Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2010, 04:09 PM   #101
CyCLoBoT
Registered Member

Very unique setup you have there. I don't think I've seen anything like it before. Looks great.

CyCLoBoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 04:09 PM   #102
Konolua
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron1987 View Post
Fantastic and unique tank. It's set the wheels turning all sorts of ways in my head for a tank upgrade I've been planning. Truly inspiring to see people do something so radically different and in impeccable form.
Thanks! That was nice to say...impeccable! I am not sure it fits that bill, but it was a great deal of fun doing something that is not common!

The Volcano Tank

Current Tank Info: The Volcano Tank: Reef Central Thread
Konolua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 04:59 PM   #103
cincyreefer1
Registered Member

im on board with pretty much everyone else, very unique and just a cool idea. Well done!!

cincyreefer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 05:16 PM   #104
donkeys4hire
Registered Member

What kind of fish is this?

donkeys4hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 05:17 PM   #105
donkeys4hire
Registered Member

Pretty cool idea and execution. Thanx for sharing.

donkeys4hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 05:19 PM   #106
Konolua
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeys4hire View Post
What kind of fish is this?

Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish.

Cool little guy.....

The Volcano Tank

Unread 03/29/2010, 05:37 PM   #107
FrozenSeas
Registered Member

Wow I love your set up. I'm a big crab freak so I don't have to tell you that I wish they were mine. If I was starting again I would try something along the same line. Not thinking it would be better I would just not want to copy you.
That is so original I just love it. Congratulations on a awesome set up.

FrozenSeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 05:43 PM   #108
xurifle06
Registered Member

great looking tank. the layout and simplicity are fascinating. reminds of me walking through the tidepools here on the east coast only incredibly sweeter! do two species of clowns get along? keep up the good work!

Rich

xurifle06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 05:50 PM   #109
grammatron
Registered Member

I love this tank!

grammatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 06:09 PM   #110
Seeing Green
Registered Member

+1 on the clown question.

Additionally, you were talking about running LED's in it and trying to get more actinic i the look. It seems so much like natural daylight in there now with the 150's that I hope this doesn't throw that really natural look by making it "too blue." I know that you said you were going to go minimal on it, so I am sure you have a solid plan. Personally, I like blue tanks but I would be afraid of that with this because it is so pristine looking as it is.

So out of a morbid sense of curiosity, how much time / day do you spend on this?

Thanks!

Seeing Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 06:38 PM   #111
dvanacker
DID I SOUNDS SMRT??

Very original.

Cheers!

Current Tank Info: 200g SPS dominant Mixed Reef
dvanacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 06:41 PM   #112
biecacka
Registered Member

great tank. am i correct in that you said the crabs where not bought from a store?

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 07:00 PM   #113
jbird69
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
great tank. am i correct in that you said the crabs where not bought from a store?

Those are a native crab that can be collected in rocky tidal areas up and down the west coast. Very common. The tidepools are alive with them.

Unread 03/29/2010, 07:11 PM   #114
HHIreefer843
Registered Member

hey man i kno its a pain but ca you give a brief fish/coral list.....i cannot get over this tank!!!!

Unread 03/29/2010, 07:41 PM   #115
Konolua
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeing Green View Post
+1 on the clown question.

Additionally, you were talking about running LED's in it and trying to get more actinic i the look. It seems so much like natural daylight in there now with the 150's that I hope this doesn't throw that really natural look by making it "too blue." I know that you said you were going to go minimal on it, so I am sure you have a solid plan. Personally, I like blue tanks but I would be afraid of that with this because it is so pristine looking as it is.

So out of a morbid sense of curiosity, how much time / day do you spend on this?

Thanks!
Now, I am running 10k's on this and the LED's would net probably a 12k, but here is the difference....I would have SOMETHING (even if minimal) bringing a touch of blue to the game, so I am sure I would retain the same white balance. Frankly, in real life, there is a slight yellow tint that is not all that attractive as it reflects off of the algae and etc. in the sand bed. If I clean the sand bed, I am good, but without a touch of blue greens can seem brown & etc.

However, my net goal (and frankly unwaverable) is to retain a pure white light, rather than blue. I like blue too, but it just got a little too routine for me...

Like all of us, I can spend 1 minute or 4 hours a day on it! I probably spend on average 20 minutes a day with it. Probably less.....then I do a lot on Friday or Thursday like water changes and stuff. I plumbed in a facilitated water change system. I have a T off the closed loop that runs under ground and connects to a drainage line. I also have a T on the intake of that pump as well that I connect the trash can I mix the salt in. I have plumbed through the bottom of the trash can. So, I mix the salt water, open the valve to the drain line....water drains, I close the valve, open the valve to the intake and the tank fills back up. Net "out of water" time for the animals is 3-4 minutes.

