear water
Cons. Wont kill anything that doesn't go through it, wont kill parasites or help with outbreaks, will kill natural occurring foods within your system, will kill good bacteria along with the bad.

I ran one for the first 3 years in the hobby, then it leaked and put 120v into my tank. After u hooking it I noticed 0 difference in quality and clarity of water, but live rock seemed to improve in health and coral extention was amazing. I now advise against them, they can be a bandaid for a neglectful tank owner.. But really serve 0 true purpose to those of us who maintain near perfect water Conditions in the first place.. Save your money and invest it somewhere else in the system!

Greatwhitetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2015, 12:52 AM   #9
bundybear1981
Registered Member

I use to run one, when the bulb died I never replaced it. The water was clearer with it but it was an unnecessary cost to run. I don't plan on using it in the future.

Current Tank Info: New Build : 250g (6x3x2) with 2x RW15 pumps, 2x 2200lph return pumps, Tunze ATO, Jebao Dosing Pump, AquaOne G220 Skimmer
bundybear1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2015, 01:25 AM   #10
JoelA7
Registered Member

I know a commercial aquarist who says he wouldn't run a tank without one. He also says they will not eradicate parasites, only add a measure of control. Speaking from difficult experience nothing beats prevention. Nothing.

New 48x24x26.25 w Precision Marine R30 sump, Vertex Omega 150 skimmer, 2@Vertex 1.5L reactors for carbon & phosban, GEO Ca reactor w Aquarium Plants regulator. 2 MP40's 2@Radions. #120 live rock & #12
JoelA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2015, 05:45 AM   #11
nmotz
Registered Member

Well, a lot of people have talked about what they won't do. What they WILL do is take care of algae blooms. On my first tank I came home one day to "pea green soup", popped a small, internal UV sterilizer in the tank and it was clear in less than 24 hour. If I was going to get one, I would personally keep it in reserve and use it when required to clear up major algae issues.

Current Tank Info: 20L Peacock mantis shrimp tank
nmotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2015, 09:14 AM   #12
BlackTip
Registered Member

At the right dose, UV can eliminate bacteria, viruses, protozoa, and algae. The key is to use the right dosage for your intended application.

Check this table for the right dosage: http://www.emperoraquatics-aquarium....ismdosages.php

BlackTip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2015, 12:20 PM   #13
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Only those that pass through it and receive lethal doses of radiation for their size ; it doesn't eliminate anything as most of these organisms have presence in non planktonic forms ; they don't live exclusively in the water column.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2015, 06:40 PM   #14
acrohead500ppm
Moved On

I have seen their use benefit large tanks with lots of tangs, especially during the addition process.
I think it does a decent job of keeping ich and some parasites in check and can be helpful when adding new fish, esp tangs, as it usually results in some fighting/stress which just ups the ich risk factor,

In my experience they have proved to be pretty effective in these situations housing tangs that battle a bit, esp when tangs in the acanthurus genus hit sexual maturity and start going ape &$%*.

However, long term use, I personally don't think its worth the heat they can add as well as the electricity they burn.

I don't think they are nearly effective at controlling parasites/ disease as they are made out to be, and certainly should NOT be viewed as an alternative to quarantine.

I do think they kill off alot of benefical fauna in the water collum as well.

Bottomline, I have used them in the past when adding new fish, but after a few weeks I would discontinue use of them after everyone has calmed down.

Again I am not saying I believe they made a huge difference disease/parasite wise, but I think it helped a tad in a few cases, but no way to prove it.

Long term use, not worth the electricity or heat added to the system. Kills beneficial fauna, and I have no problem keeping reef water polished without them.

Koi pond/ outdoor gardens on the other hand......... yeah, UVC is your buddy if you like seeing your fish !

acrohead500ppm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2015, 08:25 PM   #15
KabayanReef
Registered Member

Thank you for sharing your input, never too late to pass on knowledge. The case for tang acclimation and how benificial a UV made sense. Not thrift hopping my way to success but I have decided not to implement a UV , not worth the $$ specially if other areas of the tank can use an upgrade.

Like your idea on using it with introducing new inhabitants. Agree on all points and +1 on never think of it as a qt alternative and don't expect on effective removal of unwanted parasites.

Unread 03/28/2015, 09:20 PM   #16
acrohead500ppm
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by KabayanReef View Post
Thank you for sharing your input, never too late to pass on knowledge. The case for tang acclimation and how benificial a UV made sense. Not thrift hopping my way to success but I have decided not to implement a UV , not worth the $$ specially if other areas of the tank can use an upgrade.

Like your idea on using it with introducing new inhabitants. Agree on all points and +1 on never think of it as a qt alternative and don't expect on effective removal of unwanted parasites.
Agree with you on all points, in your case, the $$ is much better spent elsewhere.

Main reason I put them into use is because I had them on hand, thought I would share my experience, and as you read, they are not worth the $$$ and they add quite a bit of heat to a system.

acrohead500ppm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2015, 11:38 PM   #17
Sk8r
RC Mod

I've never used one indoors. I gave up their use on the outdoor koi pond after 3 units caught fire and one singed my skimmer. Quitting them did nothing bad. The water, with more flow and a better filter out there, is now far better than when I was using them.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2015, 08:47 AM   #18
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

If you are buying a used unit, assume as part of your purchase cost a new bulb. While we can debate the effectiveness of a properly functioning unit; one with a bad bulb is un-debatably useless.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote