Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/16/2015, 03:35 PM   #1
djcarley1
Registered Member

Help setting up new tank

Hi guys, just got my new tank second hand. It's an aqua one reef 300 with a ati power cone 250i skimmer and a vortech mp10. So far iv cleaned everything ( it was filthy) got 25kg of dry rock power washed it and put it in rodi water with 2 power heads. Just thought I put some pictures up. I'll be looking for a lot of help over the few weeks and any advice along the way would be great.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0055.jpg (54.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0057.jpg (49.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0099.jpg (62.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0102.jpg (46.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0109.jpg (5.5 KB, 68 views)
djcarley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2015, 04:41 PM   #2
Mustang67
Registered Member

Being that its a new set up you may want to consider bleaching the rock and or an acid bath. And acid bath will remove far more decay then the pressure washer.

Mustang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2015, 01:49 AM   #3
djcarley1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang67 View Post
Being that its a new set up you may want to consider bleaching the rock and or an acid bath. And acid bath will remove far more decay then the pressure washer.
Thanks for the help. What kind of acid do I use for soaking ? I live in Ireland its hard to find shops that sells stuff like this. I would probably have to import it in.

Unread 03/17/2015, 02:00 AM   #4
pyithar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarley1 View Post
Thanks for the help. What kind of acid do I use for soaking ? I live in Ireland its hard to find shops that sells stuff like this. I would probably have to import it in.
i've read people use muriatic acid about 1:10 acid to water ratio.

Current Tank Info: 150G display, 50G sump, mixed reef
pyithar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2015, 03:07 AM   #5
djcarley1
Registered Member

Do I really need to acid bath it or would just bleaching be good enough. At the moment I have it in my tank with 2 power heads and rodi. I'm doing 50% water change every day. The water smells bad is this normal?
Also if I use bleach is it ok to put it back in the tank after soaking? ( I don't have a bin or anything I can fit the rock in to cure)

Unread 03/17/2015, 04:09 AM   #6
pyithar
Registered Member

people use acid baths if the rocks are leaching phosphates. are these rocks liverocks or base rocks (dry rocks)? if they are dry rocks they shouldn't smell bad if you cleaned them well. instead of putting them in rodi which is freshwater (everything living on the rocks will be dead by now even if they're liverocks becuase they can't survive in freshwater), i would put them in the saltwater. that way, rocks will be cured and you'll have a cycled tank eventually. you'll need to add ammonia source if there're none available in the tank. but smelly water means there's ammonia in the tank. do some testings to make sure.

Unread 03/17/2015, 04:28 AM   #7
djcarley1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyithar View Post
people use acid baths if the rocks are leaching phosphates. are these rocks liverocks or base rocks (dry rocks)? if they are dry rocks they shouldn't smell bad if you cleaned them well. instead of putting them in rodi which is freshwater (everything living on the rocks will be dead by now even if they're liverocks becuase they can't survive in freshwater), i would put them in the saltwater. that way, rocks will be cured and you'll have a cycled tank eventually. you'll need to add ammonia source if there're none available in the tank. but smelly water means there's ammonia in the tank. do some testings to make sure.
The rock is dry dead rock. There was no smell from the rock when I got it but since I put it in water the smell when I put my head near the top of the tank is bad.7

I plan on getting salt and test kits at weekend. I might bleach and rince in the shower. Put it back in the tank with the ro weather do 50% water change every day till I get some salt. Then I'll start to cycle the tank. Dose this sound like a good idea?
Note... I have a nano tank with about 3 kg of live rock which I plan on using to seed the dry rock after its cured.

Last edited by djcarley1; 03/17/2015 at 04:36 AM.
Unread 03/17/2015, 04:30 AM   #8
djcarley1
Registered Member

My nano it's about a year old

Unread 03/17/2015, 04:44 AM   #9
pyithar
Registered Member

ya sounds good. rinse them very well after bleach though. good luck.

