Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/03/2015, 12:47 AM   #1
Trailermann
Registered Member

Question refugium water supply source?

My sump will have a return in between the skimmer and refugium sections to allow different flow rates.

should the fuge water come from the DT overflow? If so, would a sock help keep out detritus or is it better to give the macro algae more organics?

On the other hand, I could divert some of the return line's water over to the fuge after that water has gone through the skimmer.

Thoughts?

Trailermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2015, 12:54 AM   #2
Coelli
Registered Member

In researching this myself I found everyone had a different opinion and I couldn't find a consensus. In the end, I chose to tee off from my return to help keep detritus down and have less "stuff" coming from the fuge to the return. It didn't seem to make sense to send water back to the tank that hadn't been through the sock and skimmer first.

Coelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2015, 11:09 AM   #3
wetWolger
Registered Member

The way I am planning my setup it will be exactly as you describe. I am unsure as well....

The thought is I wonder if it would be better for copepod production to have a gentler flow. So I was going to send about half and half to skimmer and fuge, then have a powerful return pump (and use a herbie to try and cut down on the overflow noise). Because I would be using herbie, I was going to have the full siphon going into the two sections, and have two gate valves (one for each split output) so i can control not just the herbie flow amount, but how much is going in to each section.

The advantage to this as well is that I can put a filter sock on the return going into the skimmer area, but no sock on the one into the fuge. Allowing easier pod transport between the display and fuge.

My fear is the flow will be too low in both sections.....

With that said, none of this is reality, still planning.

Current Tank Info: 66gal = 32x24x20
wetWolger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
macro algae, refugium flow, refugium/sump, sock