Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/20/2014, 06:46 PM   #1
thedasher
Registered Member

How many watts?

I was wondering how many watts a typical house outlet in the U.S, specifically Michigan, can handle? Because I want to add an outlet multiplier but cant over power it.

thedasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2014, 07:09 PM   #2
garyinco
Registered Member

Typical household outlet circuit breaker is 15 amps. Amps times voltage = watts. So technically ~1600 watts for all the outlets/lights on that circuit. Michigan, huh? Check your main breaker box to see if the brand is Federal Pacific Electric. Very popular in that part of the country from structures 30-50 years ago. They had some problems. If so, you might put it on your list to have it changed out to a newer one*. And I wouldn't push the limits on the power you pull from that circuit.

*If you own the property and ever want to sell it the typical buyer inspection will insist you replace it, so convince the roomie it's inevitable and while it's being replaced you can have the electrician run a couple of dedicated 15 amp circuits to your tank. :)

garyinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2014, 07:19 PM   #3
thedasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyinco View Post
Typical household outlet circuit breaker is 15 amps. Amps times voltage = watts. So technically ~1600 watts for all the outlets/lights on that circuit. Michigan, huh? Check your main breaker box to see if the brand is Federal Pacific Electric. Very popular in that part of the country from structures 30-50 years ago. They had some problems. If so, you might put it on your list to have it changed out to a newer one*. And I wouldn't push the limits on the power you pull from that circuit.

*If you own the property and ever want to sell it the typical buyer inspection will insist you replace it, so convince the roomie it's inevitable and while it's being replaced you can have the electrician run a couple of dedicated 15 amp circuits to your tank.
Yah we just refinished the basement so every outlet is brand new and thats where I just setup the tank.

Unread 11/20/2014, 08:04 PM   #4
sonoma2nv
Registered Member

he said breaker box.just changing the outlets to new wouldnt matter if u still have a 15amp breaker,or the problems he said if u have that type of box.

sonoma2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2014, 08:11 PM   #5
thedasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma2nv View Post
he said breaker box.just changing the outlets to new wouldnt matter if u still have a 15amp breaker,or the problems he said if u have that type of box.
Yah we changed the breaker box too. We redid all the wiring, lights, walls flooring. It's like a second house now.

Unread 11/21/2014, 06:24 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

cough.. GFCI.. cough

mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2014, 06:59 AM   #7
alton
Registered Member

I consider my aquarium a continuous load (80%) so
20 amp breaker #12 wire 1,920 watts - 15 amp breaker #14 wire 1,440 watts. Lights and heaters are the biggest users, our pumps are minimal. Don't forget to add 25% to your heater loads and 15% to your largest motor load. And I am sure your electrician used Arc Fault breakers, so just add GFCI receptacles for equipment submersed in water.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2014, 09:18 AM   #8
thedasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
I consider my aquarium a continuous load (80%) so
20 amp breaker #12 wire 1,920 watts - 15 amp breaker #14 wire 1,440 watts. Lights and heaters are the biggest users, our pumps are minimal. Don't forget to add 25% to your heater loads and 15% to your largest motor load. And I am sure your electrician used Arc Fault breakers, so just add GFCI receptacles for equipment submersed in water.
Yah my electrician added gfci's and arc fault circuit breakers so I'm all set with those. Thanks for the help guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
cough.. GFCI.. cough

Unread 11/21/2014, 12:45 PM   #9
alton
Registered Member

Then relax and enjoy

alton is offline   Reply With Quote