Unread 03/17/2015, 05:52 AM   #10
djcarley1
Registered Member

Quote:
ya sounds good. rinse them very well after bleach though. good luck.
Thanks pyithar I appreciate the help. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Unread 03/17/2015, 06:02 AM   #11
intyme
Registered Member

Cool tank

intyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2015, 06:55 AM   #12
djcarley1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intyme View Post
Cool tank
Thanks intyme it's an aqua reef 300 there's a few scratches on the glass from last owner but I can live with it for the price I paid for it.

Unread 03/17/2015, 04:26 PM   #13
Mustang67
Registered Member

If you beach the Rock, rinse it well. Let it then dry overnight. The next day find a bucket that you can fit it all in, soak it freshwater with water conditioner with a power head running.

I used a 16"oz bottle in a 30Gallon rubber maid, I left it soaking for a few hours. Then tested and had 0 chlorine.

Mustang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2015, 08:26 AM   #14
djcarley1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang67 View Post
If you beach the Rock, rinse it well. Let it then dry overnight. The next day find a bucket that you can fit it all in, soak it freshwater with water conditioner with a power head running.

I used a 16"oz bottle in a 30Gallon rubber maid, I left it soaking for a few hours. Then tested and had 0 chlorine.
Update .....

So I put the rock in some water and bleach for about 3 hours took it out and power washed it again then dipped each piece into a bucket of tap water and left out to dry. Its the first day of Sun we have have this year in Ireland. I'll put them in my green house tonight when the temp drops and put them back out in the morning.

Unread 03/18/2015, 11:25 AM   #15
pyithar
Registered Member

ireland looks like a very nice place to live btw (by looking at the pic ). is it republic of ireland or northern ireland?

Unread 03/18/2015, 11:36 AM   #16
djcarley1
Registered Member

Quote:
ireland looks like a very nice place to live btw (by looking at the pic ). is it republic of ireland or northern ireland?
It is when it's not raining I live in the republic county Wicklow. They call it the garden of Ireland.

Unread 03/18/2015, 11:42 AM   #17
SLOW1
Registered Member

I like the bleaching of the rock. I wish I had done this years ago when I started my tank. Would have saved me a lot of headaches.

SLOW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2015, 11:50 AM   #18
pyithar
Registered Member

Quote:
It is when it's not raining I live in the republic county Wicklow. They call it the garden of Ireland.
i see. it's the country where footballers like roy keane, dennis irwin and john o'shea are from i think.

Unread 03/19/2015, 06:32 AM   #19
djcarley1
Registered Member

Another great day of drying.
Soaking them in ro water now

Unread 03/21/2015, 05:29 AM   #20
djcarley1
Registered Member

Update

I left the rocks in ro water for 3 days with a power head. I can still smell bleach. Should I let them dry out in the sun again?

Unread 03/21/2015, 06:12 AM   #21
pdiehm
Registered Member

did you put in a de-chlorinator such as Prime?

pdiehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2015, 06:25 AM   #22
djcarley1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiehm View Post
did you put in a de-chlorinator such as Prime?
Not yet. It will be next week before I get to my lfs. Will prime neutralise the bleach.

Unread 03/29/2015, 02:46 AM   #23
djcarley1
Registered Member

Update...... So I have my rock in a container with some prime. Question how long should I leave it for and can I put it straight into my tank and start cycling after ?

Unread 03/29/2015, 09:28 AM   #24
Chevrefils
Registered Member

Quote:
Update...... So I have my rock in a container with some prime. Question how long should I leave it for and can I put it straight into my tank and start cycling after ?
After this soak and one more time of drying i think your rocks will be good to go. Others can chime in on that but from my experience bleach neutralizes pretty quickly.

Chevrefils is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2015, 11:49 AM   #25
djcarley1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrefils View Post
After this soak and one more time of drying i think your rocks will be good to go. Others can chime in on that but from my experience bleach neutralizes pretty quickly.
Thanks chevrefils. Do you know how long I should leave them soak for ? They have been in there for a day now.