So, cleaning is really the only thing that takes time.

The Volcano Tank

Unread 03/29/2010, 07:43 PM   #116
Konolua
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird69 View Post
Those are a native crab that can be collected in rocky tidal areas up and down the west coast. Very common. The tidepools are alive with them.
True! They are everywhere...when you find them. They herd together and are like those pictures you have to stare at before you see the OTHER picture. Once you see the other picture, you can't NOT see it! Same with the crabs. You see one, you will see a million.

The Volcano Tank

Unread 03/29/2010, 07:44 PM   #117
Konolua
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIreefer843 View Post
hey man i kno its a pain but ca you give a brief fish/coral list.....i cannot get over this tank!!!!
Yes. I will. Here is the fish list....

Desjardini Sailfin Tang
Purple Tang
Sebae Clown - 2
Black Ocellaris Clown - 2
Ocellaris Clown - 2
Yellow Fin Damsel - 2
Green Chromis - 1 (I removed all the chromis a couple months ago and this guy appeared out of nowhere around 1 month later. I believe he got in the center overflow and somehow made it out eventually. Really crazy.)
Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish

Coral list to come....

The Volcano Tank

Unread 03/29/2010, 07:48 PM   #118
Konolua
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurifle06 View Post
great looking tank. the layout and simplicity are fascinating. reminds of me walking through the tidepools here on the east coast only incredibly sweeter! do two species of clowns get along? keep up the good work!

Rich
Now, in MY experience, clowns get along fine, provided the proper order is followed. Kind of like Tangs.

I did the Black Ocellaris first, though with the Ocellaris immediately after (two days max, maybe even one day after....I forget). Then I waited a week or so and did the Sebae's. Sebae's are a little more like Maroons in attitude (not as bad).

Also, just make sure to add many if you are adding more after you have established one there already.....

Just my two cents....

The Volcano Tank

Unread 03/29/2010, 08:07 PM   #119
hellbob
Registered Member

Very unique; as if that hasn't already been pointed out. what and how do you feed the crabs? Are they learning to "know" you and do they anticipate being fed?

hellbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 08:40 PM   #120
h2oimports
Registered Member

wow.. nice.

h2oimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 09:00 PM   #121
xurifle06
Registered Member

wow. 3 pairs of clowns. i only noticed 2. i watched the time lapse video and thought i was funny seeing the ocellaris swim towards the nem with the two blacks only to be chased away (Multiple times lol). Again sweet looking tank!

Rich

xurifle06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 09:01 PM   #122
spamreefnew
Registered Member

i have been watching this tank with envy for months now! love it! its like 2-d vs 3-d!!

spamreefnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 11:01 PM   #123
Konolua
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbob View Post
Very unique; as if that hasn't already been pointed out. what and how do you feed the crabs? Are they learning to "know" you and do they anticipate being fed?
You bet they are used to me! Man, it is nuts...I can barely move coral around or scrub algae without them running all over my hand! Think of it this way....pretend you have a really cool cleaner shrimp. Everytime your hand goes in the water, the thing comes swimming over and runs up and down your hand. Now, sometimes that nice light pretty cleaner shrimp picks on your skin and every now and then it gets under your cuticle on your fingers....that happened to you? Remember how that hurts like hell and it comes out of nowhere? Yeah.....

.....so, now imagine that shrimp can't swim but is instead 10 times the size, and 20 times the weight, with 20 times the size of the claws, and everytime you put your hand in, 8 or so of them run at you. But, it is not like the cleaner shrimp where you can see it...no, these dudes are stealth ninjas that drop like spiders...or come out of holes, or blend in with the rock you are moving! And, they are not mean...and in fact they are more interested in what is going on than "attacking" but if they get the side of your finger, or your pinky...man IT KILLS!!

So, anyway, just a side affect. I know how to pick them up and handle them, but it's the routine stuff that they get me on since I am not expecting it......

Oh, and I feed them shrimp, krill, squid, and lettuce.

The Volcano Tank

Unread 03/29/2010, 11:03 PM   #124
Konolua
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurifle06 View Post
wow. 3 pairs of clowns. i only noticed 2. i watched the time lapse video and thought i was funny seeing the ocellaris swim towards the nem with the two blacks only to be chased away (Multiple times lol). Again sweet looking tank!

Rich
Pair of black ocellaris too....in the time lapse, you can see one very clearly in the back left, and the other stays smack in the middle back of the tank (rad).

The Volcano Tank

Unread 03/30/2010, 06:59 AM   #125
buffalo123
Registered Member

Great set up; wonder what other plant life could be placed on the rock other than the mangrove.

buffalo123 is offline   Reply With Quote